SABR Defensive Index for 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum SABR Defensive Index for 2019

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

This is very good information, especially as the Cardinals try to figure out the right balance of offense and defense.

3B is indeed a glaring hole as Carp is not bringing good offense OR good defense. That is a bad combination. DeJong, Wong, Goldy, and Yadi are as solid as they come and shouldn’t be touched.

As for the OF, we know Fowler will be around because of his contract. Ozuna’s poor defense is just more reason he should not be brought back next year in addition to the big contract he will want. O’Neill would be a defensive upgrade, similar offensive production I think, and at a fraction of the cost.

JMart should be moved. Period.

Bader is a tough one. His defense obviously is the best in the league but can this offense carry a .200 hitter? I don’t think so at this point. Harry is a 4th OF right now.

Participant

Free

We really have one problem. We need to keep the defense intact. But, we keep looking at our best defenders and need more offense from them. Why is that? Very simply, we are getting zero offense from a rather weak defender at third. We need offense at third, or right, or left where our defense is lacking. But, we really aren’t getting much from anywhere.

If Goldschmidt or Carp were contributing at a 290 clip, we would be in first place in the division. No matter what trade we might make, unless it gets us production at 3B, LF, or RF, we have sacrificed something to gain nothing. Anything that results with Carp still at third and hitting 208 with an average of two Ks per game is a wasted effort. You can’t leave that big of a hole in both offense and defense at one position.

If you trade Wong, you might get a 265 hitter at 2B. But, you sacrifice defense that is ranked #1. DeJong isn’t having a good offensive year. If he were at 290, it would make a huge difference. His defense is excellent.

Either Carp hits, or we are better off giving him away for nothing. We are better with Edman. Munoz seems to leave a bit more on the table defensively. Trades seem pointless if we don’t plug that hole.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Diz. I proposed some potential 3B rentals in the Trade thread plus a two year stopgap until Gorman arrives. Carp is a utility player now.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DRS is one of the five metrics making up the SDI, which is 25% of the Gold Glove Award scoring.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years