Minor league thread – Fri 7/12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Fri 7/12

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. OKC, 7:05 pm CT, Austin Warner (0-0, 9.28)
    Springfield vs. Arkansas, 7:10 pm CT, Tommy Parsons (3-2, 4.25)
    Palm Beach vs. Jupiter, 6:30 pm ET, TBA
    Peoria vs. Lansing, 6:35 pm CT, Colin Schmid (3-4, 4.83)
    State College at Tri-City, 7:00 pm ET, Enmanuel Solano (1-3, 4.08)
    Johnson City at Bristol, 6:30 pm ET, Jose Moreno (1-2, 9.77)
    GCL Cards at Astros, 12:00 pm ET, Nathanael Heredia (1-1, 3.75)
    DSL Blue vs. Orioles2, 10:30 am ET, Wilmer Ortega (2-0, 2.42)
    DSL Red at Phillies White, 10:30 am ET, Henry Gomez (0-0, 3.00)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gorman went just 1-for-5 tonight with a K, but the hit was a three-run blast. It is his second HR with Palm Beach. The team scored 10 runs as Julio Rodriguez and Nick Plummer also went deep.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Chris Beck took the ninth for Memphis with a one-run lead. He gave up four runs to fall to 0-7 on the season with a 6.69 ERA. The Redbirds are 36-56.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Again, I do not understand the management at Memphis. Fernandez, unless unavailable, should have closed out the game. He had thrown 6 pitches the night before, and before that was the AAA all star game, so he was rested. Also, what gave anyone confidence that Beck was going to close the game successfully? Coming into the game he was 0-6. Soon to be 0-7. I know Memphis is doing terrible, but the object is still to win games. THis is right up there with Drew Robinson getting priority playing time over Tommy Edman at AAA. Head scratchers??

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, we don’t have the trainer’s info to know who was available and who was not, but Beck was a bad choice for the ninth with a one-run lead.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In his last 10 games Fernandez has given up one earned run in 15+ innings pitched. I don’t believe that he has been used as a closer once while journeymen like Beck have blown game after game.

Also Johnson has used Hudson at catcher instead of Knizner a fair number of times. Anyone bet that Hudson will be a starting major league catcher. Some of it is due to Knizner being called up but I have observed a number of games where Hudson was played with Knizner on the bench. I thought the plan was to get Knizner reps to improve his defense.

Again injuries are not known to the likes of me but the Memphis team has been a train wreck. Certainly they have been hampered by injuries and call-ups but so was Stubby the last two years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The problem as I see it is that the talent in Memphis is not as strong as in past years, especially on the pitching side. The rotation includes two journeymen (Arauz and Hauschild) and other than Elledge, Fernandez and Helsley (who has been struggling), the pen has no real prospects. On the starting side, it is steady Woodford and inconsistent Cabrera.

Memphis’ team ERA is 5.24. Last year, it was 3.54. A huge difference.

I imagine if the organization was concerned about Hudson playing too much over Knizner, Johnson would have been advised. None of the teams operate in a vacuum.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s strange when a pitcher is struggling like Beck with a terrible ERA, and at 0-6 would be given a chance to be 0-7. To me Fernandez should be the closer, with Helsley and Cervenka my second choices. With Hicks out for most of 2020, Fernandez is a candidate for closer role in St Lou at some point in the next 2 years. I would imagine CMart would be back as a starter next year, but that is far from a sure thing either.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.