Minor league thread – Fri 5/31

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor league thread – Fri 5/31

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis vs. Oklahoma City, 7:05 pm CT, Ryan Helsley (1-0, 3.05)
    Springfield vs. NW Arkansas, 7:10 pm CT, Austin Warner (2-4, 4.01)
    Palm Beach at Florida, 6:00 pm ET, TBA
    Peoria at Wisconsin, 6:35 pm CT, Kyle Leahy (2-4, 4.75)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shouldn’t the Knizner callup likely get O’Keefe/Godoy to Memphis, Rodriguez to Springfield, and Herrera to Palm Beach. And Soto to Peoria?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Godoy part has already happened, but remember that Springfield already has Chris Chinea as first baseman/third catcher, so the S-Cards may get another position player instead. How broad the other catching moves will be may depend on how long Molina is expected to be out and until his second opinion, we don’t know.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Rodriguez should get a chance. I think whenever he goes to Springfield, he’ll show more power.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My point is that if Molina misses 10 days, for example, all the moves would soon have to be backed right out again.

FWIW, Rodriguez is in Palm Beach’s lineup tonight. The starting pitcher is Edgar Gonzalez (2.94 ERA).

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

DSL Rosters are out and there’s a surprising amount of players that changed from Blue to Red and vise-versa.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Record wise, does any organization have a worse farm system record than our Cardinals? Talent wise, we know that we are nowhere near the bottom. Is this a reflection on our minor league coaching? If these coaches are are so top heavy in their tutorledge of the physical individual coaching over teaching all of the “little things” it takes for a team to be successful, then I think changes need to be made.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I have been warning for months and months that the pitching is down. The bullpens have been especially bad. Also, many of the middle tier of hitters aren’t hitting. The coaches are pretty much the same as before, when things were going well. Talent wins games.

Just last season, the Cards ranked sixth of the 30 organizations in the US with a .534 winning percentage. Right now, they are at .463. I don’t know how that stacks up in 2019, but in 2018, .463 would have been 26th of 30 organizations, so yes, it is pretty rough.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great info as always. Thanks Brian!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob Reed brought this topic up in the 5-28 minor league thread. Here is what I said then.

I totally agree Bob. W-L records for minor league teams can be misleading and sometimes irrelevant. Their number one job is player development. Minor league teams have so many players constantly coming and going the team concept is sometimes hard to materialize. I’m sure each local affiliate wants to win games to please their local fans but the big picture is player development, and as you noted, we have several in the pipeline to feel good about.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, player development is always no. 1. It should be assumed that 30 of 30 farm system staffs would say the exact same thing. Their job is to prepare MLB-ready players.

Having said that, they also strive to maintain a winning culture. The change in the Cardinals W-L fortunes at full season this year is significant and mirrors what we saw at State College and Johnson City last year (aggregate .465 W-L). Part of the reason Memphis is down this year is that Springfield was down last year, etc.

You can brush it aside, but the fact is that the Cardinals’ US affiliates finished in aggregate above .500 in eight of the last nine years, with the only exception in 2014. That isn’t coincidence.

That does not mean there will not always be prospects to root for. There are just fewer of the blue chip ones, in my assessment.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years