Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My hope is 82 games. That is midway between 114 and 50.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I agree.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So the players want a 114 game season.

The owners now want 50-60 games season that basically put the payout to the players at almost the same % of the original proposal which the players rejected.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

First owner proposal was 82 games at 25% of contracts, on a sliding pay scale. Second proposal is 33% of each individual contract, over 54 games (as an example).

Players are sitting on 4% of 2020 pay, with no further earning power until games are played. They may counter propose again, but imo this should be acceptable financially to them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In case anyone was in doubt about where Jack Flaherty stands…

https://twitter.com/Jack9Flaherty/status/1270041809775816707

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This tells you where the owners stand, also.

bccran
    Participant

Does Flaherty have any concept of what’s going on in this country today?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran asked:

If you followed him, you would know that he speaks out on social matters more than many athletes. That he also supports players rights regarding their compensation should not be held against him, IMO.

I was asked this morning by Danny Mac if I thought Flaherty’s remarks would impact him. I said, no, that his stance on Union matters has no effect on his job pitching for the Cardinals. I did add, however, that I think it will be very difficult to keep him from free agency when he is eligible down the road. In the meantime, I expect he will be an exceptional pitcher.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Considering he is biracial, yes he does and if you followed him on social media you would see that.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote: That he also supports players rights regarding their compensation should not be held against him, IMO.

I would not hold it against him but I have very little sympathy for MLB players whose average salary is 4.4 MILLION with a low of over $550 thousand. The entire country is suffering through an economic depression caused through no fault of their own yet people who play a kids game quibble over starting a season in front of no fans and demand health measures that are not practical or can be guaranteed. I know it may be a bit dramatic but I view it as your house being on fire but the firemen refuse to come because they may not get paid enough. Perhaps it would be best for all around to not have a season and let’s just start new in Feb 2021.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

MM3, I was going to reply point by point, but decided it would be pointless… 😉

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t know too many “kids game” where the owners of the sport generate 9 billion in revenue.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB has recently been a $10 billion industry but….

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the above was posted in a different thread but i thought it kind of fits in this one too. Weird for DeWitt to say that with a straight face.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rob, how do you think it will be received?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

This is a great time to stand up the MLBFA (F = Fans). Put owners and players on notice that fan attendance will not resume until the following conditions are met.

– Reduction in in ticket prices
    – Reduction in parking prices
    – Reduction in concession prices
    – Reduction in merchandise prices
    – Reduction in MLB.tv and other advanced media prices
    – Reduction in cable TV / extra innings prices
    – Elimination of TV blackout rules
    – Etc.

Fans see the world doesn’t end when pro sports go away. There are options — and this time more people will be forced to make some choices. Tolerance is pretty low for taking another shafting from the owners/players/agents and bailing out their greedy derrieres. That’s the current mood for many, but how durable will this attitude be?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Add another condition to that list…

– long term, guaranteed contracts are eliminated (MLBFA members are fed up with going to a game and having to watch players like Albert Pujols, Dexter Fowler, Jason Heyward, and many others standing around on the field waiting for the clock to run out on their mega-contracts)

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Good addition, Mud. It’s a working list. 😉

Some of the very good players probably deserve some built-in equity, but performance needs to re-enter the equation fairly quickly. It’s hard to tell if the established players and union care more or less about the prospects than the owners do.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Boom!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Is Max lobbying for pay on par with Amazon employees?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Brian wrote: MM3, I was going to reply point by point, but decided it would be pointless… 😉

Gotcha.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I have always been a fan of what I call a ‘Production Pay System’ under which players are paid based on what they produce in a season and not what they have produced in past seasons. No long term contracts, in fact no contracts at all. Establish a pay chart with allowances for things such as games played (or innings played), at bats, hits (singles/doubles/triples), etc, etc with established amounts for defensive excellence too. The pay would have to allow for a substantial amount for the best players and be scaled down to the average player. When do I expect such a system to take root in MLB? Never. EOS.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

RE: Production Pay System

A very similar pay system that is currently used to pay players after their near minimum years, and until they earn free agency, is called arb salaries. A season at a time, based on individual production vs their peers.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This gets to the very heart of DeWitt’s tone-deaf comment.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 499 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.