Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Agreement on 2020 salaries/service time/contracts

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 499 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I suspect they were quiet the last two days to not take focus away from their draft.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

They just keep repackaging the same crap thinking everyone else is stupid.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not surprised that the numbers are like moving goalposts.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Reactions to the owner’s latest proposal:

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

The owners are definitely flexing their muscle to say the least. There are a few who talk more negative about DeWallet than me, BUT, if they are going to be actually losing money by paying 100% of the salaries by playing games/paying players, what is their motivation to start the season earlier and not drag this out even longer?

I wonder if MLB, or individual teams, etc have gone to their networks and asked for more? It would be very simple to argue for it. Your ratings will be much higher due to everyone either not being able to go to games, or for my personal example, some of us Illinoisans who are living in a Pritzkercratic society will all be tuned in? I would not be surprised in the least if ratings doubled in an 81 (50%) game season.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, yes 640K per game in players salaries only. An earlier link you provided had the players full prorated salary at 1.9 billion over 82 games. I guess the 4 billion includes all expenses.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CFICT,
    70% GUARANTEED pay over 72 regular season games is the same overall dollars as 50 games at 100% pay. The commissioner even suggested a 48 game schedule previously. The owners are showing their losses cap each proposal, just tweeking the amount of games and the % of full pay each time.

If the players are going to hold out for 100% pro-rated regular season pay, they should expect a 50-ish game season. 54 games is 33% of a season, which is what Flaherty alluded to on his twitter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is getting uglier… There is speculation out there that Manfred is on the hot seat with hard line owners for the March agreement that the players are sticking to.

For those who don’t subscribe to The Athletic, here is a summary.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-players-vs-owners-rift-deepens-with-letter-included-with-latest-offer-to-mlbpa/

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This is the prelude to what the next CBA is gonna be like.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This gentleman (also mentioned above) is a professional negotiator who has been watching the proceedings. He is critical of ownership’s tactics if the intent is to strike an agreement.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I can’t side with players on this one.

It’s a strange situation and whatever deal they agree to for this season will not carry forward to the next CBA. Two totally independent negotiations.

The owners should set up a sliding scale for % of salary (loosely based on how federal income tax is paid) not just an across the board number.

Lower salary players should receive a higher % of their salary.

The big boys will take the biggest % cut but obviously still make the most money by far, as they should.

Another angle would be for the Owners to say – based on average expected income per game – here is the total amount of money we can pay a team per game based on an X game season. You players decide how you want to split it up.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The whole problems stems from the original agreement both sides made back in March. MLB agreed to pay players 100% pro rata. Now the owners are wanting to renege on the deal and people are still trying to blame the players.

I’m sure though that the people carrying the owner’s water would also agree that the owners should increase salaries on the whim when things are going financially well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is not going to end well. Manfred may try to unilaterally implement a 48 or 50 game season but the next CBA, which is just around the corner, is going to be an all out war. Both sides are dug in and there will be some long memories come CBA time.

Oh well, 26 years of labor peace was a good run I suppose. DeWitt will have plenty of time to go visit his new mansion in Hollywood, assuming that he still has enough funds left to do it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    ZTR
    Participant

Free

Probably dealing with a moving target financially and it’s a complex enough situation that probably on one posting here fully understands all the moving parts.

I don’t expect any business owner to operate at a loss. If they choose to, fine.

The players are employees. If they make a roster they have a choice about whether or not they want to play baseball for a living.

If enough players get fed up they can go start their own league – don’t believe it would be the first time?

Personally, I would like to watch some baseball but if they don’t play then they don’t play – not much we can do about it.

MLB is the owners and players calf to kill if that’s what they want to do. Watching players in all sports becoming political activists while ‘on the job’ has driven me away from several sports already. May be best if baseball just cancels the season, lets everything settle down, and starts fresh next year.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ZTR. You’re POV makes sense. The problem is that there is an opposing POV that also makes sense. Each side is totally convinced that their point of view is the only point of view that is valid. Neither side wants to try to understand what the other has to say. In other words there’s no actual dialogue. Both sides are trying to resolve their issues be digging in with the strategy that eventually the other side will collapse. I only hope that after this is over the game becomes more competitive, and that younger generations of fans start finding the game exciting again, and that attendances begins going up rather than down year after year. If that doesn’t happen, there will be nothing to dig in about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

But baseball is simply not very profitable.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I mentioned to another poster… Why doesn’t somebody ask Mr. DeWitt, and other owners, what ‘not very profitable’ means rather than just making incendiary comments. There’s probably a way to find that out without having to have them show you their IRS 1040’s. If you’re already 100 per cent sure they’re only going to lie to you, then you should probably sit down and shut up because you are of no use in solving anything.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

oh my, this should be good

bccran
    Participant

If you understand how private equity works, you’d understand Bill Dewitt’s remark.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

If MLB and the PA can’t keep their negotiations secret there will likely be no agreement because of fan griping and scribblers guessing. Leaks from the talks remind me of leaks in the political arena. Somebody is looking to get an edge when they leak information.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Looks like it will probably be a 45-50 game season

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The next CBA is going to be awful.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 499 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.