2021 Cardinals MLB Game 140 thread – Monday, September 13 at Mets

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 140 thread – Monday, September 13 at Mets

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:10 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (15-7, 2.98) vs. LHP Rich Hill (6-6, 3.82)
    MLB Network // BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I said in another thread that the schedule the rest of the way favors the Reds. It does, but I failed to include the fact that they do have two at the WhiteSox in the last week of the season. That wont be no easy task.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

This is a quote from Cards Conclave:

This Cardinals team is like a boomerang. We keep throwing their season out as over, but they keep coming right back in staying relevant and in the hunt for that last wild card spot.

This a very weird season…. they’re up -they’re down. Like a boxer taking a beating but getting right back up. Or like a crowd leaving a ballpark early in the bottom of ninth with their home team down…. they hear big cheers and turn around to scamper back to their seats.

The Card’s projected play-off chances are still low…. but we should all stay in there. Get up and get back in.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

The inescapable fact is that our Cardinals, God love’em, are a mediocre team this year and as spunky as they might occasionally be they are undeserving of post-season play.

But if they luck into it I’ll certainly be cheering.

Rah Cardinals!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The inescapable fact is that our Cardinals, God love’em, are a mediocre team this year and as spunky as they might occasionally be they are undeserving of post-season play.

But if they luck into it I’ll certainly be cheering.

CIF, this is pretty much me too. Playoffs are much better if your team is playing. I’ve gotten to where I don’t want to pay much to attend pro sports events these days. However, I’d still pay a premium to see this year’s version of Wainwright pitch a playoff game in Busch with the hope of him going deep in the game and giving the Cards a chance to win a close one. Those are electric games to witness live.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say most of us, if we are being honest, echo the sentiments of CIF and Euro. While we get frustrated and may want to turn away from the Birds sometimes, we all keep coming back because it is in our DNA. When you have invested most of your life following an organization it is difficult not to keep thinking success is around the corner, no matter how maddening they can be.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As you guys have said, we all acknowledge that the 2021 Cardinals are not a great team by any means, but with the system as it is if they crawl into a post season game, we will certainly be rooting for them.

What I do in seasons where the Cardinals are not in the hunt is root for individual accomplishments. For this team, it looks like Arenado will get to 100 RBI. Can he add 35 homers to that? Those would be some nice numbers, and you shudder to think where we would be without him.

How about Ty O’Neill? Can make make a push and get to 30 bombs? Will Waino win 18?

Rat can relate to this, but these sort of things were important to me as a kid playing APBA baseball, as I looked forward to seeing what kind of card some of my favorite players would get in next year’s set. Now it’s mostly just to see the goals a guy can get to.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There have been some interesting individual performances with St Louis this year, but like with the minor league system it seems like the overall team just keeps suffering. There is talent here so it’s a bit of a stumper; hopefully next year we see a return to the winning ways with maybe a key acquisition or two.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Just checked Lane Thomas’ numbers and he has a reasonable amount of PAs, 111. Still a small sample size but about 20% of a full season. He is hitting .305 with a .933 OPS and 154 OPS+.

Seems like he always had that potential, but just did not do much for us. Still he could flame out, but he has dome well in his early trials with Washington. That cannot be said for some guys we gave a shot to (Williams comes to mind – Nootbaar and Rondon have both struggled as well).

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hey BikeMike,
    Funny you should mention stuff like this. I am seriously toying with the idea of another 1998 St. Louis Replay in Strat-O-Matic. Just curious to see how McGwire would fare in another replay. The first one, over 20 years ago, saw him hit 65 homeruns. I have been going through Baseball Reference and looking at some of the players on the various teams. Funny how so many I have forgotten about.

Me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch tonight, watching the Cards/Mets game from Shea Stadium. Then we will probably tune in to the Padres/Giants game from Candlestick later tonight. Season is winding down, not alot of late games left to watch.

r/Esteemed Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m happy for Lane Thomas. I sure would like to know what changed for him and why the Cardinals couldn’t get him to play like he is now. In fairness to the front office, they did find pitchers that were more or less given up on by others meaning Garcia and McFarland, and even Lester and Happ to a certain extent.

I think this whole season is an outlier. I don’t think the major league team is as bad as their record, and I just can’t believe all of the minor league teams are as bad as their records. I’m looking forward next year already, but with the hope that negotiations of the new CBA don’t screen everything up before the season even gets started.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I played Strat-O-Matic every year from 1979-1987. It was a great game. I did 140 game seasons for each team in the NL East then mixed in games with some other teams. I kept full stats too but it was before computers so I had to do it all by hand. I remember going through a lot of paper but enjoyed every minute of it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edman carved up in the first AB. Swinging at a 1-1 pitch at eye level did not help.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino got out of a jam. Threw a lot of pitches that inning (22). Redbirds need to get the offense rolling here.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Just staring at this lineup you can see why they are in this position. After the 4 hole is pretty much not gonna scare anyone.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Double doubles scores Molina. Up 1-0 second inning. Sosa beans the 1st base umpire on a wild fielding throw. Guess field judges gonna need helmets soon. No sticky stuff though!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Slick double play by Nado Tornado!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Watch out for Lindor- he got 3 dingers last night in Mets vs Yankees…

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That definitely hurt. The ump didn’t even see it coming. That happened to me once. I was helping this guy coach and he was doing a drill that I thought was iffy anyway where kids were throwing to two of us around home plate. Well this kid was throwing to other guy but threw it wild and hit me right about where it hit that ump. This kid was one of the hardest throwers too. Left a huge bruise on the side of my head.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Definitely scary Willie, I’m really liking how we’re looking at the plate tonight. Goldy scores Edman
    . Got another run.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino looks like he’s “only” gonna give us 6 innings tonight. Gonna be on the pen to hold onto the 3-0 lead.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright at 89 pitches thru 5 innings.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Molina being lazy tonight. He needs to go down to keep that ball there. Not like him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well if that’s it, good 6 innings by waino. He didn’t have his A game but still bulldogged his way through.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years