What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum What is wrong with Dexter Fowler and what should be done?

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 677 total)
  • Author
    Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It seems to me that Adolis playing full time right now might look a lot like Dexter’s season that drove us all insane.
    My life experiences in managing people’s performance havetaught me that mental attitude and outlook do matter. I called Dexter’s emotional state months before it became public. I cited his family issues with the travel ban, and Dexter’s subsequent move into the national spotlight as a serious contributing factor. This placed Fowler in a position where his focus and thought life were compromised. Add the factor that his boss was easily associated with the conservative personas he was in conflict with, and you have an imperfect storm leading to his dismal performance.
    I believe we will eventually see a significant improvement over last year simply because his off season had a different focus.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler should be around an average RF this year, I’d think. Whether that will be enough to hold off Martinez and/or O’Neill…we shall see. Though I could easily see Tyler spelling Ozuna if he’s not 100% when the season starts.

bccran
    Participant

Agree, BW. But those are 2 pretty good options.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Those two are incredible options as fourth and fifth outfielders. Goldy is going to have a Jack Clark-type effect on this line up, and we should be seeing way more lustre and far fewer flaws with a lot of guys. We wouldn’t have hardly noticed Martinez’s glove if it hadn’t been for the first base experiment.

bccran
    Participant

How many teams have a 4th outfielder who hit .305 with an .821 OPS playing full time in 2018?

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I would guess 0

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nigel, you may be right about Dexter’s problems but many of those same conditions will exist this year as well. I will add that if Dexter is not professional enough to seperate those things from his on field performance then he is not worthy of my fandom or his salary.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

How about a secret protocol between Mo and Fowler where he agrees to waive his no-trade clause to ten teams, and in turn we agree to play/hype him till the end of August? He saves face and we save two years of his defense. This scenario assumes he isn’t phenomenal (2017) or horrible (2018).

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

People go through trials. Jose is right now. I believe his extension was impacted by need for cash now and our management saw an advantage in helping him out. I am not as conical about it simply being a business as some.
    Fowler has time and perspective on his side. I would be shocked if he isn’t dramatically improved.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Drew Silva -Rotoworld

“I wanted Bryce Harper, but their hands are probably tied in right field with Dexter Fowler still owed $49.5 million. They can and probably should spend more money — flex that “payroll muscle” — but getting Harper would have required eating pretty much every cent that remains on Fowler’s contract. So we’re talking 13 years, $379.5 million, in essence. They could have done it, but I understand why they didn’t.”

For those who wanted Harper these words point out another of many reasons that the Cards passed on BH. IMO Fowler’s signing has hurt this franchise in so many ways. Was Fowler the only reason we don’t have Harper? Not really, but it had to be a factor in the decision-making. Fowler will never produce enough to match the $$ the FO tossed in his lap. It would have been more prudent to have been used in other areas.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

We got Godly. Fowler didn’t stop that from happening. That was plan A. Thinking we were going to jeopardize what we’ve been building when there was a viable option to remain on course is misguided.

NJ315
    Participant

1B was not an area of need. I am fine with having Goldy but keeping Carp at first and getting a left hitting OF was a least an equally good option or maybe even better.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

If “What we’ve been building,” includes a center fielder who can’t hit, a second baseman who can’t hit, a left fielder who can’t throw or hit and a right fielder who can’t field, throw or hit then signing Harper would have been a coup.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler’s exit velocity was at 106 MPH on some swings this spring. There is reason for guarded optimism.

When the vast majority of long-term contracts are a bust time after time, it’s surprising that there are still many fans that want St. Louis to take one on themselves. It’s weird to think that the year after the Yankees take on Stanton’s $330 million dollar contract, he doesn’t even make the All Star team.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ms Paid I was referring to acquiring sluggers through trade and then paying them well while they are still performing ie:McGwire and Holliday, while developing the high-risk aspect of pitching by investing much smaller dollars on high-end arms. You pay for what you get and avoid paying pitchers who are often injured.
    Your criticism voiced in inaccurate absolutes dilutes the intellectual discourse here. Wong can and will hit. Ozuna will hit and made a strong throw yesterday. Fowler has worked tirelessly to get back to where he was, and he could easily have a career year because his bad was never that high.
    So much of life is attitude. If you confess negativity about the desires of your heart with unfounded abandon, you are needlessly going to be unhappy.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Nigel T:

Clever foray into philosophy/therapy…funny.
    The fact that Bader, Wong, Fowler and Ozuna suck at hitting is a virtual metaphysical certainty.
    And, I wouldbn’t call anything said on this forum as “intellectual.”
    No Wong can not hit and never will.
    Ozuna will repeat last year’s performance
    Fowler is a slug and will flop like last year.
    Now, Goldschmidt will have a good year and we’ll need it.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I bet your parents truly suffered in the moments after you opened your Christmas and birthday gifts wondering why they even tried.

14NyquisT
    Participant

That was me. Unfortunately, my Mom tried but didn’t have a clue. To this day, its “get the receipt”.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I was the king of underwear and socks. At one point in high school after I had stopped growing so fast, I owned 52 pairs of underwear. That is a lot of holiday disappointment.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What I find amazing is not necessarily that you had 52 “pairs of underwear”….but that you actually took the time to count them. Good stuff, Nigel! I had kind of an oddity back in school too. I wore size 14 sneakers when I was in the 8th grade. The basketball coach would tell me how tall I was going to be when I was a senior. Well I only grew to 6’2 and I’ve probably lost an inch or so over the years which kind of sucks. I’ve always wanted to live until my 80’s but now I’m thinking twice as at this pace I’ll be like 5’2 if I make it that long.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You could go to astronaut school and start a late career. I hear you’re two inches taller in zero gravity. It would take a lot of time and money, but a small price to pay to recapture a little past glory.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’ve seen numerous Cardinals writers talking about Dexter Fowler is hitting the ball harder this year. However, the analytics don’t support that argument. His exit velocity is sitting at an average 81mph

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/dexter-fowler-451594

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

867 SLG
    leads team in runs scored
    second in RBIs
    tied for second in HR
    leads in number of hits

What, exactly, do you expect of Wong?

He initiates scoring threats, creates them with speed.

edit: only non-pitcher hitting over 269

14NyquisT
    Participant

This from Cole Bornhop on Cardsblog:
    In Fowler’s case, age is becoming a factor in his production and approach. As a player ages, you will see their running game slow down or even shut off completely. Looking at Fowler, he was always a guy that would steal 15-20 bags in a season, but since he got to the Cardinals you see that part of his game slow down. In 2017 he only stole 7 bases, and in 2018 that number dropped to 5. Furthermore, Fowler isn’t hitting for extra bases as much anymore either when it comes to doubles and triples. In 2017 he hit 22 doubles and 9 triples but in 2018 he only had 10 doubles to go along with zero triples. You can tell you are looking at a player who has slowed down quite a bit in his 30’s.
    This description was evident before the 4yr contract. Where is the gold-glove, dependable lead-off hitter with a lot of pop? That’s what the FO told us we were paying big money for for too many years.

And trading for another player with a known arm problem. How does management smooth these things over? Oh yeah, by playing these guys every night and taking ABs from better players with futures ahead of them. WTF?

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 677 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.