Weekly St. Louis team recap

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Weekly St. Louis team recap

This topic contains 105 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 hours, 56 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 106 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, your article mentioned that free agents can sign with any team the next five days but I think you meant to say they can only sign with their current team the next five days.

The Wise/Carlton trade was certainly bad for the Cardinals but I guess we had it coming after the Brock/Broglio trade a decade earlier. The universe has a way of evening things out I guess.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, thank you for reading and commenting. These weekly articles are written by crdswmn, but this error was mine. I fixed it.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read the piece on Medwick’s career which extended well into his forties. That I didn’t realize. He either loved the game tremendously or figured out he couldn’t do anything else but play baseball. My thoughts about Ducky are that he was a gutsy guy and deserved a spot in Cooperstown, NY.

Thanks for taking us back in time.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Crdswmn does a really nice job with these weekly history features. I encouraged her to pull them out on their own for greater visibility, but she prefers them as they are. Glad to know you are enjoying them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

crdswmn did a nice piece on Country Slaughter. He was one of those that had their careers interrupted by WWII, and when he was in his prime years. He was second in the MVP vote in ’42 also had 2 third place MVP years) and was a perennial All-Star.

I always feel bad when great players like Slaughter start kicking around late in their play days… Enos really held on. I remember him as a NYY and his BB card with a Yankee cap. You know, I always saved all the Card player’s cards and had hundreds of others in the ol’ shoe box which my mother tossed one day while I was away at high school. I would have been a millionaire now! 🙂

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our keymaster stirred up some curiosity in me with the Billy Southworth section. I googled the book “Southworth…” and its still in print and can be purchased online. There is a sizable “sample” that will give you a good idea of the author’s (John C. Skipper) style of writing and how the book reads for you.

Southworth had an interesting and mournful life. The book seems to be able to take you back into baseball’s golden years and how a regular “joe” negotiated a long career as a player and manager. The author is a Card fan that grew up in Cub’s country.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As always, credit goes to crdswmn for the weekly history features.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry Marilyn, I missed the byline. The off season reports are always interesting and feature some entertaining pieces. A Card fan’s oasis for the mid-winter doldrums.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years