Weaver down, Tui up

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Weaver down, Tui up

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In other words, Wainwright is ready to step back into the rotation next turn.

NJ315
    Participant

Weaver did very well.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Too bad…. it was interesting to see Weaver being challenged by MLB.

bccran
    Participant

Weaver, Reyes, Flaherty, and Hudson. 4 young studs, on top of Martinez. We should be in good shape for years to come.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Putting aside years to come, you gotta wonder why they think nine relievers this weekend is best with the offense struggling. Just three usable position players on the bench plus the reserve catcher.

bccran
    Participant

Hold the Reds down as much as possible, and hope for an offensive run or two?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Strange roster construction and strange usage – not a good combination.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This move is another in a series of moves that baffle the mind.How many guys does MM need to sit in the bullpen?This team is offensively challenged ……you have some decent bench bats at AAA .Why not add a contact bat who seems to hit for average with some pop.(Rangel Ravelo 1B RH hitter,good average ,extra base pop,good eye).Nick Martini OF (LH bat ,good average,good eye).I know Sierra will be called up but why not either Martini or Ravelo as bench bats to replace Mayers RP who will join a cast of thousands in the already crowed bullpen.FWIW I would also like to see Tyler O`Neill get a callup ……replacing Valera who is not a real option IMHO.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

As sensitive as some of our position players are turning out to be…

Wouldnt be shocked if a lot of it is certain players whining about losing playing time or generally feeling threatened and that’s why some of the bench bats arent up.

To be fair it could also be the fact that memphis is winning and they want to allow them to finish it out… But given the relative importance… Even the ability to play everyday makes no sense.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have taken players from Memphis all year long and it hasn’t hurt the Triple-A team. I hope upon hope that trying to protect Memphis’ roster has ZERO weight on MLB roster decisions.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

You know and I know there should be one or two players up right now that arent. Possibly three.

Nine relievers crosses the border into stupid. Pick almost any position and we could bring up someone to contribute.

There is no rational reason for this insanity. None.

I think bringing up kelly was the org putting its line in the sand because this is ridiculous. If our offense is going to suck anyway bring up the younger guys.

14NyquisT
    Participant

With Weaver back @ MEM, the Redbird rotation (at least 4 will be MLBers) is somewhat close to matching a MLB rotation. Some teams have horrible pitching.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The reason some guys are not up is because other guys are not down or out. I do not believe for a second that the reason is because they are trying to keep Memphis’ roster whole for the playoffs. That was my point.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

The only other reason that I can see would be that they didnt get what they wanted in trade and now are stuck with a bloated roster.

Which makes the trade deadline even more mystifying.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, bloated roster is my assessment. Maybe they didn’t move guys at the deadline because the offers looked like what they got for Adams. (Sorry, Juan Yepez fans.) Just a guess.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

There comes a point where you take what you can get… Or you get nothing.

Juan yepez is better than a 2nd rounder.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No offense taken, but I disagree. Here are the Cardinals’ recent second-rounders. I would not trade the worst of them for Yepez. In the reports I have seen, his best position on defense is DH. His OPS at Peoria is .715, which is below his career mark of .733. Yes, he is young so we will see. Maybe he will become a true prospect, but I don’t see him as one now.

Connor Jones
    Bryce Denton
    Ronnie Williams
    Andrew Morales
    Oscar Mercado
    Carson Kelly
    Charlie Tilson

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

An international million dollar bonus baby is definitely better than a 2nd rounder.

His ops at the same age is higher than carson kelly. Peoria is a tomb to hit in… He is only like 8 months or so older than dylan carlson with similar hitting stats (I like carlson more… But the talent is there). His walk rates have improved since the trade which is encouraging.

Im not saying he is perfect but he is definitely at worst 2nd round talent… And im willing to disagree on whether he is higher or not because it is semi irrelevant (time will tell more than our argument).

What you illustrated is how good our organizational depth is — not how good yepez isnt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wagner Mateo and Roberto De La Cruz were also international bonus babies. All that means is three years ago, Atlanta saw enough in a 15 or 16 year old to risk a lot of money on him. To date, he has not lived up to it.

Regarding Kelly, you gloss over the defensive side. Fielding percentage is not the be-all, end-all, but Yepez’ fielding percentage is worse than Kelly’s the year before they took Kelly off third. Scouts I have spoken with believe Yepez’ only hope defensively is first base, but he is not yet an average defender there, either. Being a first baseman only would put even more pressure on him to hit.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Not trying to gloss it over really… Kelly had enough time at that age to learn one of the toughest defensive positions. I just tend to give kids leeway on certain fronts at that age.

Alex Gordon didnt learn outfield until he was in the bigs. He handled it.

I agree that yepez probably ends up at first and probably has to hit.

But hypothetical… A 22 year old first baseman with bad defense puts up an .850 ops at aaa… Decent prospect? Yeah… top 100? Probably not. But viable and definitely a prospect. Real value.

That’s if he continues hitting better than kelly. Kelly moved to being a top prospect due to position change. Yepez probably wont.

All youre basically saying is our organizational depth is ridiculous — because you are right in pointing out that other players should be ranked higher at this point.

More players like yepez would hardly be a bad thing. Our organizational top 30 this winter will be absurd even with Kelly’s eventual graduation.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Weaver is better off in 3A where he can get regular work. Tui needs to stay at the ML level … The more I see the more I like. He should be should be considered a long-term piece of bull pen.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is it for Tui’s option years, so 2018 will be sink or swim.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

General industry view is the Cards are a middle of the pack farm system.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Given its history of underestimating us and a very basic examination of relative WAR potential of players like kelly, bader etc….

The general consensus can kiss my ass lol

Bobreed showed historically how badly we have been underestimated last winter and when a guy like gomber (who dominated the afl and is having a solid year in aa at an age appropriate level) might not even crack our top 20?

And dont get me started on how underrated kelly is in general. And I would add that knizner is going to have the same issue.

/shrugs .. I know you’re kinda pushing my buttons a bit because I tend to talk and I’ve seen you have similar opinions… and that’s fine… I can take it lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.