Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

BW52…

I think TB would gladly trade those 3 players, but I don’t think that package will get it done.
    They might take Gyorko as a replacement for Longoria, since his guaranteed $22 million is much less than the $100 million that Longoria is guaranteed. I also think that Tuivailala would be an acceptable piece for them. However, I question whether they would have much interest in Wick, Valera, and Gant, but who knows. You might have to add a better pitching prospect, say Alcantara. That might not get it done either, but that is about all I would give for that group (assuming no money is involved).

I like the way you think though.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Free

Jager…

I agree that there is no comparison between Stanton and Longoria. In fact, is Longoria even an upgrade over Gyorko? We would still need an upgrade somewhere. Jose Abreau would be nice, but you are replacing a left-handed bat with a right handed bat. AND, I don’t think the Cards will move Carp to 2nd base. Now, I know that Carp has been told that he will be a “super-sub”, but I don’t buy that. If we get another 1B, then I think Carp will be traded. If that happens, Wong and Fowler would be the only left-handed bats in the lineup.

Instead, I would try to sign Hosmer. Not sure that he would be an upgrade for the lineup either, but maybe we’d get a defensive upgrade (and something in return for Carp).

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hawkeye;

I included Gant in the trade package because he is young,versatile SP/RP and cheap.Wick as a young cheap promising power arm (TB loves pitchers)and i should have changed Luke Voit for Valera.As for Hosmer i have yet to hear of any team getting involved with him because his price is way too hgh.Same thing with JD Martinez….both are asking for the moon salary-wise and there has been little speculation about both players.I would not go over 15 million yearly for Hosmer and that would be my absolute limit.I think that if everything else fails thru then Cards sign Logan Morrison and a bullpen guyfor setup/closer (Gregerson/Albers/Shaw).

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Derrick Goold at Post-Dispatch thinks that Jose Martinez will be our starting first baseman. So do I. And if that does happen, we just have to be willing to excuse the times when the ball bounces off his glove similar to the way Lester gets excused for not being able to throw over to 1B. Just remember that he makes really good plays, too. For me, its fun watching Jose take his AB. He’s got a bit of a flair, IMHO.

NJ315
    Participant

If that’s true then bye bye Carpenter.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me it reads more that Gyorko may be gone… his contract and value for that contract has to be pretty tasty to a lot of teams…Carp playing 3b (whether any of you like it or not) is something the team has shown no problem in going to.

Carp’s poor last year makes him a sell low option, which if the player was middling and hadnt dealt with an injury, might have been an option….but Carp has shown the ability to hit and hit at a degree that to me doesnt scream “Sell low”….

now Gyorko…no doubt last year (and coming off the good last half the year before)…seems a sell high guy right now… and that combined with his good contract should make his value be quite high and a much better chip for trades…Carp woudl get some action but it just wouldnt be worth it given what he has shown the ability to do in the past

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

also…

saw that someone wrote that Fowler would potentially be in play for trading and that the Jays woudl be a potentially good landing spot for him…(they have need in the outfield and they offered him a good contract last year)

Donaldson deal? or maybe target Stroman or Osuna? Or maybe they want to re-sign Donaldson and might let some PRY Guererro Jr. from them for an exorbitant amount…

NJ315
    Participant

It doesn’t matter whether I like or not. The fact is they set out to improve defense if you put Martinez at first then wherever Carp goes the defense goes down except at first where he is adequate. So move an adequate first baseman to be an inadequate third baseman and replace him at first with a not as good first baseman. That should upgrade the defense quite nicely.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve never advocated for DeJong to be a utility player. If we sign Cozart he and DeJong would both be starters since there is a good chance that Gyroko or Wong get traded.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Marlins traded Dee Gordon to Seattle, where reports have him targeted for CF. No announcement yet of other players.

Cubs to sign P Tyler Chatwood to a three-year, $38 MM contract.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

That chatwood one is a headscratcher… Even with his home road splits

Doesnt give 200 innings and is iffy as a pitcher. Maybe they get their money out of it but there are much better options.

Good for us long term imo

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is speculation that by offloading Gordon’s contract the Marlins now may be more reluctant to trade Yelich or Ozuna. We shall see.

As for Chatwood I remember D. Goold mentioning awhile back that the Cards might have interest in him. The gamble is that he will be much better outside of Coors. Maybe the Cubs pounced because they don’t like their chances of getting Ohtani. We can only hope.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read somewhere online the other day that the Cards might try to move Fowler. That would contradict what Mozeliak reportedly told Fowler when he flew out to talk to him about a position change.

I can’t find the link to the article I read and I can’t remember who wrote it therefore I can’t verify how credible it is.

Edit: I found it. It was Jon Heyman.

Inside Baseball MLB Notes | Could Cardinals shop Fowler?

PadsFS
    Participant

The Chatwood signing is interesting. It’s a lot of money for one and everyone keeps referencing his road ERA. However, his FIP and xFIP show he’s the same guy home or away (FIP of 4.79, xFIP of 4.39 on road)

So why is he so much worse at home? Well, his BABIP-against is .350 there, while it’s .219 on the road. I don’t expect him to maintain those numbers, plus Wrigley isn’t that much better than Coors in some respects. Also, I read that he’s already had two Tommy John surgeries. Yeesh.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

It’s time for Donaldson.

They can’t make excuses this time. Matheny’s job is on the line.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are many ways to improve this team. Everyone acts like Stanton was the only way but not true. Personally I feel like we dodged a bullet. I don’t like having all of my eggs in one basket.

Donaldson, Yelich, Cargo, Cozart, Longoria, Hosmer, Archer, Darvish, Colome, Britton, Wade Davis, etc….. Lot’s of Plan B options out there.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

There isn’t a big impact bat avail right now anymore and that was the cards biggest need to get them back into post season and if they dont get a impact back it will be three years in a row no posteason

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wrong. There are plenty of big bats available via trade or FA. Enough with the chicken little routine.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Not sure of many big bats that could be on the team for years, though I’m not sure who those big bats are as most of them are that they could be big bats, with the likes of Stanton and Pujols there isn’t really a maybe involved…just hope that the team actually does something at the meetings starting tomorrow…

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I don’t understand why so many of you are so hot for Longoria. He’s yesterday’s ballplayer, far more expensive than he’s worth, and not really an upgrade of any consequence.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we could get Ozuna or Yelich, then Donaldson, that would easily be the equivalent of a big bat, IMO. In fact, I’d take that over signing Stanton any time. There’s way more risk with Stanton and his contract before you even consider that Stanton might be a head case.

I’m not big on Longoria, either. But its intriguing to think about what he might do in an environment where he knows what he does gives his team a chance to be in the postseason. It hassn’t been that way in Tampa for quite some time.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Os are at least taking calls on Machado it seems. Maybe no real chance for him but I’d call and see.

It’d be costly for the trade and you only do the trade if you’re also going to throw crazy money to get the extension on him early so it’s a big commitment but it may be worth trying. Even if expensive.

Machado trade and extension (300million plus at least probably)…Gyorko Reyes Gomber Grichuk Sierra

Trade for Ozuna…Wacha Tuivalala Voit seijas

Trade for Colome or sign two FA RPs if you can get Archer in the trade go for it. Kelly Alcantara Hudson Perez jmachado

Trade Fowler to the Jays for some salary relief maybe we can get osuna?

Trade Piscotty to A’s for Ryan Dull

Sign backup catcher hanigan

Depletes the system a lot. But sets us up not to depend on it for a while

Probably too many moving pieces. But there are good young targets out there worthy of big money and losing big prospects

Carp Pham Machado Ozuna DeJong Yadi Wong Bader
    Hanigan Garcia O’Neill Jmart Valera
    CMart archer Miikolos weaver Waino/flaherty
    Colome osuna dull Lyons Cecil bowman Brebbia

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont trade Reyes for the right to give a guy a $30mm contract. The rest is interesting. The outfield depth is weak but there would be money under this scenario to sign someone.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Cards end up with Logan Morrison as a LEFTY hitting 1B-LF-RF option.Brandon Morrow or Anthony Swarzak for bullpen setup guys.Mo /Girsch will sign a guy with Closer experience coming off a bad year(Francisco Rodriguez or Huston Street.I think Piscotty goes to OAKLAND for a young bullpen arm.as for making a trade i think its YELICH FROM mIAMI FOR Alcantara,Jose Adolis Garcia and LUKE Voit and Josh Lucas.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No way you trade Reyes for one year of Machado. The only way you even consider trading Reyes is for a long term asset like Archer and even then I would probably balk.

Viewing 25 posts - 751 through 775 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.