Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

well not really…as not all teams WANT to make a move for the players in whatever trade that happens, and in THIS case i identified relievers, primarily late inning guys who would definitely be helpful to us and our woes especially right now

but “losing out” as i put it had to do with missing an opportunity to get players that could have been useful for US…and the ones listed all went relatively cheaply…even Robertson was in a package with two other good players and only returned one good prospect…

i would have been very happy giving up our equivalent of what Washington did for two very good relievers….

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

yes Clippard.. who is only signed through this year so he’d cost only a portion of his total salary, and despite his high ERA, has a K per 9 of over 10…. he has been pretty reliable and times absolutely filthy as a 7th 8th or 9th inning guy…

also…and more importantly…attacking ONE of the players i put on a list as means to denigrate the argument is pretty pointless…unless the point is that you’re just trying to attack me on any grounds that you can… if you think the inclusion of Clippard in a list where the other options on the list are all valid is a means to think the whole argument is not worth discussion is on you…. feel that way if you want…but if you think saying “Clippard???!!!” is “adding” to the discussion…well your idea of what respectful contribution is IMO flawed

even so..i still think CLippard has value to a team…you can hate my opinion of that…but it doesnt change my opinion nor make yours any more right

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Come on jager. He is not attacking you. He IS questioning whether Clippard is an actual upgrade, although he didn’t include anything supporting why he thinks that way.

I have noticed recently that you are being more and more defensive whenever someone disagrees with you. You want a discussion but don’t allow someone to disagree. Since you post a lot of trade ideas, there will be a lot of disagreement. Don’t take it personal. Other posters are not questioning you, they are questioning the idea.

As an idea, you could have just asked NJ315 why he felt the way he did. That would bring the post back to a meaningful discussion.

I want you to continue to post your trade ideas. It gets us to think about some possibilities. Just don’t expect me to agree with you. I disagree with a lot of them due to one reason or another. But that doesn’t mean I won’t listen to you.

NJ315
    Participant

I should have posted why. Clippard has allowed 20 runs in 36 innings. He has given up 7 homers. He has k’d 42 but walked 20. He has 5 wild pitches and his FIP 4.95. I don’t think that makes him an upgrade at all. We have Clippards already.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tyler O’Neill to the Rays for Willy Adames. I would even consider adding, maybe, Anthony Garcia to this trade.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

The gonzales trade makes me wonder how much value tyler lyons has to a team with troubles in the 6th and 7th innings and who also maybe needs a swing starter.

If I had to guess… Teams are enquiring at the least after yesterday. Cost control for another year and he has been fairly consistently decent.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not hold on to Tyler ONeill? Jeez people the kid just turned 22 at AAA and has plenty of potential and power and his plate discipline has improved.You want to trade somebody.......then trade Pham while his value is at its peak before hes gets his annual injury .

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I appreciate what Pham has done but why not see if he has trade value?Grichuk and Piscotty`s values are probably down due to poor seasons.Fowler has the NTC.Martinez has little value as a 4th O or bench bat.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good question about Tyler Lyons. It might be better to wait until the offseason to shop him, though.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I saw something like this on VEB and had to dig in a little bit more but…

Sonny Gray, career: 699 IP, 7.7 K/9, 2.87 BB/9, 3.45 ERA, 3.58 FIP, 11.0 fWAR
    2017: 6-4, 91 IP, 3.66 ERA, 3.38 FIP, 1.9 fWAR

Michael Wacha, career: 585.2 IP, 7.99 K/9, 2.87 BB/9, 3.73 ERA, 3.56 FIP, 9.5 fWAR
    2017: 7-3, 94.2 IP, 3.71 ERA, 3.34 FIP, 2.1 fWAR

Gray is being bandied about as one of the top available starting pitchers, due to his strong résumé and team control left. Yet, Wacha has been close to as good, albeit with an unknown in the injury. Gray hasn’t exactly been injury free either, with troubles the last two seasons after 200+ innings logged in 2014 and 2015.

I know illinibooyah was beating the “trade Michael Wacha” drum for a while but it’s at the point that it looks like Wacha could be an actual decent starter the next two years if his arm is right. Would it be worth exploring what he might get in a trade, or hang onto him as rotational stability in 2018-19?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

At this point, it’s worth exploring just about everyone if the trade value coming back is sufficient. In some cases (Grichuk), even if it is not sufficient…

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

If the pitching trade market is as high as the seattle gm is saying then you hope wacha has a great outing today and some team is willing to take a shot.

I have no reason to doubt his statement. So I’d say… Yes…. We would be one of the very few teams with multiple arms to deal in a very high market. I would definitely take a look.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I doubt Atlanta is looking to move him but I’d kick the tires on Julian Tehran.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Actually, they have been shopping him, but why do the Cardinals need him with all our pitching coming up the pipeline?

14NyquisT
    Participant

One would think that this thread would be humming right now.

The power bat we need to get will come from the third base position. Perhaps 1B, as Carpenter might be on the move. Our OF right now is in total flux with Fowler hitting the DL again. When the smoke clears, we will have Fowler-Piscotty(the ghost)-Pham-Grichuk-now Bader and a long list of prospects nearly ready to step up. It’s almost chaos. We presently have 3 healthy outfielders Tommy, Grich and the rookie Bader (4 if you include Martinez). That works for the time being. Do we have too many or not enough?

Going forward, Piscotty’s situation is a mystery, but he is a legitimate starter (when?)….. don’t know. Fowler is now a problem. Actually he became one when he was given a contract. He was supposed to be our solid lead-off guy who was going to change the clubhouse atmosphere with his smile and even temperament. He was to be a rock. Mo made another desperate mistake and we’re stuck with this guy for 4 years and paying him a bundle. He has provided very little in production and his situation will be difficult to deal with. JMartinez is not an MLB starter. His bat is but his glove isn’t…. but he is good to keep around.

Pham is in one of his peaks right now. His pro history is highs and lows. The F.O. may decide to sell on the high side. If not he is a damn fine left-fielder. Grichuk is still fighting the strike zone and has been given a long leash already…. still a work in progress? Bader could be a guy that sticks, or not.

Then there are the other prospects JAGarcia and O’Neill are also ready. We didn’t trade MGonzales for a guy that doesn’t even get a shot a MLB, an AAAA. It’s strange that Garcia is thought highly of by informed people around the blogs, but doesn’t show up in MLB’s top-30. What’s with that?

There’s too many questions and loose ends regarding our outfield situation but it might be clarified at the deadline. I’m not even going to guess at the outcome.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trade Pham now…………..while his value is high.He is the oldest besides Fowler and his NTC.Pham should bring a good bullpen guy or a good prospect for 3B.Lynns value is probably at a high right now so why not deal
    Pham can be replaced from Grichuk,Bader,Piscotty ,Sierra,O`Neill and Lynn can be replaced by Weaver or Flaherty,Gant or Mayers.

NJ315
    Participant

I would call the Yankees. The need a 1B and starting pitcher. See what you could get for Lynn and Carpenter.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Speaking of Piscotty…. he has been sighted in Peoria and will be playing for the Chiefs tonight and over the weekend. PR Dept. really building it up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More competition for Lynn in the market.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

… and one less competitor for Lynn …

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So here’s some speculation…
    The Blue Jays had scouts at Memphis, so we have to think there’s a possible trade for Donaldson in the works…..

Cardinals trade Flaherty or Hudson, plus O’Neill and maybe, Gant to the Blue Jays for Donaldson. (No pain no gain.)

Cardinals trade Lynn and Gyorko to the Yankees for Torres and Mateo.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Could be, mud. Never know.

I am always amused about reports of scouts at games this time of year, though. It is as if many do not understand that is their job every single day – to go to games and check out players. To the best of my knowledge, I have never attended a game at which there were NOT scouts in attendance.

Unless it is the very rare case when the public is told for some odd reason that a scout was sent to check out a specific player (why would they show their hand?), the vast majority of these reports are just baseball business as usual.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Dome. I hadn’t thought about it from that perspective. Definitely makes sense.

PadsFS
    Participant

The Yankees already got their third baseman, Todd Frazier.

NJ315
    Participant

Lynn and Carpenter, they do need a 1B.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.