Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Cozart ranks better than DeJong at SS defensively.

Over his career, Gyorko ranks better than Wong who ranks better than DeJong at 2B.

Gyorko just had a solid year at 3B, defensively.

So, why do you say DeJong is better than everyone?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we are the victim of Diazitis and want to hang Diaz meltdown on DeJong. Come on, the guy hit 38 home runs in 2017 counting the 13 he hit in the minors. Diaz got totally out of sync and hardly had his feet on the ground when he swung the bat in 2017. Don’t know what happened because at the end of 2016 he was having good at bats and hitting the ball hard even though he began to lunge at the outside pitches. I would love for Diaz to return to form because I like the way the ball comes off his bat.

DeJong on the other hand hung in at the #3 spot and continued to improve his plate discipline and is light years from where he was at Springfield in the first half of 2016.

If we get a shortstop or third baseman I would be happy with Gyorko at second. Wong is flashier and has a little more range but Gyorko has ok range and makes all the routine plays that Wong often blows. Gyorko is like Peralta as far as steadiness but has more range.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Our buddy at the P-D JdeJ Ortiz came up with this appraisal of CMartinez:

“Cardinals ace Carlos Martinez would surely fit in the front of the Cubs’ rotation as the No. 2 starter or perhaps even the No. 1, but he probably would be the No. 3 starter behind Justin Verlander and Dallas Keuchel on the Astros, a No. 3 on the Nationals and a No. 2 or No. 3 on the Dodgers.”

I don’t know if this is praise or a way of saying that the Cards lack a #1 ace to contend for the NLC title. He expressed that the Cards need at least two major additions: a slugger AND a BP piece. He states that he would also add a starter. I don’t know how it would go over with CMart if the Cards pursued and obtained a true #1…. just a hunch but I’d say not too well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wong is the second baseman and DeJong the SS so move on from that. Barring injuries they are the opening day DP combination.

Don’t be so sure. D. Goold reported that the front office was considering a defensive upgrade at SS. Cozart would be an upgrade defensively plus he has a nice bat. I’m not giving up on Dejong at all. Put him at 3B and let him hit 30 bombs with solid defense.

I think Gyorko is trade bait. He had a pretty good year but I remember a couple of balls that he didn’t run out down the first base line. I remember Matheny not being amused at all.

NJ315
    Participant

Matheny wasn’t amused at all??? Maybe he should pay attention to Yadi. It wasn’t a couple of times with him. It is all the time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jon Heyman is reporting that the Cards could be in on Darvish or Arrieta, even stating that Mo met with Darvish’s agents Sunday night.

Yes I know that Heyman has a reputation for hyping certain players and agents so take it for whatever it is worth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“DeJong on the other hand hung in at the #3 spot and continued to improve his plate discipline and is light years from where he was at Springfield in the first half of 2016.”

I am not anti DeJong, but I did not see that light years improvement in plate discipline.

2016 1H Spr: 30.7 K rate, 8.4 BB rate
    2017 2H StL: 27.7 K rate, 5.5 BB rate

Slight improvement in strikeout rate but a decline in walk rate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Six teams have to pay Luxury Tax for 2017 salaries: Dodgers, Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox, Cubs and Giants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/13/dodgers-mlb-luxury-tax-offenders-2017-top-payrolls/857918001/

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

A BIG NO for either Darvish or Arrieta, both of whom would want way to much and on the downside of their careers, and if Mo isn’t the GM then why is he meeting with agents and such…odd…

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Logan,

With you 100% on Darvish and JA. To much for little return.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards talk says Rob Rains tweeted Cards are talking with Logan Morrison’s agent.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

That’s a nice move leading into another move if it happens. So we must be getting someone else right????

I refuse to believe Morrison will play in STL next year. However now the rumors are flying that Carpenter will be in a super sub role.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Now reports are that Boras is wanting a 7 year $210 million dollar contract for JD Martinez…saw it on msn…

PadsFS
    Participant

14NyquisT
    I don’t know if this is praise or a way of saying that the Cards lack a #1 ace to contend for the NLC title. He expressed that the Cards need at least two major additions: a slugger AND a BP piece. He states that he would also add a starter. I don’t know how it would go over with CMart if the Cards pursued and obtained a true #1…. just a hunch but I’d say not too well

Why would Martinez care if the Cardinals obtained a player that made the team better? That’s an odd statement. Reyes may care, being the defacto 5th starter that would lose his spot.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian Walton

Six teams have to pay Luxury Tax for 2017 salaries: Dodgers, Yankees, Tigers, Red Sox, Cubs and Giants.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/11/13/dodgers-mlb-luxury-tax-offenders-2017-top-payrolls/857918001/

That’s a big deal for the Giants. I think it means that Stanton would cost almost $15M more for them in 2018 than he would for the Cardinals.

For the Dodgers, it may mean that they will have to give up draft picks.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont understand the thinking on MArtinez over a Stanton deal at this point… 30million and 7 years for an older power hitter who cant play defense?

If that is the line someone has to cross id hope the Cardinals dont even think of it as a possibility

PadsFS
    Participant

Yeah. Stanton’s contract is not going to be anymore of an albatross than any other big player. I think he has surplus value on it as is.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i totally agree Pads…id be all for taking the whole salary on to give up lesser prospects…

then go after another upgrade in pitching

on the Stantons thread i said this:
    Stanton and his whole salary (id even consider taking on Ziegler in a salary dump just to get the deal done)
    for
    Flaherty and Grichuk (or another outfielder not named ONEill)

id follow that with calls to two places Toronto and TB…centering on Archer and Colome and Stroman and Osuna

I think Toronto matches up pretty well and while i prefer Archer and Colome i think we may have a better shot at Stroman and Osuna

Stroman and Osuna
    for
    -Kelly (they could use a real long term catcher after Martin is done in 2020..and Kelly coudl play right now and take some of the load off of Martin who seems to be pretty injury prone….the DH also allows for more time)
    -Bader or Sierra (or another outfielder not named ONeill)…they need outfielders to go with Pillar out there…and Grichuk is an option in case we had to move someone else to MIA in the Stanton deal…Grichuk;s power would play in TOR
    -Hudson or Alcantara (young starting pitching ready to go to replace Stroman or Osuna)
    -Tuivalala or Brebbia (reliever ready to pitch)
    -Greg Garcia (good value versatile player that can play right now and help their middle infield)..he isnt a headliner but he’d help their team…id consider Edmundo Sosa as well

That’s a 5 for 2 trade with top prospects across the board
    It thins us out a little bit which we need but still lets us keep good prospects too

follow up all that with:
    – a FA deal for vet reliever like Neshek or Shaw etc.
    – FA signing of a backup catcher like Hanigan
    – try to also find a one year vet starter deal for safety in the rotation…Feldman-ish

shouldnt cost too much

see if you can find a deal one the West Coast for Piscotty….a fair deal perhaps that could replace one of the FA signings…maybe a Piscotty for Cam Bedrosian? or Ryan Dull? Ryan Healy?…the A’s were interested in PIscotty at the deadline even with his down season…maybe we could snag a nice young reliever or position player, maybe Healy as he seems to be without a position and isnt the greatest defender but potentially as a power bench bat and some dedication for 1b with us he could turn into a nice power option for 1b)

Roll into 2018 with:
    CMart, Stroman, Wacha, Weaver, Waino…with still Sandy/Hudson and Reyes waiting
    Osuna, Ziegler, Lyons, Cecil, Neshek, Bowman, Brebbia/Tuivalala….Sandy/Hudson or Reyes potentially

Carp (1b or 3b), Pham, DeJong, Stanton, Fowler, Yadi, Gyorko/JMart, Wong
    Hanigan, Diaz, JMart/Carp/Gyorko, Bader, Piscotty

-solid young rotation with a top prospect waiting to replace Waino
    -deep veteran bullpen with several options for the backend in case any struggle
    -lineup with the fear we have lacked…and DeJong in front of Stanton could be a nightmare for opposing pitchers as DeJong would get way more to hit (im tempted to put Carp in the 3 again just because of his good eye and hitting in front of Stanton means he will get pitched over the plate and Carp’s eye and smarts combined with knowing that they are going to pitch to him might make him really really effective)
    -bench has depth and power and all could start if need be…Knizner replaces Kelly as Yadi replacement

yeah this is long…sorry

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Sources: #STLCards and #Rays have discussed Alex Colome in trade talks. @MLB @MLBNetwork

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

definitely a good look with 3yrs arb left…i wonder what they are interested in on our end

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Colome and Nicasio would be a good, relatively cheap, bullpen solution. Leave plenty of money left for big bat and rotation. Of course, that is assuming the Rays would be reasonable in what they wanted for Colome. They are notorious for being difficult to deal with.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I got the impression from the article on Cards official site that Cards now DO NOT expect Nicasio to return.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

An article on the official web site 3 days ago also said the were looking at top.of the rotation starters – something that Mo basically denied yesterday.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i thought the thing with Nicasio was that he was going to explore FA not necessarily that he wasnt going to return

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It always seems to be years and money.

Viewing 25 posts - 601 through 625 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.