Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

This topic contains 1,359 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 9 hours, 3 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,360 total)
  • Author

Cardinals27
    Participant

Malncon too. But Samargzia and Melancon might be better next year. Cueto I think is on the downhill slide. SO glad we didn’t sign him.

PadsFS
    Participant

You all are still underestimating how much the Cubs are under what they spent on payroll this year.

In 2018, they have about $117.2M committed with a full roster right now that could probably win 85-90 games. In 2017, they had a $161.3M payroll.

That’s $44.1M before raising payroll….If they add Samard/Melan, but drop Heyward, they will increase payroll by just $12.0M (Samard ~ $18.0M, Melancon ~ $15.5M, Heyward ~ $21.5M)

Add in Arrieta and a JD Martinez signing, that roughly $50.0M for a total increase of $62.0M ~ $180.0M payroll, but with a solid 5-man rotation (Lest/Quin/Hendr/Samard/Arri), and a vastly improved lineup (Martinez > Heyward)

With the same changes, it would jump to $202.0M roughly in 2019, but still a juggernaut of a team.

*** Plus they would still have a big trade chip in either Russell or Baez and Schwarber***

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

From Jerry Crasnick of ESPN:

“Teams that have reached out early on J.D. Martinez have gotten the impression Scott Boras is looking for something in the $200 million range.”

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/928386394334035969

forsch31
    Participant

Pads, Cots has the Cubs at $137 million estimated for 2018 and Baseball Reference has them at $132 million estimated for 2018. So if you add $62 million to the lower of the 2, you get to $194 million for 2018. They will also have a lot of arbitration raises after 2018.

This would also give the Cubs a starting rotation ages of 34, 33, 32, 29 and 28 on opening day 2018 with very little in the form of quality prospects in the minors. I see trouble down the road unless they eat some salaries in a couple of years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

More from Jerry Crasnick:

“(In addition to Martinez,) Boras also represents Eric Hosmer, Mike Moustakas and Jake Arrieta, so he’ll be involved in several big negotiations this offseason.”

“MLB teams that have inquired on FA outfielder Jay Bruce say he’s seeking a deal for 5 years in the $80-90 million range.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

With all this talk about players and teams and salaries and free agents and who needs what and who might sign or be traded, etc, etc…….it makes me miss baseball already. I might have to get out one of my DVDs I recorded this season and watch a late game. Maybe the Yankees at the Angels, that might be a good one to watch.

r/Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Derrick Goold:

“Here’s a new name for the chat that is going to be one to watch, and depending on how the market moves for him could be right in the Cardinals’ wheelhouse: Tyler Chatwood. Check out his road splits. Consider he had a second Tommy John surgery. That he’s young enough and perhaps interested in a short-term, two-year deal to build up his value, and that he’d be looking to do that for a solid team at a friendly ballpark, and that he’s going to be a darling of the analytic set for his advanced metrics. Watch the conversation about him and around him unfold.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Guessing Derrick read the same MLB.com piece I did. A number of other “Chatwood is undervalued” articles are out there, making me wonder if he will end up being undervalued, after all. Still, an interesting guy.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260793498/5-ways-tyler-chatwood-could-be-charlie-morton/

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

With new ownership in tow, the Miami Marlins are expected to slash payroll this winter. In an ideal Marlins-centric world, that would mean moving the contracts of Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon, and Martin Prado. This is far from an ideal world, however, and it’s conceivable the Marlins could instead have to trade Christian Yelich or Marcell Ozuna to fix their budget.
    Both players are appealing due to their skill set and contractual situations. Yelich is locked to a team-friendly deal for the next four years, while Ozuna has two more seasons of cost control remaining before he hits free agency.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

PadsFS
    Participant

forsch31
    Pads, Cots has the Cubs at $137 million estimated for 2018 and Baseball Reference has them at $132 million estimated for 2018. So if you add $62 million to the lower of the 2, you get to $194 million for 2018. They will also have a lot of arbitration raises after 2018.

This would also give the Cubs a starting rotation ages of 34, 33, 32, 29 and 28 on opening day 2018 with very little in the form of quality prospects in the minors. I see trouble down the road unless they eat some salaries in a couple of years.

Forsch,

Both of those spreadsheets are using MLB’s valuation of spreading a signing bonus out over the first three years of the contract rather than when it’s actually paid. Hence, Heyward ($20M signing bonus, paid in four $5M installments, each April 1, 2024-27) and Lester ($30M signing bonus, $15M due 4/15/15, $2.5M due 12/31/18, $2.5M due 12/31/19, $10M due 9/15/20) have significantly higher “AAVs” for 2018. Rizzo, Quintana, and Zobrist are also in the same boat, but to a lesser extent.

forsch31
    Participant

Fair enough. I wonder why they average Heyward’s bonus over the first 3 years of the contract but list Lester’s remaining $15 million over the next 3 years despite it being years 4, 5 and 6 of his contract?

I still stick to the point that this proposed trade will hurt the Cubs in the intermediate to long run. They will be getting into salary restrictions unless they are willing to push their payroll to very high levels.

PadsFS
    Participant

Any idea how much of our international bonus money we have left? I know we traded some pool money to the Red Sox for Diaz and Espinal.
    Here is the list of our signings via BA.com:
    Adanson Cruz, of, Domincian Republic, $300,000.
    Sander Mora, ss, Venezuela
    Jesus Orrechia, c, Venezuela
    Joerlin de los Santos, of, Dominican Republic, $250,000.
    Darlyn Del Villar, ss, Dominican Republic
    Leudy Pena, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
    Jose Zapata, c, Venezuela
    Diowill Burgos, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000.
    Jesus Cruz, rhp, Mexico
    Gustavo Rodriguez, of, Dominican Republic
    Luis Rodriguez, c, Venezuela

Which adds up to $1.15M on the announced monetary signings.

I think it’s fairly obvious that Otani is going to sign with the Yankees. We should trade as much of this money pool to them while we can.

I’ve read that the Yankees have spent $3.85M, but have already increased their international bonus poll money from $4.875M to $8.0M this summer in trades.

MLBTR said this recently:
    The Rangers ($3.535MM), Yankees ($3.25MM), Twins ($3.245MM) Pirates ($2.2MM+), Marlins ($1.74MM), and Mariners ($1.57MM+)

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  PadsFS.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I believe there are limits on how much intl bonus a team can acquire by trade in any given year. Not sure of the particulars.

gscottar
    Participant

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of signing Zack Cozart for SS and moving DeJong to 3B. It would be easier to pull that off than orchestrating a trade for Simmons.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Teams can acquire up to 75% of their original international bonus pool. Max will be either $8.3 MM, $9.2 MM or $10.1 MM, depending on where the team stands in Competitive Balance. Most would max out at the low number.

mspaid
    Participant

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of signing Zack Cozart for SS and moving DeJong to 3B. It would be easier to pull that off than orchestrating a trade for Simmons.

Wong is the second baseman and DeJong the SS so move on from that. Barring injuries they are the opening day DP combination.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

You may be right mspaid, but that isn’t such a bad idea. Cozart had a breakout year… on a bad team.

Of course, that would not eliminate the need for a big bat.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

Gscottar said:

It would also be easier to pull off than orchestrating a trade for Donaldson.

Bw52
    Participant

If you sign Cozart then you have to move DeJong to 3B (his original position or to 2B (Wong is already there) and use Gyorko as a roving utility guy.I wouldn`t have a problem with that but i wonder how the FO would feel about a 9 million dollar utility guy (Gyorko)?
    That would be a INF of Carpenter-Wong-Cozart-DeJong with Gyorko-Diaz-G.Garcia as backups.That could work.Cards still need a big bopper threat.

14NyquisT
    Participant

That puts Voit in no man’s land. If he’s not up with STL there’s little room for him to go down.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

bw12 said:
    If you sign Cozart then you have to move DeJong to 3B (his original position or to 2B (Wong is already there) and use Gyorko as a roving utility guy.I wouldn`t have a problem with that but i wonder how the FO would feel about a 9 million dollar utility guy (Gyorko)?
    That would be a INF of Carpenter-Wong-Cozart-DeJong with Gyorko-Diaz-G.Garcia as backups.That could work.Cards still need a big bopper threat.

You’re assuming that all of those guys will be with us next year. I haven’t heard any trade chatter for Gyorko, but I have read chatter about Carpenter. Mo did say that Yadi was the only one that is safe.

I love Matt, but I think it is time to move him, most likely to an AL team where he can DH part-time.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

If the Cardinals did acquire Cozart for SS, who plays 3rd – Gyorko or DeJong?

DeJong can play 2B, SS & 3B, while Gyorko can only play 2B & 3B, but Gyorko is the better 2B of the two and was one of the top defensive 3B’s in the league this year.

Would an acquisition of Cozart lead to a trade of Wong or Gyorko?

I would think DeJong would move into super-utility role, playing 4 days per week…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Why acquire Cozart if you want to make DeJong a utility man? DeJong is the best player of those mentioned.

Viewing 25 posts - 576 through 600 (of 1,360 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.