Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

This topic contains 1,359 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 9 hours, 2 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 1,360 total)
  • Author

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

So how soon can trades happen and free agents sign…well I know that the window of time will open before it actually happens but last I checked it was as soon as the world series ended…just wondering how soon it’ll be before the Cards start making moves…

gscottar
    Participant

Teams have until Monday to offer QO’s. Players then have until Nov. 16 to accept or decline.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

So no trades and such till after then…

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Trades can be made at anytime. No restrictions that I know of.

mspaid
    Participant

I read Douchette’s predictions of who will get the free agents.
    Nunez was the only one that we will get according to Douchette.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Funny you should mention Nunez (I assume you mean Eduardo). He is apparently very friendly with Molina, for whatever that is worth. The reason I say that is when I was covering the Cards at Fenway in August, Molina reached second base. Between every pitch, Nunez would move out of his defensive position to walk over to the bag to continue what seemed to be an in-depth conversation with Molina. This continued for several batters. It struck me as unusual.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

If you click on this link, it shows a grid of free agent signing predictions from MLB staffers. Nunez is not listed, but Duquette (and four other analysts) is down for Hosmer coming to the Cardinals. Other free agents at least one personality has coming to StL are Davis, Holland and Moustakas.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetworkRadio/status/927657092365787137

gscottar
    Participant

Been hearing some chatter on the radio about Zack Cozart being a fit for the Cardinals. I guess the thought is he would play SS and we could move DeJong to 3B. Gyroko would become expendable I suppose.

Thoughts?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I found the link to the Duquette article nate mentioned earlier. Pretty funny that some of his picks vary from his picks on the MLB graphic also linked-to above. Way to hedge your bets, Jim!

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260157832/predicting-spots-for-top-25-mlb-free-agents/

thejager
    Participant

Id be interested on Cozart depending on the price and length…he had a pretty fantastic last year and we have very limited depth at true SS options… little injuries seem to slow him down but he wouldnt hurt us

as for Nunez…i really dont understand why we’d be the most likely landing spot for him…i like him and all i just think he makes sense for just about any team out there and they only put him to the Cardinals because they realized by the end of the article they hadnt had the Cardinals picked for any of the signings and remembered that the front office was pretty adamant about making changes

to me the FA market is where we find the back end of the bullpen…one bigger piece and one good but flawed piece…something like Nicasio and Holland…or Davis and Neshek..

trades are where we really seem to have the most movement coming from

though i wouldnt throw out the idea of a guy like Cozart who everyone is valuing really low even though he could still provide really nice value… Cozart on a 2yr deal with a 3rd year option maybe…slide DeJong to 3b trade Gyorko or Diaz and/or maybe Garcia too… also Nunez on a buy low due to injury could also fit the same way…

there are some other good FAs out there too…plenty of relievers…and some good position players too who for the right price coudl be useful depending on what direction we go in trades…they arent superstars but coudl fill gaps well enough and provide depth if we trade away our depth

Cardinals27
    Participant

As of now, the roster stands at 35, and 36 when Alex Reyes is taken off the 60 day disabled list prior to the Rule 5 draft. I really don’t see Holland is in the Cardinals price range. There are better options out there in Nicasio, Morrow, or Swarzak, which In like in that order, with no draft pick being lost. I think it might be wise to use one of the young kids, i.e. Hudson, Helsley, Alcantara. Perhaps they give the a little time (starting) at AAA to see who the 6th starter might be. All 3 have closer type stuff, and would be valuable using in the 7th and 8th innings, similar to what was done with Lynn and Wainright. Injuries likely will play a role in who does what.

I have wondered also if they are interested in a starter, how about Aaron Nola from the Phillies? Not sure they would deal him, but he has tremendous upside.

Onyxgem
    Participant

I disagree that NIcasio, MOrrow or Swarak are better options thatn Holland, they might be cheaper, but better no.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Just a slight correction. 35 includes Reyes. 60-day DL is now gone for the off-season.

Cardinals27
    Participant

I read a publication offering up an idea for a trade. ALedmys Diaz for Kelvin Herrara. That might be enough. I believe Herrera will be a free agent after next year. Maybe throw in Mayers or Tui. That trade actually works for both sides.

Cardinals27
    Participant

I just don’t think Holland is worth in the neighborhood of Chapman and Jensen money. Plus a draft pick. What maybe 4 years 80 million plus?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Here is a mind-bending rumor. The Cubs may be able to get out from under Jason Heyward’s contact, while adding needed pitching. Would that also put them in the J.D. Martinez market?

“@Giants have interest in @Cubs’ Jason Heyward, w/Jeff Samardzija and Mark Melancon to offer. Very complicated deal but not impossible.”

https://twitter.com/philgrogers/status/927982893959471104

gscottar
    Participant

That would be a steal for the Cubs. Surely the Giants aren’t that foolish.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

A lot would depend on the money. In prior times, Theo did not hesitate to eat his bad contracts. Of course, that would ultimately be the Ricketts’ call.

forsch31
    Participant

I think I would like to see the Cubs do that trade. That strengthens their pitching but weakens their OF. It also adds salary to them. If they re-sign Arrieta and sign Martinez, they will be a beast for 2018 but will be getting close to being financially handcuffed for the future years. All those moves would put them close to $200 million in salary in 2018. After 2018, they have arbitration raises for Bryant, Hendricks, Russell, Schwarber, Baez and Montgomery while only having Rondon and Justin Wilson as possible FAs.

The Cardinals would definitely be able to counter with some moves but they have to be willing to make them. The acquisition of Stanton would have to be done.

mspaid
    Participant

Indeed: “Have to be willing to make them.” That is the key. They never have been in the past. I should tell you that the chances of the Cardinals acquiring Stanton is remote.

gscottar
    Participant

I think I would like to see the Cubs do that trade. That strengthens their pitching but weakens their OF. It also adds salary to them. If they re-sign Arrieta and sign Martinez, they will be a beast for 2018 but will be getting close to being financially handcuffed for the future years. All those moves would put them close to $200 million in salary in 2018. After 2018, they have arbitration raises for Bryant, Hendricks, Russell, Schwarber, Baez and Montgomery while only having Rondon and Justin Wilson as possible FAs.

The Cardinals would definitely be able to counter with some moves but they have to be willing to make them. The acquisition of Stanton would have to be done.

Getting rid of the Heyward contract would be a dream come true for the Cubs. Their OF defense would suffer some but they would more than make up for it in other ways. Samardjia would be a solid number 4 in their rotation, Melancon is probably due to bounce back as his old self, and they would still have plenty of money and trade chips to go after JD Martinez or Stanton. Advantage Cubs.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  gscottar.

gscottar
    Participant

Meanwhile, Lackey says he wants to pitch again in 2018. I’d like to see the Cards bring him back on a one year deal. He would be a decent innings eater to bridge the gap until our younger pitchers are ready to step up.

NJ315
    Participant

No Lackey.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Jason Heyward has a full no trade clause for the first 3 years of his contract. I just don’t see him being trading in a situation where he can win every year, to likely a rebuilding mode.

Cardinals27
    Participant

And thinking of the Giants, how many bad contracts do they have? Cueto, Samargzia, Cain come to mind. Although Cains might be over or be able to bought out.

Viewing 25 posts - 551 through 575 (of 1,360 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.