Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018

Viewing 25 posts - 2,801 through 2,825 (of 2,872 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This seems like a fairly easy choice right now…you trade Jmart for the best lefty reliever you can get, then you sign Britton or Miller to a 2 year deal for more AAV than they were projected on 3 year deals (something like 2/$22-25M), and then sit back and see how things develop.

Pen:

Smith
    Miller/Britton
    Hicks
    Brebbia
    Leone
    Cecil (until you can justify canning him)/Shreve
    Reyes
    Loser of the Gant/Gomber/Hudson/Waino sweepstakes, maybe Mayers

That’s four potentially dynamic righties plus a long man, and two good lefties plus Cecil or Shreve if they can stomach the part. Seems like it would be a plus bullpen.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

you trade Jmart for the best lefty reliever you can get,

No, you are pigeonholing yourself into what the return should be. Right now, there are plenty of left-handed pitchers the Cardinals can sign to reasonable contracts on the open market.

Why not take the best return possible?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

2016, not sure I follow why your link indicates Gyrko could be a fit for the Nationals.

They are looking for someone that can play 1B/2B on a short term deal, because Carter Kieboom is their long-term plan at SS or 2B.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, you are pigeonholing yourself into what the return should be. Right now, there are plenty of left-handed pitchers the Cardinals can sign to reasonable contracts on the open market.

Why not take the best return possible?

Let’s be honest…this team is not going to think this way. It’s nice to think that they’ll go after the best reliever possible, but Rizzo, Schwarber, Heyward, Yelich, Thames, etc will drive the need for a lefty.

Not that I completely blame them…a shutdown left hander could be a real boon in this division. Would you trust Shreve or Cecil, with two of the absolute worst splits vs LHH in all of baseball?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t trust Shreve or Cecil against a AA lineup.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

this team is not going to think this way.

Well, I tend to agree with you there…

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far the Winter meetings have been a big snoozefest concerning the Cards IMHO.I realize the meetings are not finished but the meetings as a whole have been very dull with little real movement by almost every team.SLow Slow ……….Hope that the dominoes start falling soon.Its like everybody is waiting for something to happen….I have read about a boatload for trade rumors by the usual suspects and as usual the Cards rumors are mostly few and far between.All in all the winter meetings this year have been about exciting as watch paint dry.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals need to get the very best reliever they can acquire. If the bullpen is not elite then the Goldschmidt trade is a bust. We’ll see if they really are “players” like they said they were going into the off-season.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Mo has outdone himself. Drew Robinson…why? In 216 major league plate appearances he is batting .204 and he has 99 strikeouts in 216 at bats for a 46% rate. Why do we continue to pick up crap and expect them to perform successfully. This is the one year that the Cardinals need to be aggressive in the off-season and get some good players before Goldschmidt leaves next year and they trade for this guy. I have to laugh to keep from being depressed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nate, why are you overreacting about what looks to be one Triple-A guy traded for another?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reds get Tanner Roark SP from Nationals for RP Tanner Rainey.Reds just got a little better.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Read that Cards are finished at the meetings.If so then IMO what colossal waste of time.Now I know some will say that its a long way till Spring training …..that may be so but Talking the talk without walking the walk is just BS and bluster.Sitting on their asses and patting themselves on the back because of getting Goldschmidt doesn’t cut the mustard.Action not BS excuses.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Read that Cards are finished at the meetings.If so then IMO what colossal waste of time.Now I know some will say that its a long way till Spring training …..that may be so but Talking the talk without walking the walk is just BS and bluster.Sitting on their asses and patting themselves on the back because of getting Goldschmidt doesn’t cut the mustard.Action not BS excuses.A disgruntled fan.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

To me it is a pretty big assumption that they did nothing at the winter meetings. Just because they didn’t announce anything doesn’t mean that they haven’t been busy laying the groundwork for something to be done shortly.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Until something happens to improve the team I remain skeptical.I am thinking that the FO is satisfied with Goldschimdt move and will end up deciding to stay put for bullpen and maybe sign a aging declining vet backup Catcher.Mayb decide to go with someone from the Hunter Cervenka,Tommy Layne,Tyler Webb,Brett Cecil,Austin Gomber,Chasen Shreve group for LP in the pen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The FO actually goes out and gets a proven all-star quality player for 1B and some fans want more, more, more. There’s an insatiable appetite for new faces. Some fans don’t bother to consider how the roster will need to be adjusted. The rule-5 today promises to be another day to snooze for the Cards.

Its painful to watch the guys on MLB scramble to fill the time with silly games and not have much of anything to report on. Brutal.

Note to self: don’t expect much to happen at the Winter Meetings in the future.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fun fact: the Cards in 2018 had 40+ more IP versus LHH and 40+ fewer IP versus RHP than any other team. This is why matchup lefties are important this offseason.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

C2016, maybe the JMartinez to the Dodgers rumors was a possible part of the 3 way trade with Cleveland.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

C2016, maybe the JMartinez to the Dodgers rumors was a possible part of the 3 way trade with Cleveland.

Yes, the Dodgers front office is much more capable of pulling something like that off than the Cardinals front office.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The winter meetings have been boring just like last year. The MLB TV crew has spent most of their time playing card games because there is nothing else to talk about. I think MLB should stop hyping the meetings as a big deal because they aren’t.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FOr all the chest puffing about money to spend, they havent spent anything…the Goldy move was good enough but that doesnt make a good offseason, and if you are going to talk about your money being available then you better spend some…i think they open the checkbook in a significant way this offseason…

whether they go for overpaying for lefties like MIller and Britton
    or overpay for a closer like Kimbrel
    or overpay for a RFer like Harper
    overpay for a lefty in the rotation like Kikuchi or Keuchel

they still will have to overpay…

We cant trade for any impact bats at age 26 like Harper…but we could trade for proven healthy lefty relievers liek Smith, Stanton, Rogers

Having said that…Seattle seems to have at least had listened for Haniger to say his asking price is very high… he is the only potential young impact RFer that could have big impact that you could get from a trade…only because SEAT seems to be selling

I wonder if we return to them and take on the rest of Felix to get the price on Haniger down…id happily eat Felix for year to get HAniger for a reasonable price

news is they are going to flip Encarnacion to the Rays…and if they want cheap..we have JMart standing ready… JMArt + Helsley/Hudson + eat Felix for Haniger

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Padres #1 priority: acquire a 3Bman.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW- read that Adam Ottavino close with White Sox. and Andrew Miller close with Phillies

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Brian:

Wisdom is no loss, correct but would it not seem reasonable to acquire a bat off the bench who could actually hit?

Viewing 25 posts - 2,801 through 2,825 (of 2,872 total)
  • The topic ‘Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2017-2018’ is closed to new replies.