Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Trade Ideas/Acquisition Ideas/Non-Cards Rumors – 2019

This topic contains 158 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar thejager 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think you are right on Giles…losing Gyorko one of the rotation depth guys and even one young outfielder or depth reliever isnt bad

What do you think about Stroman though?

Helsley + Mendoza + Baker

That’s a lot of control and upside for 3years of Stroman IMO. Who has not been a true ace for a while.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure about Stroman. I mean he would be worth a discussion to see what the asking price is. He kind of reminds me of Wacha. But if I had to choose between beefing up the rotation or the bullpen I would choose the bullpen. We seem to have a plethora of rotation options right now although I know the old adage of you can’t have enough. It just seems to me that having a dominant bullpen is very trendy right now and for good reason. If you can shorten games to 5 or 6 innings then do it.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But to me Stroman DOES make the bullpen better, if not A LOT better

slotting a more dependable pitcher into the rotation means moving out someone…probably Hudson at the moment…but even if he goes to AAA to await Waino running out of gas it still works well for us …he obviously was a major consideration for the pen
    it also allows for Carlos to go to the pen if wanted or necessary, add in same with Reyes..

you could conceivably have a rotation and bullpen late in the year of:
    Mik, Jack, Wach, Stro, Waino

(with Giles too) Giles, Hicks, Miller, Carlos, Reyes, Hudson, Brebbia, Genesis (or traded for better lefty) (remove Giles add Helsley)

That is a nasty bullpen, and dropping Waino for the playoff 4 man still looks great

Even if Waino or anyone can only go 3-4 innings, that kind of bullpen could do whatever we want

You easily have 9 innings of ace level guys in the pen without even trying

To do this this though you need a more dependable Stroman type though IMO…

having one iffy spot in the rotation is fine Waino)
    but two makes me worry about it

a Keuchel 2yr deal plus a gyorko Giles trade woudl work too…i just like the Stroman Giles combo as I think there is something there…even if it means losing a few folks

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It would be an extremely bold move two weeks from Opening Day for any team to trade away its no. 1 starter and its closer. That would be a really tough sell to the fan base. (And yes, Stroman is their no. 1. He was named their Opening Day starter today.)

P.S. I guess the Jays could turn around and ante up to sign Keuchel and Kimbrel to replace them. After all, it’s only money!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree it would be odd if not extremely unlikely to impossible, BUT we have seen relatively early season trades from time to time…even if not on this scale

nevertheless, with the remaining big name FAs still out there and the Cubs closer situation in limbo, even big name starters like KErshaw on the mend or hurting…i can’t say anything wouldnt be possible

True Stroman is their #1 and Giles is their closer, but how many weeks until they are already out of the chance for the East and having a great shot once a week from a starter and whenever they can get to the closer might start feeling like a luxury rather than an asset for the future

I actually think the Jays would be better suited by bringing up the best kids now and playing them now, use the rest to depth play or find a few relievers, sign Keuchel…and go for it

They feel like they are right there on the edge of going somewhere like the BRaves felt a couple years ago….instead of waiting another year…just dive in with the young talent

The deals i talk about are a bit much at any time of the year though so that is why they are here…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could see Stroman being a trade candidate in July because the Jays will be 20 games out of first by then and they won’t be in the wild card race either. Stroman and Bumgarner could both be on the block in July. Maybe the Cardinals will have interest then who knows?

I think the wild card right now is Kimbrel. Someone is going to sign this guy right? There was an article the other day stating that Kimbrel may wait until after the draft to sign because he wouldn’t have draft pick compensation attached to him then. That seems a bit drastic to me.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I haven’t seen anyone else say this, but I am wondering if teams are wary of Kimbrel because of the Holland mess with the Cardinals last spring. I doubt this is the primary concern, with years and money likely the main hangup.

Stroman still has two more years before free agency. I would think he would be a better trade candidate in July 2020. JMO, but I still see the rotation as the strength of this Cardinals team, but that could change by July.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Saw Sipp signed a deal for about 1.25million..and mutual for 2020 at 2.5

he was pretty good and a nice ERA…. solid lefty for a while

i know we have a bunch of candidates..and Shreve and Cecil can’t go anywhere… BUT if Cecil was 1.25m more and we got Sipps production i would be fine with it

Then you drop Cecil, and eat the money, let him start his comeback somewhere else…and still get quality lefty production out of Sipp without the damage feeling too major…

Shreve you start up in the bigs and see how it goes, same position he is in now IMO…he is borderline and there are other below him that are good enough to fill in behind a good lefty like Sipp (or if Cecil was good Cecil)

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

also…i think you are right on the apprehension tied to Kimbrel (and even Keuchel at this point…look at the late signing SPs performances last year like Cobb)

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years