Top 35 hitting prospects, all teams

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Top 35 hitting prospects, all teams

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Robert Reed 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Do you know if the model (the Davenport Translations) has any built in biases, such as weighing performances against higher levels of competition as more important, or if it gives more importance to guys who both perform well and are young for their league, like Carlson and Gorman?”

Good questions, dac. Through his website I have reached out to Davenport a few times over the past decade, but to no avail. So I’m afraid I’m not versed enough in his methodology to comment.
    However, speaking strictly of Lane Thomas, it certainly seems that more weight was given to his 2018 season than to his distant past. Rightly so, of course. Players change.

Since that answer was so useless, I should at least offer you a scrap of new information, dac. So here are some more NAPS numbers for Cardinal farmhands. Again, keep in mind that these are Peaks, not career averages. And they are based on a normalized on-base percentage of .320. Therefore, a NAPS of .500 is good enough to start for almost any team, at any position, in any season. And a .400 NAPS makes you roughly a league-average batter (in your very best seasons).

Ramon Urias .481
    Ivan Herrera .462
    Carlos Soto .458
    Justin Williams .455
    Andrew Knizner .452
    Randy Arozarena .447
    Evan Mendoza .415 (Yairo Munoz was also .415 before his 2018 breakthrough in the majors)
    Victor Garcia .409
    Tommy Edman .387
    Edmundo Sosa .354

For further context, Paul DeJong was .473 and Harry Bader was .477.

Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately I overlooked the guy who was already the most overlooked in the organization, Dominican Summer League keystone/hot corner combo infielder Ramon Mendoza.

Mendoza’s NAPS number of .455 compares quite favorably with many of the better Redbird prospects, and his road OPS was 158 points above his home tally so he might actually be even more promising than he seems at a glance. (If you get a chance, check his batted ball heat map at MLB Farm. Highly unusual, in a good way I think.)

As a righty bat he absolutely mauled righty arms (.370/.470/.590), which I also like a lot. First half, batted .347 but with an isolated slugging of just .102. Second half, hit just .292 but slugged a robust .520.

Listed at a modest 5’11” and 174, Mendoza was a conservative 75th in the community rankings. But I have him solidly inside the team top 40, perhaps as high as the 28-32 range. Wish I knew more about the glovework, but you can’t have everything.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years