Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Team Hall of Fame

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 548 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I just voted for Lankford and Tudor.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just cast my vote for John Tudor and Vince Coleman.Coleman by just a tiny bit ahead of Lee Smith and Izzy.Rolen,Lankford,Hernanandez tiny bit behind Lee Smith and Izzy.IMHO every one of them deserve in.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scott Rolen is one of my favorites all time. He will be one I vote for. the other is more difficult.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rolen was my favorite Cardinal for a couple of years there when he was a star. The whole soap opera between him and LaRussa sort of soured me on him a little bit, although neither guy took the high road in that crazy deal.

That’s the cool thing about the Cardinals Hall – fans can vote for some of their favorites.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Izzy pushing his own candidacy. Danny Mac has been doing the same on the telecasts.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, my two personal choices this year…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wanted Tommy Herr on that list. I went with Tudor & Lankford.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We definitely evaluated Herr among the candidates to go on the ballot. He could have finished as high as eighth this year in our vote, as they drew the line at seven.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Coming this Friday night before the Cubs game, Friday, May 4.

The fifth elected Cardinals Hall of Fame induction class will be revealed on FOX Sports Midwest during a 30-minute pregame television special at 6:00 p.m. CT. A pregame ceremony will also take place to commemorate the announcement. The 2018 Cardinals Hall of Fame enshrinement ceremony will take place on Saturday, August 18.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder this is tonight. Tune in – you may be a bit surprised.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I encourage votes for Keith Hernandez at https://Cardinals.com/hof/ .

I like Hernandez a lot, and would have had him third on my list this year. I actually voted for him last year, along with McCarver, as he ranks higher than McGwire in my opinion. But I can understand the sentiment for Big Mac as he did something no one else had done, and was such a (literally) huge presence on those late ’90s teams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Vince Coleman! LOL

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Brecheen and Lankford were probably overdue in their selections to the Cardinals’ Hall. I believe they were the two highest players in career WAR as a Cardinal to not be included in the club’s Hall of Fame.

I lobbied for John Tudor to get in as the third candidate, and outlined several noteworthy accomplishments of his in my article on the players a couple of months ago.

Coleman was a little too one-dimensional to be a Hall of Fame player in my opinion. I looked at him similar to last year’s induction of Mark McGwire. They each primarily did one thing better than just about anyone, but that “one thing” seems to resonate with fans. Vince was electric when he played, and could disrupt an opponent to the point of madness.

I think that those of us who grew up watching a lot of Cardinal baseball in Busch II, think of our teams as being special due to speed. We seemed to regularly have guys who could fly around the bases, and lived and died with speed and defense, while other teams tried to over power opponents. It was not like today where every team has several guys who hit 20+ homers. Back then, we would have one guy who could hit 20 homers, and a bunch of guys who ran the bases well and play defense.

Then Vince came along and stole bases like no one else before him, and we win 101 games. That was the Cardinal baseball we loved, and it still lives in fresh in fan’s memories.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, this isn’t about the Hall of Fame, but retired numbers are very closely related, so I put it here rather than start a new thread.

Medwick is very deserving, but my guess is that since so few care about old timers, the DeWitts would have no reason to honor him with a retired number. On top of it, if they did retire no. 7 – before no. 51 – the noise from some would be considerable – warranted or not.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Then when we win a 12th World Series we should retire another number to make them match. Was it Jack Buck or Mike Shannon that says “That’s a dozen cousin”?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I’ve commented on here about the odd fact that the Cardinals retired Slaughter’s number 9, but have never retired Medwick’s number 7. Arguably, #9 was worn by more significant players that #7 after Slaughter, and before his number was retired (Maris, Torre, Pendleton).

As time has passed, Matt Holliday has become the most significant #7 to date. But the club should have retired it before Matt played in St. Louis, had they been consistent with the process on other retired numbers.

The club’s standards on history puzzle me quite a lot. The 1892 thing is weird, although I believe some of that was due to league pressure.

I kind of think of the team’s history timeline like a relationship where say you and your spouse have been together for 25 years, but the first 5 years you lived together, then got married. You really have been a couple for 25 years, but the official document shows 20 years. Writers, fans and everyone outside the Cardinals’ organization consider 1882 as the year the Cardinals came into existence. But the official start year per the club is when the organization moved from the disbanded American Association to the National League, and rules were set in place that are mostly still in place today.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Slaughter was the among the first three retired numbers by the DeWitt ownership, during the 1996 season. The others were Red and Ozzie. (They added Hornsby the next year, 1997.)

I do not know the circumstances, but I have a few thoughts. It was the first year of the new ownership and they were trying to get back disgruntled fans and look back to the team’s heritage. It was the 50th anniversary of Enos’ signature moment, the Mad Dash, in the 1946 World Series Game 7. Also, Slaughter was still alive to be recognized in person.

Medwick died in 1975 so was not around the club any time recently, as was Slaughter.

On the 1882/1892 matter, it is not just the Cardinals decision. It was apparently a National League call not recognizing the American Association that also affects three other clubs. I still wish they would fix it – especially since player stats during that time are recognized.

I wrote three articles about this back in 2009. Here is the third, with links to the other two.

1800’s AA player stats ok, but team stats are not

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Harry the Cat received my top vote from the Veteran Era group.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals Hall of Fame ceremony Saturday, August 18 will not be televised live, but it will be shown on a delayed basis on FOX Sports Midwest, so set your DVRs!

Air dates for Cardinals Hall of Fame induction special on FOX Sports Midwest
    Monday, Aug. 20 7:30 p.m.
    Tuesday, Aug. 21 5 p.m.
    Thursday, Aug. 23 2 p.m.
    Friday, Aug. 24 6 p.m.
    Saturday, Aug. 25 5:30 p.m.
    Times Central

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you click on the photos, you can read the writeups on their plaques.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder that the first airing of the Hall of Fame special is coming up tonight before the pre-game show. The schedule is two posts up from this one.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 548 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.