Spring training team news

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training team news

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Munoz does look ‘chubby’ even in this photo.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Noticeably thinner players include Alex Reyes and Jedd Gyorko.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maddux is telling the pitchers to pitch up in the zone. Who would have thought anyone would dare to say ‘Its okay to pitch up in the zone’ after all those years of Papa Dunc preaching ‘down, down, down,’ and backing it up with unparalleled success? Mauddux’s justification for pitching up is we now know about ‘spin rate’, and spin rate is what allows some pitchers to pitch up. This all sounds good, but is it?

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/under-maddux-cardinals-turn-up-the-high-heat/article_7f178d3d-b01e-5a9c-a016-9c7a1a904168.html

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One great thing about baseball is how pitchers change the way they pitch hitters, and then hitters adjust, or at least the good ones do. Then the pitcher changes things again, and so forth…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is scheduled to pitch Friday? All I heard was Flaherty is starting.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mud you forgot to mention that pitching up in the zone takes away launch angles that hitters are now obsessing about. This is one of those moments where analytics are changing with the times. Hitters discover a new analytic tactic and pitchers having to adjust to it. Baseball has always a game of chess.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But this is a monumental change for this organization. Sixteen years of Dave Duncan, and ‘down, down, down’, and another 3-4 years of following his tradition. Yikes! The bottom line is that if the pitchers get more outs, or even easier outs, pitching up, then Maddux is right.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One size may not fit all. Hopefully, they will figure out which pitchers can prosper by pitching up and realize that if some cannot, to stop them before the damage is too severe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder what size collar Munoz wears.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Did the Cards hire a new photographer?

I feel the new images i saw on STLToday (i clicked through all 129 of them) were pretty poor…I am a professional photographer and i dont like to slam other photographers, and they arent the worst thing in the world or anything, but compared to the past these seemed pretty poor…

They feel very rushed and the background color isnt good, i like the idea of the silhouette but the poses and faces of the players feel like they were done by a photographer who doesnt do portraits and has never seen these players before.

I usually really get excited about the portraits every year and they havent ever let me down as a whole…they did this year… bummer

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are multiple groups of photographers.

1) The Cardinals have their in-house people.
    2) The Post-Dispatch has their own photographers.
    3) Independent photographers publish their work through AP, Getty or USA TODAY.

The ones you saw on StLToday I am guessing came from #2. Poor or not, they got 129 clicks from you, so they are winners!

If you checked the ones posted here on our front page, they came from #3. Specifically Steve Mitchell through USA TODAY Sports. Two clicks here and you can see them all – with no annoying ads. 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Someone mentioned it on here the other day but there has been a little chatter about Ozuna showing up out of shape. Can anyone that has been in Jupiter state their opinion on that?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC mentioned it. Perhaps he can share his source.

On the theme of photographers not knowing their subjects, I just saw this and had a chuckle.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thanks Brian….only issue with my 129 clicks is that next year i won’t be clicking through them all…nor will i be interested in other images sets should they come up

clicks dont equal quality…maybe that’s what they want…but the mortgaged their future clicks by throwing out bad ones…that’s their business choice so be it

as for the ones in your article…i usually look at those too…havent yet though!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fat Ozuna is a topic over at the PD’s Cards Talk site. Complete with several pics. And he does look like he has a significant belly in the pics. I’ll see if I can link something later.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hey, lay off Ozuna. In an ironic twist: Alcantara, Gallen, Castano AND Sierra all reported to Marlins camp looking a bit overweight. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The following quote was not attributed to its source, rumored to be Carson Kelly. 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, I just watched Ozuna’s first at-bat and he does not look particularly overweight to me. What do others think?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I obviously failed the class on linking

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeTrezz/status/965624869215002625

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years