Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 397 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I don’t intend to hijack this game thread but do you see Nogowski headed back to Springfield this year or does he have a shot at Memphis?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Funny, I had just updated the post above to add that. Nogowski will go back to Springfield most likely. It will be interesting to see how fast Luken Baker can advance.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards take a 2-1 lead in the 5th as Drew Robinson’s single past the first baseman scores Andrew Knizner from third.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GS, imo a game thread is a substitute for being at the game, where we talk about everything. Related topic, off topic, doesn’t matter. The game will get us back on…. And a base hit by the new guy Robinson! Very timely😀

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Schrock scores Robinson on an oppo single to left. Cards 3-1.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In the inning of infielders hitting, the lead expands to 6-1 on a three-run HR to left by Ramon Urias.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three-run HR to right by Max Schrock increases the lead to 10-1 in the sixth.

1982 willie
    Participant

im very intrigued by drew robinson, I think he could definitely make this team. I don’t see him as a opening day starter but being left handed, would really help coming off bench. I also liked tommy lane. could definitely help the left side of our bullpen. the announcers spoke greatly of him and I think they generally are good judges to a certain degree. I also thought the catcher for the cardinals looked good at the plate. seems they were saying he needs more work behind plate. bad thing for him is yadi is still great and unless the team is ready to move on from him next year or he drops off a lot, he may be moving onto another team.

1982 willie
    Participant

I like that the cardinals are hitting but outside of the starter, marlins pitchers have been suspect.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We will see how Layne does, but every hometown player gets extra attention. Clearly on this day, the Cards minor league hitters have fared better than the Cards minor league pitchers. 11-1 in the sixth.

1982 willie
    Participant

I thought lane looked really good. the starter for the marlins looked good and I thought mikolas looked ok but lane was really sharp. now he has pitched for quite a few teams but with that being said, he could really help. a long spring to go though.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Helsley hits 100 on the Busch gun, but gets a K on a breaking pitch. Strong endorsement by Danny Mac, calling him “my guy”.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

One game. But if the play by our youngsters today is any indication of their true abilities then we have some serious depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards (1-0) win their spring opener, 11-1, behind 20 hits.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been traveling so I haven’t had a chance to watch…sounds like some solid performances today. Hope to see it continue.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Max Schrock is 5’8″. Usually, shorter guys are wiry, but not this kid. Schrock looks really strong.

Just watching Edman in this first game makes me think he is a sleeper candidate to make the team.

Some fans here are expecting to see Ramon Urias impress. He got off to a good start today.

I was disappointed to see Adolis Garcia swing at pitches that were pretty far out of the strike zone, but amazed that he could still get his bat on those balls and hit them hard.

Carson Kelly, Andy Young, and Luke Weaver did not play for the Diamondbacks today.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Schrock looks really strong.

That he is, Mud….that he is. I thought we could have easily run up the score to 14 or 15-1, but what the heck, it’s only February. I know it goes against the grain, but I’ve always been a firm believer in when you have your opponent completely down and out…..you keep kicking sand in their faces by pouring it on…and on….and on. Many fans go home in the 6th of 7th inning when their team is destroying the opposition by 10+ runs. Those are the games that I cheer loudest in. I not only make it a point to be on hand until the final out in those sort of games, but I’m also the last fan to be ushered out. If you’ve never been the last fan to leave a ML game, you have no idea how wonderful it feels. My 4 Cardinals to make huge leaps in 2019 are as follows:

1. William Dexter Fowler
    2. Alexander “The Great” Fagalde
    3. Max “The Rock” Schrock
    4. Munoz

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nats starter today is RH Erick Fedde. LHP Daniel Norris starting for Detroit Monday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great results yesterday. Urias, Schrock, Thomas, Edman, Robinson. From the pitching side, Mikolas looked solid, Layne and Helsley looked great. Apparently Helsley is healthy as he hit 100 on the gun. Cervenka and Meisinger looked good too. I think Helsley starts at Memphis, but could be the first pitcher called up. Layne and Cervenka could be options if Cecil, Webb, Shreve don’t impress.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Helsley looked good, but I am not ready to suggest that he would get called up before more experienced pitchers such as Gomber and Ponce de Leon, who probably aren’t going to make the opening day roster unless some guys are cut loose or the injury bug hits. Also depends on how roles are defined and what the StL need will be.

I also like Edman as the guy to eventually address the current concern about the reserve SS, but he is not yet ready. Especially without a 40-man spot yet, he would be a major long shot to make the team this spring unless DeJong goes down with injury.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Woodford starting this early in the Spring says what? Ticketed for Memphis rotation? Hudson, Gomber, Ponce, Helsley, Woodford, Cabrera. Looks crowded.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 397 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.