Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

This topic contains 395 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 5 hours, 32 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 396 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That hit by Munoz in the 7th should have sealed the deal for him. He has to make the opening day roster, IMO. JMart tripled, Ravelo grounded out to first, Robinson struck out with JMart still on third, and then Munoz came up to the plate and doubled. Too bad for Mayers. It seems like his coaches like him and want him on the team. But he’s not impressing this spring.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mayers’ ERA is 4.05, hardly fatal. In fact, it is almost the same as Gant. Batters are hitting a collective .240 against Mayers. His big issue seems to be five walks in 6 2/3 innings. One would think that can be correctable.

Among the pitchers with higher ERAs than Mayers this spring: Shreve (barely), Mikolas, Brebbia, Miller, Layne, Ponce de Leon and Gomber.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not to worry, Mudville. Munoz has been……and still is a mortal lock to stick. TLR coveted players in the mold of Munoz….and they don’t grow on trees. When you have a player occupying a roster slot such as JMart, who in all practical purposes cannot play any position, you have to have another player who can play several. Yeah he’s not Ryne Sandberg at 2nd….or “The Wizard” at short….or Brooks Robinson at 3rd…..or Andre Dawson in right….or Paul Blair in center….or Lou Brock in left…..but he can anchor down all 6 of those positions for you when called upon. Yairo “Palito” Munoz…..whatever you do, do NOT pencil him onto that final 25 man roster……. ink him in!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

We now know which game the Cardinal brass will be watching.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Us, too, as the home game is the only one televised.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Home game lineup:

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    2. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    7. Dylan Carlson (S) LF
    8. Randy Arozarena (R) CF
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

Road game:

1. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    2. Drew Robinson (L) SS
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) RF
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Rangel Ravelo (R) 1B
    6. Matt Wieters (S) C
    7. Yairo Munoz (R) 2B
    8. Max Schrock (L) 3B
    9. Daniel Ponce de Leon (R) P

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Which team will score more runs today? Sure, I’ll take the road Birds.

NJ315
    Participant

Free

Hard to pick they separated Fowler and Ozuna.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Robinson at SS and Munoz at 2B. The other day it was the opposite.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The team at home faces lefty Wade Miley while the road lineup has to face prospect Forrest Whitley, who fanned six Cardinals in three innings last Friday. Of course, there will be plenty of bullpenners, too.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Miller got trashed today and now I’m going to be hyperventilating between now and Opening Day whenever he pitches.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Not a very good look for Miller in a couple of games this spring. The walks are particularly concerning. Hopefully he’s just been experimenting and will have things under control by opening day.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Any idea how the Cardinals were able to use Zach Jackson twice as a pinch hitter?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Which team will score more runs today? Sure, I’ll take the road Birds.Which team will score more runs today? Sure, I’ll take the road Birds.

You lose but we’re all losing.

Where’s the offense?

This team gets a very short leash far as I’m concerned. 3 years without postseason is enough.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards dropped both games to the Astros Friday. 11-2 and 5-0. Record now 7-12-3.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

16-2 & 7-12-3. Pretty lame numbers in any league. I don’t think any of we sane posters are ready to tickle the red panic button just yet…..but red flags in both Jupiter and St. Louis are a waving….and they in no shape or form resemble pennants.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Revised lineup. Reminder that the game is on MASN, not FSM.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman will start today at 3B vs WAS.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“The Rock” in the 3 hole…..sweet! If that vote of confidence doesn’t snap him out of his little hitting funk, then I’ll eat my hat. I’m calling this one 7-3 Birds with “The Rock” banging out a pair of ringing doubles and both O’Neill and Arozarena finding the cheap seats with bat in hand.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Statement AB for Edman vs Scherzer

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Scherzer is looking in top form. 9 ks in 6 IP.

Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The 18-year-old Nolan Gorman — misidentified as 19 on multiple occasions by the Nationals broadcast team — is almost certainly the youngest Cardinal to homer in an official Spring Training game in a long, long, long time. Perhaps ever.

On the other hand, the fistful of strikeouts and errors show just how very far he is from MLB-ready. The day could not have summed him up better. A true gem is this kid, but with much cutting and polishing to come. I expect we’ll see him in the majors for keeps beginning sometime in 2021, when he himself is 21.

jj-cf-stl
    jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Tack on a loud double for Edman vs Dolittle. Fine day.

Viewing 25 posts - 301 through 325 (of 396 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years