Spring training 2019 games thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019 games thread

This topic contains 395 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Avatar gscottar 5 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 396 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As we have talked about before the Cubs have a pretty good pitching staff but their depth is rather suspect. I’m sure they are hoping to be injury free but that is hard to do over 162 games. The Cards, meanwhile, have plenty of depth. That should be an advantage for us.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian, Waino had 0.84 ERA last spring in 3 starts. There remains a lot of uncertainty with the entire staff outside Mikolas.

Can Wacha pitch injury free back-to-back season?
    Can Flahery reproduce another good season without a sophomore slump?
    Will Martinez be healthy enough to be used in rotation?
    Can the young guns (Hudson, Gomber, Gant) gold up to a full season?
    Will Reyes finally produce a meaningful season?

These don’t even take into account how bad the bullpen has been the past 3 seasons.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I wouldn’t worry about Flaherty.
    He’s a horse and has looked great this Spring. Wacha has looked fine too. And Hudson has been coming on
    strong. Gant is steady Eddie. We should be okay.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought the question on the table is how the pitching is doing this year. You said it is “pretty sad”. The cold, hard stats indicate they are doing pretty well, especially the starters.

Last year, when Wainwright was injured three times, the depth covered for him very nicely. The same guys are all back with a year more of experience.

All 30 MLB teams have questions. In the area of starting pitching, the Cards are in a better place than the vast majority of them.

If I was to worry about anything regarding pitching, it would be the pen, but again, most of the guys getting bombed this spring are not the top contenders for jobs right now.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, in regards to the bullpen, who do you think makes it as the second lefty? To my knowledge, all of the available options look bad, but I don’t know if they’ve been fairly equally bad. Also, do you think it’s possible they head north with just Andrew Miller as the only lefty in the pen? It might make sense if you have a big enough difference in quality between the last rhp to make it and whomever your second best lefty is. For example, if the difference between Mayers and Chasen Shreve was big enough to overcome the utility of having two lefties.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Monday’s lineup behind Flaherty vs. Max Scherzer:

1. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    2. Dexter Fowler (S) RF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Marcell Ozuna (R) LF
    5. Jose Martinez (R) DH
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Kolten Wong (L) 2B
    8. Drew Robinson (L) SS
    9. Harrison Bader (R) CF

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

dac, fortunately two-plus weeks remain for things to settle out further. No, I don’t think they would just go with Miller as the only lefty. If I had to decide today, Shreve (.091 BAA, but three walks) would make the team over Webb because of options and Cecil would open on the DL.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I guess i shouldnt have been surprised to see Sosa go down, but it definitely forces Munoz and Robinson into proving whether they can handle SS or not…especially Robinson IMO

speaking of…we havent seen Gyorko there at all this spring and we onyl saw him there 5 times? i think last year during the regular season

To me that reads pretty clearly that they do not want to play Gyorko at SS at all, and more pertaining to the construction of the team year, means it is pretty much a slam dunk that the 4th bench spot is going to whomever can play SS and CF of Robinson or Munoz

It seems lame that Oneill is doing so well and will be at AAA (especially with his ability to play CF too), but unless we see a Gyorko trade we are going with a bench of:

Wieters (sorry Pena, even if you werent hurt it was gonna be tough to knock out the pedigree and hitting of Wieters)
    Gyorko
    JMart
    Munoz or Robinson (which comes down to how well Munoz can play CF and Robinson can play SS)

I like Gyorko…i do…but we really need to move him and have a better balanced bench with Oneill in his spot

I suggest TOR…with Vlad Jr going down for a coupel months, they have a much bigger opening at 3b to fill while he recovers and proves he is ready….after that Gyorko still has quality as a starter at 2b if Travis and Gourriel arent producing, and Bichette isnt ready… not to mention he can help with 1b or DH or just a bench spot if they are so inclined

the TOR farm has plenty to offer…and perhaps we could even package some other parts and make a bigger deal to get a bigger fish…TOR and every team always needs young pitching

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A Turner double and Soto RBI single have the Nats up 1-0 in the first.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tuesday’s match up at Atlanta in Orlando: Miles Mikolas vs. RHP Bryse Wilson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Goold has an article in the PD regarding Cecil’s weight loss and the struggles he has had this spring. Below is the next to last paragraph and is something that has always bothered me about phantom IL stints. The Dodgers have been terrible about it and the Cardinals are not far behind. This kind of garbage is why there is a proposal to go back to 15 day IL stints for pitchers.

The option the Cardinals allowed as a possibility would mean finding an ailment to place Cecil on the injured list. He’d continue work in Jupiter, Fla., as the season opens.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler threw out Eaton at the plate to keep the score 1-0 Nats heading into the home third.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Interesting that the Cards are using the DH today but the Nats are not.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

It bothers me that it’s now the IL rather than DL. “Can anything good come out of IL??”

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you are ill, what better place to go? 😉

Cards scored three in the third to take a 3-1 lead. Fowler had one RBI and is 2-for-3. Goldschmidt plated him and Carpenter on a double.

On the DH, it is the part of spring where it is really up to the teams. Some would rather have position players get more ABs, while other teams want the pitchers to hit.

On Cecil, I get the DL/IL manipulation issue, but from the players’ perspective, they get an extra player receiving MLB pay, so I imagine they are not going to fight on this front. A return to 15 days is on the table and should shut some of it off, though not in the case of Cecil probably.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ravelo made a diving catch at first base to preserve the 3-2 win. Flaherty fanned five in five innings. Woodford finished with two scoreless innings. Cards are now 7-8-2 this spring.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why are the Cardinals playing Ravelo so much. Goldschmidt is going to play 150-160 games baring injury and Ravelo can play no other position. Also a right handed hitter.

I would rather see them play Munoz and Robinson there to back Goldschmidt. Munoz and Robinson seem to be in a fight for the final roster spot. Are the Cardinals showcasing Ravelo for a possible deal for a prospect?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, I don’t think a showcase would do much for Ravelo’s value. My guess is it is because they expect Gyorko to be the reserve first baseman and he is hurt.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Cecil was trying to lose weight, or is there something wrong with him?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The suggestion is that Cecil lost too much weight, which messed him up. Now he is trying to find middle ground.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NO. STARTING LINEUP POS.
    82 Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    4 Yadier Molina C
    12 Paul DeJong SS
    41 Tyler O’Neill RF
    81 Rangel Ravelo 1B
    79 Max Schrock (L) DH
    34 Yairo Muñoz 3B
    48 Harrison Bader CF
    91 Dylan Carlson (S) LF
    39 Miles Mikolas RHP

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards fall to 7-9-2 (corrected) on the spring with a 5-0 loss at Disney on Tuesday. Mikolas gave up all five Braves runs, including two homers. Reyes fanned two of three batters faced in the eighth and in another telling move, Gant threw the ninth. The offense managed just six hits.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 396 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years