Spring training 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Spring training 2019

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 214 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gomber went 5-0 last August in really important MLB games. That VEB dude is overly fixated on spring results.

Here is what Shildt told us Wednesday. His level of praise of Gomber was high.

Anyone who thought that after just six Double-A starts, Kruczynski was anywhere near MLB ready is being unrealistic. He is a year away.

The starter that no one is talking about that they should is Jake Woodford. Then there are those guys named Helsley and Cabrera. They will likely be fine, too.

Of all the possible areas to worry about, starting pitching would be nowhere near the top of my list.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As it should be..Shreve just doesn`t show enough good stuff and the HR ball kills him.I hope he stays with the organization to see if he can figure out his problem but I think he goes elsewhere.After all he is a Lefty and throw with some velocity…he will get chance elsewhere.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It looks to me like the last spot on the OD roster is between Webb and Brebbia. Everything else looks to be settled. I guess they still have to choose between Munoz and Robinson too but I would guess it will be Munoz.

And I did give a shout out to Woodford yesterday. I think he becomes our next Lance Lynn.

NJ315
    Participant

Webb and Robinson I am hoping. But I was wrong about Pena so it will be Brebbia and Munoz. I am so good at this being wrong stuff it is scary.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My summary of the roster situation.

Cardinals Select Wieters, DFA Shreve

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

2019 Opening Day Bullpen:

Hicks
    Reyes
    Miller
    Mayers
    Brebbia
    Gant
    Leone

Layne gets sent to Memphis where the Cards can stash him until they need him and figure out how to open up a 40-man spot for him.

Brebbia and Webb have been solid this spring and so I could see either of them taking the 7th spot, however the Cardinals have a ton of RHP already in the pen who can get LHH out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

They can open a 40 man spot for Layne anytime by putting Williams on the 60 day DL.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Shreve is not definately gone. He could easily clear waivers and end up in Memphis. The Cards are already on the hook for his salary.

1982 willie
    Participant

im hoping brebbia makes the roster. hes always been solid. to me left or right doesn’t really matter. I just want guys who can get outs.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

We open with the Brewers and they have some serious lefty bats. Not a good situation.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if any of the 3 injured players, Cecil, Williams, and Gregerson might end up on the 60 day IL? Gregerson being the most likely. That could open up a roster spot, or spots, if needed, as other teams make decisions to remove players from their 40 man roster. The Cards might scoop up a player that could fill a need, or as suggested fill Memphis with another outfielder.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Williams is the most likely. Gregerson is already throwing nearly full throttle.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So probably a 30 day rehab stint for Gregerson, after which and barring injuries, Brebbia, Webb or whoever wins the last relief spot will be sent down when Gregerson is activated likely somewhere in early May.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just a guess, but if Gregerson feels he is healthy I doubt he would agree to a 30 day rehab. Maybe a shorter one though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas pitches Thursday against Milwaukee, and Flaherty toeing the rubber Friday. I see no other pitchers listed, but I would assume Wacha Saturday, Wainright Sunday, and Hudson pitching in Pittsburgh for Pirates home opener the following Monday?

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The above rotation would line Flaherty up for having the home opener.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Spring training is Spring training…. I would wait until we see some actual starts at Memphis before becoming concerned. Should both falter I might show some nervousness. If you are one who believes ST is meaningful, Kruczinski’s performance yesterday might give you the shakes als

*********************************************************************************

Anyone who thought that after just six Double-A starts, Kruczynski was anywhere near MLB ready is being unrealistic. He is a year away.

*********************************************************************************
    Where is the implication that Kruczynski is ready for MLB?

BTW, I was also scoffed at here for saying a while back that Hudson would be in the rotation in ’19. Just for instance.

“They’re not laughing anymore”…. and the wall came down.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If Edman isn’t in the mix for a call-up to St Louis in ’19, he should be. A true SS that switch hits and plays all the INF positions equally well.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I see Edman as the superior option to Sosa right now. I have seen growth in Sosa this spring, and I have seen times when he looked like the A ball guy hitting third on a good team. Yet Edman seems like a player who is making even bigger strides. As much praise as he has received on the broadcasts, Backfield Dan has never once mentioned his base stealing prowess. He may be the best in the entire system.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Edman was on the 40 man roster I think I would want him on the opening day roster instead of Robinson. He has much more upside, a switch hitter and good insurance if Wong goes into a hitting funk.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Roster coming into final focus.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m seeing a lot of familiar names returning to TCN from the off-season. Its good to know that we’ll have added info and opinions going into the regular season. Welcome back. The question of the day is: why did you guys/gals leave for the winter? Baseball is 365 here.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a fan of the Wisdom-Robinson trade, but I wanted to Robinson a chance. This spring Robinson has struck out way too many times. Don’t care what side of the plate he hits from. Especially when he potentially will come up as a pinch hitter in a key situation. I hope Gyrko comes back soon.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 214 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.