September callups

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum September callups

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  thejager 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

First wave is Alcantara, Flaherty, Bader, Rosario and Mejia.

I had predicted all but Mejia. Surprised it was not Diaz instead.

Gilmartin was DFA’ed. I missed that one.

PadsFS
    Participant

I thought Rosario was injured. Good deal. Kelly can be used as a pinch-hitter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Pads, there were a bunch of moves at Memphis yesterday, including Rosario. Check out the Memphis Notebook.

Here is today’s announcement and my quick take.

http://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-promote-five-from-minors/

PadsFS
    Participant

Diaz committed his first error in like 40 games at Memphis last night. If nothing else, his glove has been reliable this year, which bodes well for him when his bat picks back up.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Yahoo…. Valera will be called up today.

Bw52
    Participant

Why Valera?Is he filling a position of need? Is he long term option or just rewarding a good trooper? I would rather see O’Neill or Wisdom get a shot just for the experience.Mayers could be dropped from the 40 man roster and the Cards could offer him a Spring invite to show his stuff again.

thejager
    Participant

Valera can play 2b, LF, RF…SS in a big pinch…not sure on 3b with him

he is a switch hitter…that hits for high average and always has…even added a little pop this year

and most of all
    He is on the 40man already…Oniell and Wisdom are not

do we really want to throw away Valera without giving him a shot to impress? the guy is built for a super utility role and bench asset for late game ABs

Id like to see Wisdom and Oneill too, but i dont want to throw away people from our 40man just to see them for a couple weeks….

If Carp is done for the year…or if Waino is done for the year or even Gyorko… we could 60 day them and add Wisdom, and Oneill….if all three went down we coudl even add Montgomery

Brian Walton
    Keymaster
    UConn Card
    UConn Card

Makes more sense when you know Wong went back to St Louis to have his back issues checked out. Valera’s main position is second.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Despite both Mejia and Valera being called up, Memphis still has Diaz and Tovar for the middle infield and they also got Tommy Edman from Springfield as insurance. I think that Seferina was an option, but he doesn’t play SS…. only 2B…. Edman plays both.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

As we knew, Valera was sent down to Triple-A. To make Memphis’ roster right, the Cardinals called up Sierra.

thejager
    Participant

interesting move…i’d think an extra 2b plus rf lf switch hitter would be more valuable right now than a speedy CF that doesnt really steal bases

not sure what the point of this move is…Valera didnt look lost out there when given the chance

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

PadsFS
    Participant

Valera made about $20 in his week’s time here I think! Hopefully he’ll be back soon and with Diaz.

PadsFS
    Participant

Especially obvious since they put Pham in LF tonight with Bader in CF rather than playing Piscotty.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Gyorko has been activated and is available to pinch hit.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

After the activation of Wainwright on Tuesday, Diaz and Lucas have been recalled. Unless there are injuries, this could be it.

Bw52
    Participant

Well horsehockey as Col. Potter used to say.If not bringing up Mayers then give his spot to someone else (Montgomery,O`Neill,Wisdom).Just wasting a spot IMO.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

mudville
    Participant

I hope Wisdom catches on with an organization that needs a third baseman.

Bw52
    Participant

CariocaCard says Wisdom is not a free agent.He is eligible for Rule V draft from what I read if the Cards don’t put him on the roster.If I have bad info someone please correct me.I think some team will take a flyervon him just because of his power potential and ability to play 3B.Say hello Philly or Angels or Mets.

PadsFS
    Participant

Valera was brought back too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Valera was brought up for one week earlier this month before being sent down. I am not aware that he is back again.

PadsFS
    Participant

Goold said he was back in a tweet.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Very odd. Why would the team send out a press release the same day announcing the other two callups, but exclude Valera if he was with them? The Cards’ strange behavior with Valera continues.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.