Questions about the New TCN

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Questions about the New TCN

This topic contains 43 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 22 hours, 31 minutes ago.

• Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

As you may know, The Cardinal Nation (TCN), TheCardinalNation.com, left the Scout network at the end of June, returning to independent operation. Details can be found in an article at the Scout site with a more detailed question and answer set located at the top of the free Scout message board.

If you have not read them, please do so, as they provide important details.

Link to article
    Message board Q&A link

There is also a post here on the new TCN for paying subscribers on how to get started.

If you are a free user, you only need to sign up for a free userid and password to comment here on the Open Forum. See the upper right of this page to get started! (If you already had an logon for TCN Blog, it will be active here, as well.)

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Brian Walton.

stlcard25
    Participant

Hi Brian… interesting new site.

A quick question…is there going to be a mobile friendly version or an update to the current format to make it a little more usable for mobile formats? I do most of my forum posting on phone or tablet and I can’t see avatars, and the formatting is pretty funky.

Thanks!

stlcard25
    Participant

Also, will we be able to edit our profiles so that our real names don’t show up on our posts? Would really strongly prefer that to not be the case.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Welcome, stlcard25. You are the first to discover our soft opening. As a result, you encountered the first public problems.

USERID vs. NAME

You seem to have figured out how to change your name in your user profile. Others can update your profile, too (including what name is displayed, avatar, etc.), at the upper right via WELCOME > MY PROFILE. Also, here is the direct URL.

thecardinalnation.com/wp-admin/profile.php

I am looking into changing the default for everyone to display your USERID, rather than your name. Ideally, I would prefer to keep your name in the profile, but in the background, as it will help when billing time comes around.

However, I certainly understand the privacy issue and am trying to figure out how to make the system-wide change to USERID appearing here.

MOBILE

In order to get the site up in an incredibly short time, I had to make the decision to make site rendering on mobile be a clean up item once the site is stable. It is definitely high on the priority list for phase 2.

Welcome!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Brian Walton.

stlcard25
    Participant

Thanks for the answers, Brian. I appreciate the time you gave put into getting this new place ready to go.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Sorry you were the one to take the first arrows. Others, feel free to get your questions on the table.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Another tip from a user received via email.

“Logging in was a little odd, in that I didn’t immediately have access to the member stories until I closed my browser and reopened it.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I received an email question from a member, “Why PayPal?”

Many of you prefer to be on a monthly plan for access to TCN. The logistics of having new billing every month would be onerous for you and me. Therefore, the site is set up with recurring payments (once you enter your payment info for the first time).

The only way to make recurring billing work is to store your payment information somewhere. The question became where best to do that.

The best and safest way to store your payment information is in PayPal. Because financial transactions are their business, their security is second to none. Only you can see the details of your financial information. I cannot. And that is the way it should be.

For those worried about potential problems, I am your support, not an 800 number. My commitment to you is that if there are billing issues with your account, I will make things right.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Brian Walton.

gscottar
    Participant

How do we mark threads as “read’?

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

Welcome. To be honest, I don’t know how to mark threads as “read”. I just added it to my to-do list to look into.

forsch31
    Participant

I am unable to access “My Profile” even when I am logged in.

Nevermind. I was able to get in by clicking on the poster name in my post.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  forsch31.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I am glad it worked for you, forsch, and welcome!

At least one other had the same problem today, but it seemed to clear up when she re-started her browser.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I am unable to access the premium board.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

I prefer to handle specific problems related to your individual subscription accounts privately rather than post your personal info here. Anyone can email me or use the CONTACT US form under the ABOUT tab at the top of the page. I will respond very quickly. Thanks.

CC, please check your email for the explanation.

mudville
    Participant

I don’t like that I can’t edit or delete a post when I want to.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

The system default is a five minute period during which posts can be edited. That should give time to proofread comments and correct any errors.

gscottar
    Participant

Brian, any update on the issue of how to mark a thread “read”? Thanks.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

No update. It is on the list, but frankly through the holiday weekend, my focus has been on helping those who have serious problems such as log on and password issues that are keeping them from getting on the site at all. Hope you understand I have to set priorities during a very busy time. Thanks.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian,

Can we see post counts when the new version rolls out? Can you make the separator between posts stand out a little more, perhaps gray rather than white? (or make that an option)

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

Those are two other good potential usability enhancements that I will look into when the smoke clears.

Just to make sure I get it, though, do you mean separators between comments within a thread like this one?

PadsFS
    Participant

correct. and it may be my monitor.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

Well, the separators are already a light gray now. I could see about going darker, I guess, but maybe you could check on another device.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I know you have addressed the mobile issues but that needs to come fast. Reading posts a letter at a time doesn’t cut it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I am unsure why some posts are listed that way and others not. Agree it needs attention. Thanks for the reminder.

CariocaCardinal
      Participant

Pretty sure it happens when people keep replying to replies. Each one is indented but since the mobile screen is only so wide it makes each line short (up to one letter short) rather than push part of the line off the screen.

Brian Walton
        Keymaster

I appreciate the additional information. (I also made it another nested reply so I can see the results on my phone.)

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Brian Walton.

blingboy
    Participant

Test

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I have run across several cases in which the system is not allowing avatars to be loaded and I am looking into the problem. I will inform you when it is fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Philip Guengerich
    Participant

Renewing—Beware.
    Before you renew your Cardinal Nation subscription BE SURE TO CANCEL YOUR SCOUT SUBSCRIPTION. I renewed my Cardinal Nation subscription on Saturday, 7/8/17 and Scout immediately renewed my Scout subscription to the tune of $79.95. I must have agreed to automatic renewal with Scout when I first started with Cardinal Nation some years ago but I am positive it was in March. If you do not what to be billed for Scout, cancel it first. When I called them, I was basically told that it was my fault and there would be no refund. Speaks not so well of the public relations department. All for the almighty dollar! I will never deal with the again.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

I regret you experienced this, Philip. You had the unfortunate timing of your Scout membership coming up for renewal in early July.

There is no way to have opted out of Scout’s automatic renewal. The only way to stop this is to cancel before your anniversary date. Anyone should be able to verify your Scout paid-through date via clicking on the head and shoulders icon, logging in and selecting MY SUBSCRIPTIONS at the upper right of the page at http://www.scout.com/mlb/cardinals.

To cancel your Scout subscription, you must contact the Scout.com Membership Center at 1-888-501-5752 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. CDT, Monday through Friday.

But as Phil notes, you must do it BEFORE your anniversary date to avoid being billed again.

P.S. I tried to point this out in the various communications before the site change, but I am sure not everyone noticed it. If your intent is to leave Scout, there is no reason to delay canceling and risk forgetting to do it later. As Phil learned, there is no grace period given. Do be advised that your Scout membership will still be honored though your paid-through date if you cancel.

I am sorry that I cannot directly help anyone with Scout difficulties, as that is now completely out of my influence. I can assure you that here, I am your customer support and you will be treated fairly.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Brian Walton.
      • This reply was modified 1 week ago by  Brian Walton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I am pleased to inform you that the avatar loading problem is fixed and tested. Load away (from WELCOME (yourname) > MY PROFILE at the upper right) and sorry for the inconvenience!

P.S. Please use good taste in your avatar selection, as I reserve to the right be the arbiter on what is appropriate here. Thanks in advance.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Brian Walton.

gscottar
    Participant

1. Any update on how to mark threads as “read”?

2. Do the threads notate which threads we have posted in?

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

1. In a quick check, I did not see this capability, but I haven’t taken it off the list.
      2. If you mean, does the system mark which threads you have posted in?, I don’t think so – at least in a visible way. I know that you can subscribe to threads of interest, to be informed via email when others comment. By clicking on your name, you can also see which threads you have started as well as all that you have commented in.

blingboy
    Participant

I cannot find any way to get my reply to nest under the one I am replying to. I can only post a comment that adds on at the bottom.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

On the post you want to nest your comment underneath, there is a gray bar above the icon of the poster and their original comment. On the left side of the gray bar is the date and time of the post. On the right, are several words, including REPLY on the far right. Clicking on REPLY is what nests the comment, as in this case, I am REPLYing to you.

gscottar
    Participant

I am having difficulty staying logged in. I can log into the home page but when I click on the forum page it logs me out. Strange.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

Sorry you are having trouble. This is a new one to me. Please share a bit more. When you log on the second time at the forum, do you stay logged in then? Or does the process repeat?

gscottar
    Participant

The process repeats. If I click on a thread it logs me back in but if I go back to the open forum it logs me out, which makes it difficult to determine the time and date of the most recent posts. It could be something peculiar to my computer, I don’t know.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

You may want to try clearing the cookies on your browser. Some folks had initial problems being blocked from reading articles after logging in the first time because of old cookies. Though your problem is different, it could have a similar root cause.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I seem to get kicked out of my login about every other day.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

Do you see any sort of pattern or have any supporting information that might help me fix the problem?

lrcardinal
    Participant

Hi Brian, I am having the same type of Problem. Everytime, I click on your latest article, it says for paid customers only. However, If I go back to home, I am logged in. If I login successfully, click on article, it appears I am not logged on and I get same message all over again.

lrcardinal
    Participant

Hi Brian, Whatever was causing me to have to login when clicking on your New York Update Part 2 article has gone away.

Thanks.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

To help me try to better understand this, I have a question. BEFORE you logged in, did you try to view the new NY members article? Or were you challenged to log on again the very first time you tried to view that article?

Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.