Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Paul Goldschmidt Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 469 total)
  • Author
    so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Brian, obviously from his tweeted images of his texts with his source, Ives didn’t perform due diligence. But how do you protect yourself from email or text message spoofs, where the return address/number is spoofed? Is Easton really the perp? Or someone out to get Easton?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you don’t know your sources, you don’t go with the information provided. Even when you do and have multiple solid sources, rumors can change before they become fact. Been there, done that. It is a tough business to try to be in.

Anonymous texts are not “a trusted source”, as Ives originally asserted. People in the business establish networks of contacts in the industry – such as when Mark Saxon perhaps too politely noted, “When I checked on this, I did not get the same information as Hunter.” I say “too polite” because some people misinterpreted Saxon, even here.

Regarding the second part of your question, I am not going to answer directly because of prior interactions with Easton Leonard. I will note that his Twitter account has been deleted, however. The aftermath is no better, as 99.9% of the Twitter moralizing being posted would be better left unsaid, IMO.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I appreciate Derrick reaching out to him. That was a class act by, Mr. Goold. This entire mess has seemingly divided Cards twitter into two solid camps.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel cheated….violated….bamboozled if you will. I thought for sure Goldy was in the Bird’s nest for at least the next 5 years. I wish there was some way I could get my hands on that little Twitter tantalizer…..I’d start him out with a 20 minute swirlie.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, is that the same Easton that used to post here about 5 years ago, got temporarily banned along with 2-3 others, and then left and created his owm message board?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Anyone can get fooled but why would a member of the Cardinal’s media team have a NW Arkansas area code phone number?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CC, that was the first of a number of obvious clues that this was fishy. Teams don’t do weekend pressers, some of the other announcements had already been made, etc. Reporters with experience would not have been fooled, hence picking an 18-year old who did not know any better.

On the bigger picture, good advice from Ken Rosenthal.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am combining my thoughts from the trades thread to this one:

With the JMart and Mikolas deals done who will get the next extension? Goldy??? Can they extend him before opening day? Would 5 years $140M get it done?

I tend to disagree with the thoughts on the Goldy extension. I think he is very likely to sign one soon. The reason is the players are seeing that free agency is far from a slam dunk anymore. Even if you end up getting the money do you want to put yourself and your family through the meat grinder for several months to get it done? Arenado saw what was going on and wisely re-signed with the Rockies. I predict Goldy will follow that path also. I’m not saying the Cardinals will get a discount but I don’t foresee a massive overpay either. I think 5/140 will be close.

I should also add that not only has the deep freeze in the free agent market made players re-think their options it is obvious that Cardinal management is making Goldschmidt a HIGH priority. They aren’t trying to hide that fact. It has been my observation over the years that when the front office really wants to re-sign someone they make it happen. A lot of us tend to think the Cardinals are overly frugal (they are) but they will open the checkbook to keep their current players. They just usually don’t like to spend on players outside the system. They also know that giving up 3 prospects and a draft pick and only keeping a guy for one year is a bad look. The more I think about it I will peg the chances of a Goldy extension at 75%.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the stumbling block for Goldschmidt, as with most free agents lately, will be length of contract. If he demands more than 5 years, there could be a problem getting him signed. He turns 32 on September 10th. So, if he signs for 5 years, he will be 37 on the last day of his 5-year contract.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Goldschmidt trade as it stands gets an A-/B+. but if he signs an extension it becomes at A++++++++++ trade.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m with C-27 on this one. The organization isn’t really prepared to hand the job over to any 1B prospect in the near future. If Baker doesn’t hit his potential, it will be much longer. However, Carpenter is always there if Goldschmidt wants to go FA.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with C-27 on this one. The organization isn’t really prepared to hand the job over to any 1B prospect in the near future. If Baker doesn’t hit his potential, it will be much longer. However, Carpenter is always there if Goldschmidt wants to go FA.

There seem to be plenty of guys who could be future first basemen, if you believe all the prospect gurus.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The more I think about it, I will peg the chances of a Goldy extension at 75%.

Pretty darn close. It’s a fairly complex hodgepodge of mathematical and statistical formulas, so I shall refrain from delving too deep, so not to bore the board. But if one is intimately familiar with linear regressions, Poisson, geometric, exponential and uniform distributions, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, estimates and both the Bayes and central limit Theorems, then one can play ball with these sort of probabilities. It should also go without saying that the player’s (in this case, Goldy) and especially his new employer’s previous 8 year financial track records be considered. League financial trends and tendencies are also examined for application. Anyway, the chances for Goldy extending his current contractual stay with St. Louis is 72.38%.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Mmmmm. Are you sure about that Mr. Adams? Poisson seems a little fishy to me.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“…they must convince the Goldschmidts to stay,” writes Ben Fred.

This BenFred premise is worth pondering, I think.

So the Cardinals must convince 31-year-old superstar first baseman Paul Goldschmidt to stay? We can test that theory pretty easily, because some folks (myself included) thought they had to convince 31-year-old superstar first baseman Albert Pujols to stay, after the 2011 season.

But Pujols of course wanted too much money for too many years, and painful as it was, the Cards parted company with the future 1st ballot Hall Of Famer. In general we all of course know what’s happened after Albert was NOT signed by the Birds. But let’s check the particulars, both before and after Albert’s departure.

Cards with reputed lunkhead Matheny and no Pujols: 7 seasons, averaged 90 wins, 3rd best in MLB.
    Cards with certain Hall Of Famers LaRussa & Pujols: 11 seasons, averaged 90 wins, also 3rd best in MLB.

So I’d say we are forced to conclude that there is no such thing as a player who MUST be signed. Period.

If Goldy’s very gentle decline of the past few years continues in 2019, and he wants more than 5 years or more than $30M per year, then the Cards probably need to let him go. Because there would be better ways to invest the club’s dough over the long haul — just as there were when Pujols painfully left.

“There seem to be plenty of guys who could be future first basemen, if you believe all the prospect gurus.”

Yes, there are indeed big bats in the minors, some arriving in the next 2-3 years. There very likely aren’t any future 5-WAR first basemen…but then, Goldy probably isn’t a 5-WAR first baseman either in another year or two. Maybe not even in 2019. (But I sure hope so.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A side point, but comparing regular season wins is probably not the most telling way to compare eras. A point to remember is the devaluation of wins in recent years due to tanking.

I agree with the main point, which is Goldy is not a “must” sign. But if they do not sign him, the retooling challenge next season will become much greater. Keeping him is clearly preferable, IMO, but it would not be the end of the world if he walks.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I agree with the main point, which is Goldy is not a “must” sign. But if they do not sign him, the retooling challenge next season will become much greater. Keeping him is clearly preferable, IMO, but it would not be the end of the world if he walks.

Because the Dewitt’s can still field a competitive team with several options. Ozuna would be a FA and if he has a good season possibly a QO if they so choose to accept it. If that isn’t in our best interests you still have club options on Carpenter and Gyorko with Martinez in the fold.

Plus you can never count out Donaldson if he has a productive season in ATL. lol

1982 willie
    Participant

I don’t think goldy will sign a contract that’s mostly favorable to the cardinals. he knows how consistent and durable hes been. to me the only way the cardinals are gonna get him to sign early is to give him either a lot of money over shorter years say three or four or a longer contract that is till got a lot of money spread out along with incentives. but you never know.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There was a train of thought that if Goldy doesn’t comeback in 2020 the Cards could pivot by putting Carp back at 1B and go after Arenado. Well that option is now off of the table and I don’t really think it was much of an option anyway considering the big teams we would have had to outbid for Arenado.

I may be going with my gut here but I try to read between the lines with DeWitt. He is usually very coy with his comments but he has been downright blunt about the intent to resign Goldy. There is no doubt in my mind that this is now objective number 1 for the front office. The Cardinals can be overly frugal when going after players outside of the organization but I get the feeling they are ready to sign a big check to keep Goldy. They know how important it is.

BTW, comparing the Goldy and Pujols situations is a little different because I don’t think anyone expects Goldy to be asking for a 10 year deal. 5-6 years would be the max.

Goldy may think that with Arenado off the board he will now be the number one free agent next year and will have tons of suitors. That may be true but on the flip side does he really want to put himself and his family through the gauntlet that free agency has become?

NJ315
    Participant

The comparison between Goldy and Pujols holds up to a point. How much are they willing to pay Goldy as he ages. As far as Goldy goes he may want to take the gamble to test FA thinking he may get more years from a foolish or desperate owner. If the Cards want to lock him up now they might have to overpay. As far as his family maybe they think he owes himself to get the longest best possible deal and the process might be worth it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reggie Jackson likes Paul Goldschmidt – a lot. He mentioned it during the YES telecast, but went deeper with the P-D’s Ben Fred.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ben-frederickson/steal-of-the-century-reggie-jackson-can-t-say-enough/article_b1f8b3b2-3c52-5622-bd10-325c2a83f987.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

The commentators talked through so much of the game going on, ignoring it even to give players names. This is a pet peeve of mine… they really pushed me to my limit. Jackson still like to talk about himself, a modest guy he is. Phooey to the commentaries, we tuned in to watch the game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That bothered me, too. The Yankees broadcasters did not even try to keep the viewers updated on the game. I tried separate audio, but it was too offset from the picture to make it work.

Viewing 25 posts - 376 through 400 (of 469 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.