Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Ozuna will have a monster 2019, and be one of the bigger catches in the free agent market next winter.

I doubt he will be back in St. Louis next year, as we will go with O’Neill and younger, cheaper options. But it is looking like everything will come together this season for one of those “lightning in a bottle” years.

This club looks a little like the 2004 version to me, with possible all-stars at several positions. It is not beyobnd the realm of possibility for this team to replicate the 1963 team, and the Cubs of a couple of years ago and have the starting infield in the all-star game.

Whether they can play like that 2004 club, or even the ‘63 squad who won 93 games, will depend on the pitching, and of course health.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

At least it’s movement forward, but he has to be “ready” to outperform four other guys in order to not be ILed this time.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am going to assume the staff would prefer that Ozuna learn to communicate with them directly instead of through social media.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How did Ozuna look in left field yesterday?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free
    14NyquisT
    Participant

This article pretty much sums up my opinion so far.

https://www.birdsontheblack.com/blog/the-cardinal-sin-ozuna-to-use-bullpen-cart-to-get-his-butt-in-lf

The PD has become the home of the homers and the organization’s own media lacky listing. False news??

Please no comments on the sources… they are both opinions. IMO one seems slanted and the other not so much.

14NyquisT
    Participant

https://redbirdrants.com/2019/04/03/st-louis-cardinals-mockery-mozeliak/

I like to read different viewpoints and many are saying the same thing. IMO this piece is way short. There is so much more that could prove that the title is valid. How is that Mozeliak score card looking these days.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

These guys are not sportswriters, and their websites are just places to deposit their thoughts and emotions. Any one of the posters here could figure out how to build a website and put stuff like that on it.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Birds on the Black Cardinals Sin is more of a satire article than anything else.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A new problem. More than just scratching him from Wednesday’s lineup.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Concern about intercostal injury, per Shildt. Unsure when it happened.

Wonder if this could be a repetitive motion injury due to frequently compensating for the bum shoulder?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would never wish for someone to get hurt bad but this could turn out to be a blessing for the team. JMart or O’Neill should be starting in LF anyway. The other should be starting in RF. Fowler is injury prone too so maybe it will work out that way.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I felt like a bad fan for thinking it, but I agree with you, gscottar. It may well get the best 9 on the field.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am less sure Ozuna should be written off yet, based on six games. Putting the ribcage injury aside, as he definitely needs time to clear that up, is his shoulder worse than last season, when he hit 23 homers and drove in 88?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I don’t think it is. But I’d also add that I’m high on O’Neill and think he could easily provide more value than Ozuna, and Jmart is at least as good, if not a better hitter than Ozuna. If healthy, Marcell is quite good but it’s beginning to look like he never will be while he’s wearing the birds on the bat.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Aren’t Ozuna and Fowler the guys that went off on their own to get special conditioning in the off-season? We should give them at least a couple more weeks to see how that went. A continuance of their poor play both offensively and defensively that may cost games early on isn’t being prudent. Relying on them to gain enough ground to reach mediocrity is not a good plan (see FO). Especially when we have two better outfielders staring us in the eyes. Wake up Mozeliak, take your medicine… you screwed up. If we can just get by Mo’s egotism there may be a division crown out there for us.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This seems very straight forward to me. Ozuna is in the prime of his career. If he is healthy, he is among the best players on the team – without a doubt.

Yet, he started slowly last year, too. 30 games into the 2018 season, he had two homers and a .243 average. Fortunately, the team is not as quick on the trigger finger as anxious fans, as he went on to lead the Cards in RBI, and had a good, but not great year.

He currently has a rib injury on top of a shoulder problem that may be chronic. Get his ribs healed and go from there. All this talk about egos and screwing up is noise, IMO. The guy is injured. Get him right.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

PRoblem is the guy has been injured since the morons in the FRONT office traded for him and he still isn’t right, you can tell that everytime he throws the dang ball…and as for leading the Cards in RBI, whooopie it was a whole 88 and that has more to do with luck of guys being on base in front of you more than anything

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mud…. the stories I made reference to are the opinions of people that follow the Cards closely and they are die-hard fans just like you and me. I read most of your comments and respect your opinions. People here quote those that opine on this site and follow it up with their own views. Pieces from outside TCN offer up different viewpoints. Take them for what you think they are worth. I glean info from anything that’s Cardinals. Seeing similar takes on our team draws should draw some understanding of what is going on.

From reading “experts” you find that some have their own agenda and aren’t really mavens at all. Nothing is written in stone in this game. At least here we get honest thoughts from informed fans.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, out of curiosity, what do you think the ceiling looks like for either O’Neill or Martinez this year? (To clarify, I mean the ceiling in terms of what they could do with a full season of playing time, not as in what is the pie in the sky best case scenario)

While it may be a straightforward decision for the team (they have a lot invested in Ozuna and only one more year in all likelihood to get a return), it doesn’t seem that far fetched that one or both of those guys could be more valuable than a 75% Ozuna…does it?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ozuna may be well healed for ’20 after another off-season of his own treatments. As for right now he doesn’t appear to be ready to play. Neither him or Fowler have helped us win October play. Actually, au contraire. Because Mozeliak gave them loads of money doesn’t make them star players. If only some folks here and Mozeliak realized that we can move on with a better team.

Without a doubt he isn’t producing as one of the best players on this team. He isn’t able to play better than the options we have available. The proof is in the pudding.

It seems straight forward to me that Fowler’s prime was with the ’16 Cubs and Ozuna’s was with the ’17 Marlins. As for their time in St. Louis…. far less than even mediocre. Does anyone have a shred of confidence when they enter the batter’s box? These gd games count NOW.

We’ll see if Mozeliak survives if ’19 goes bust along with his vetting of “superstars”. He can’t even get bargain basement value for Cecil, Gregerson, Fowler or Ozuna. That is the exact opposite of a sound business strategy.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’m still peeved off that we traded for an injured player. Not only that but he clearly showed up to camp overweight and not ready to go. The jury is still out but when its all said and done the Cardinals very well might end up losing this trade.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC- it could well be a misfire for the Cards.Ozuna did do something last season production wise.So far Alcantara,Gallen and Sierra have done nada for the Marlins.Key word is SO FAR.I expect Gallen and Alcantara to eventually be useful to Miami.I think Sierra will end up being a guy who rides the Triple Express back and forth to Miami and never proves more than a 5th OF type.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With 20/20 hindsight I would rather have Yelich but the main reason that none of us are major league managers or general managers is that after 6 games some of us would have released or traded most of the top of the lineup and most of our starting pitchers.

Clearly Ozuna and Fowler need to get going. If not you may see O’Niell getting some of their playing time.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.