Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

This topic contains 129 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Ny and I suspect the feelings are mutual. The FO probably can’t wait to offer him the QO next winter and send him on his way.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey this is good news! I hope it is true.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Think for a second, what else do you expect him to say?

gsc…. sounds like you are not convinced. I feel the same way. Mozeliak is not known for his transparency and well, his credibility is synonymous with “fake news”.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

C’mon folks. Step back and think about this. It all began with Mozeliak expressing concern. So he could easily have continued that theme. Instead, the news is good, but some still try to spin it to be negative. My goodness.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mozeliak, at times (many), sounds like a politician. Or am I mistaken?

Isn’t he the one that told us how Ozuna was going to be the feared cleanup hitter with that gold glove status? And at the time knew of his shoulder woes? He didn’t get Stanton so he got us Ozuna.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I trust Girsch a lot more than I do Mozeliak but it doesn’t really matter. We will all be able to see for ourselves in a few weeks.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If he was trying to snow the public, he would not have said anything about his worries with Ozuna’s shoulder in the first place. But he did. And if he was still worried after the visit, he would almost certainly say so, keeping the pressure on Ozuna, not himself.

On the bigger picture, Ozuna’s shoulder was obviously a bigger problem than anyone expected. I highly doubt anyone wanted that, but sometimes things happen. In today’s world, the mob mentality leads to finding someone to take the blame. Mo made the trade, so it is his fault that Ozuna had a good, but not great season. I know he will not get any credit if Ozuna rebounds, because that is the way it works.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Poor Mo everyone keeps picking on him.

The day we advance farther than the Cubs I will get off of his back. It hasn’t happened since 2014.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

The guy had shoulder surgery and wont start throwing until almost the opening of Spring training. What could go wrong?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

He had shoulder surgery very late for reasons that remain unclear. When all is said and done, there is only so much any team can do concerning how a player manages his body.

NJ315
    Participant

Free

2019 great season all good. If less than great then all this will be come back. I am rooting for a great season for him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he would not have said anything about his worries with Ozuna’s shoulder in the first place

The main issue Mo had with Ozuna was that he went off on his own. The FO thought it would have been more prudent to work with the Card’s medical staff, and continue rehabbing under a watchful eye. He was brought here with shoulder issues that were compounded to the point where it was noticeable to ALL. How would Mozeliak spin this if Ozuna’s arm isn’t close to 100%…. and when.

if he was still worried after the visit, he would almost certainly say so

Really? With his history dealing with the truth?

Ozuna’s shoulder was obviously a bigger problem than anyone expected

If Ozuna’s arm problems persist, what is the FO’s plan B? (we also have that special second chance situation in RF, should he not hold up… is there a plan C?). Moreover, the sophomore has bit the Cards in the recent past… is there a reasonable plan D for that? How can fans, clamoring for a WS run in ’19, feel confident with what the FO plans on running out to the OF. You’d have to be the most loyal fan to believe that all three issues turn out with very positive results.

so it is his fault that Ozuna had a good, but not great season.

This is the point. Along with our designated RFer and Cecil etc, etc, etc, where does responsibility kick in? Mozeliak ducks it and compounds the problem by forcing his mistakes on the team. Ring a bell?

but sometimes things happen

Shrugging shoulder, arms down and hands out…. this has become Mozeliak’s catch phrase along with “what, who me?”

I regret having these issues with our esteemed leader.

but sometimes things happen.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton

On the bigger picture, Ozuna’s shoulder was obviously a bigger problem than anyone expected. I highly doubt anyone wanted that, but sometimes things happen.

This is what I don’t get. Body parts are like car parts. If you blow a tire on your car, you have to get it fixed. If you experience shoulder issues, getting it fixed via surgery is the last thing you want to do. As a position player, you would postpone it even moreso. Perhaps Ozuna was instructed to do rest, rehab. You just never know how someone is going to bounce back.

But everyone is all about saying Mozeliak dealt for ‘damaged goods’ yadda yadda.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NYQUIST

This is the point. Along with our designated RFer and Cecil etc, etc, etc, where does responsibility kick in? Mozeliak ducks it and compounds the problem by forcing his mistakes on the team. Ring a bell?

Probably when the credit he should get from you for the good signings/trades kicks in. Craig/Lackey, Oh, Norris, Holliday, Mikolas ring a bell?

Also, in what would is Fowler our designated RFer? If he struggles out of the gate, O’Neill and Martinez will be right there to pick up the slack. Mozeliak isn’t forcing mistakes onto the team. Fowler, Cecil, and Gregerson could very well recover. We are already paying them so what’s the harm in seeing what they got heading into spring training?

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

He had shoulder surgery very late for reasons that remain unclear.

iirc his doctor was tied up with a playoff team.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we should blame the situation on Boras…aka the great satan…Everything else is his fault

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rick Hummel:

“It was a very positive meeting,” Mozeliak said Wednesday. “He’s been swinging the bat for two weeks. I don’t think he’s quite letting it go, but it looks like there aren’t going to be any real limitations or concerns from an offensive standpoint. He plans on beginning his throwing program when he reports to Jupiter (Fla.) in February.

“The question is, what does that mean early in spring training games? He just needs to build up his arm strength. But I see no reason for him not to be ready by opening day (March 28).”

With Ozuna in his native Dominican Republic and not in Florida at the Cardinals’ spring training site, there was an information shortage as to how he was rehabbing his shoulder, on which he had an offseason surgical procedure.

Its starting to sound like Rasmus II.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You mean Ozuna’s dad is here on this board, ragging on Shildt for how his son is being treated? Hmmmm. That raises some intriguing possibilities… 😉

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I ran across this looking for something else. In mid-October, Mo thought Ozuna would just be rehabbing his shoulder this winter.

Currently, there are no medical procedures on the docket for any Cardinals player. That could change.

Marcell Ozuna is scheduled to meet with Dr. Neal ElAttrache the end of this month.

“Pending on how that appointment goes, may dictate something else. I don’t want to speculate on what that something else might be,” Mozeliak said. “Most people feel this is more of a physical therapy off-season for him.”

https://stlbaseballweekly.com/mozeliak-details-new-accountability/

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a lot of B.S. See what spring training brings.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It has been a very odd winter for Ozuna to be sure. Yesterday, Goold wrote about the numbness he felt last season and how he is now being re-taught how to throw.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/two-of-the-cardinals-most-intriguing-arms-don-t-belong/article_f130ad44-a940-5249-a669-4cbfebe54e3f.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mozeliak:
    “But I do think when we acquired Ozuna, we knew we were getting him off a career year, right. So was there going to be some level of regression to the mean? I think the answer was probably. Now when you look at him entering this next year, you’re hoping you might see a bounce towards the other way. But I think he’s an effective player. He’s a very, very good hitter. Defensively, he did create a level of a liability for us because of his inability to throw and I think it’s really incumbent upon him to spend this off-season being diligent about putting his shoulder in a position where it can be strengthened.
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    Is it a good idea to obtain players that he feels will regress? Players with known ailments?

Haven’t we had enough of this in the past? Why is St. Louis the place where players come to and then “regress”. Its a long list of “regressors” that Mozeliak has been able to accumulate. And fans wonder why no October games. Point upstairs.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Goold’s chat today:

Marcell Ozuna being here 11 days before he’s required — that’s different. That’s also something that the Cardinals said they wanted to have happen and that Ozuna had resisted, until he showed up.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-chat-derrick-goold-live-from-spring-training-at-p/article_51210080-d3c6-5604-b4ae-d3e25d8c720c.html

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years