Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

This topic contains 129 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Free

Like I said I am not saying the players are blameless just saying that their salaries are not the only thing rising the cost of tickets. Why are the prices going up if the revenues are up and players salaries down?

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Avatar NJ315.
    mspaid
    Participant

Brian:

Junior keeps track of every possibility before any deal is made. He knew that Stanton was almost certainly NOT coming to St. Louis. He made the deal and Stanton refused. “Well, we tried.” And, if Stanton had come to St. Louis Junior knew he would opt out after three years so the Cardinals would not have been on the hook for the entire amount. No Junior was safe form a long-term expensive deal. But, if he is willing as some suggest then let’s see him do it. Sign Harper or Machado. If they have the money that they say they do then g for it. But STOP telling me how rich you are and how much money you have to spend and how dry your powder is if you are not going to do anything.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please, nate. Even this one is off the deep end for you. You actually believe the Cards went to all the trouble (and the eventual embarrassment) to make the trade for Stanton simply for window dressing, knowing he would decline. That is some crazy talk…

You wrote this, and I noted its inaccuracy:

“There is no way Junior will EVER enter into a ten year agreement for 300 million…not EVER going to happen in this Universe or any other.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not be surprised if Boras whispered in his client’s ear. Last thing he needs is a free agent in the fall with a Machado reputation. Whatever reason, it is good Ozuna is moving ahead in his rehab.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Justin Striebel
    ‏@jstriebel22
    36m36 minutes ago
    More

The chance of everything going wrong is slim, but if Ozuna’s health and readiness is a question mark, Fowler’s ability to rebound is a question mark, and Harrison Bader is a sophomore. Man, I hope the Cardinals are great this year, but if they struggle, they deserve it.

“They meaning who”. They is our FO, that’s who.

STL fans are concerned… obviously the FO is going with the Pollyanna approach.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Or some fans taking the Chicken Little approach. Today’s Ozuna news is better, so it is the perfect time to panic. As almost always, reality will fall somewhere in between the extremes.

Jose Martinez can hit. So can O’Neill. When Lane Thomas gets a chance, I think he could surprise a lot of folks, and that does not even include Adolis. Most teams do not have #4 through #6 outfielders this good.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jeff Jones
    ‏@jmjones
    More Jeff Jones Retweeted Benjamin Hochman

By far – by a lot – the biggest piece of news out of Winter Warm-Up is the nervousness around Marcell Ozuna. And frankly, it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that his Instagram is suddenly inundated with videos of him working out and swinging a bat.

Mo’s nervousness is about the TRIFECTA of his mistakes… Fowler, Cecil and Ozuna. There are others but he got rid of those with smaller salaries and he’s still praying that these players with the gigantic salaries (that he dished out) will somehow turn it around in ’19. Not looking good for his nerves. Tremors will be next.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ozuna batted .280 with 23 homers and 88 RBI essentially hitting with one arm. Lumping him with Fowler and Cecil is invalid, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our starting OF just may become the #4 thru #6 that you mentioned.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna’s #s weren’t bad but they weren’t what the Cards were paying for, same with Fowler and Cecil. Let’s not forget that Mozeliak traded for Ozuna knowing that he had a bum wing. He certainly wasn’t that #4 middle of the lineup hitter that was supposed to make us forget that we didn’t get Stanton. The ol’ bait and switch.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT wrote:

Our starting OF just may become the #4 thru #6 that you mentioned.

Even the original Twitterer you quoted admitted that chance is “slim”. So, why always focus on the minority negative view as if that is the high odds possibility?

P.S. For reference, last season, Ozuna delivered 2.7 fWAR for $9 million. Harper came in at 3.5 fWAR at $21.625 MM.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He is not fooling too many…. Mo is using the graduation as an excuse to check up on Ozuna. These two are concerned that Ozuna went off on his own, but feel every thing will be just great??? The tail continues to wag the dog…. and our pitiful Pollyannas are just now concerned!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ben Fredrickson- PD:

“Anxious” was the word picked by Cardinals general manager Michael Girsch, and that’s probably the best fit. No one is freaking out. And president of baseball operations John Mozeliak is headed soon to meet with Ozuna during an unrelated trip to the Dominican Republic for a graduation ceremony at the Cardinals’ baseball academy there. But some of these quotes are telling.

Girsch: “I’m not sure we’re quite to the concern level, but anytime someone has offseason surgery sort of offsite, and our guys don’t have their hands on him, we’re sort of anxious to see when they come back where they are.”

Mozeliak: “I think he’ll be ready to go in spring. I’m not overly concerned. He’s going to spend the remainder of his offseason in the Dominican Republic, which is not ideal in terms of our medical staff being able to get a firm grasp of where he’s at. But, I’m going to pop down to the D.R. a week from (Saturday) and so, hopefully, I can get a sense of where he’s at. But candidly, with three weeks remaining before we go there (to Jupiter), there’s not a lot you can do. He has promised me that he will be ready, so I guess I’ll have to take him at his word.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From Goold’s chat this past Monday. As of today my guess for Ozuna’s chances of being here in 2020 is less than 5%.

Jan 21 2019 1:22 PM
    It looks like there is some frustration with Ozuna’s off season by the front office?
    Streak

Jan 21 2019 1:23 PM
    They insist there isn’t. What there is — there’s an unknown. And that has the team uncertain. To me, uncertain might be a synonym for frustration. They wanted him to keep his rehab closer to Jupiter. He didn’t. Now they want him to report to spring training a few weeks early so that he can get work with some trainers. We’ll see if he does. On the plus side: He did recently shoot an ad for Pepsi.
    Derrick Goold

Jan 21 2019 1:45 PM
    The Cards expressed to Ozuna that they wanted him to prep and recover in FL. HE choose to stay home. How much do decisions like this impact the Cards interest in him beyond 2019 (assuming he has a year good enough to warrent interest)?
    Cat

Jan 21 2019 1:45 PM
    Plenty.
    Derrick Goold

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Looked at the Instagram pics/videos of Ozuna and he is not getting any smaller. It varies from player to player how well body mass helps or hurts performance, but I think it’s good that Ozuna is dealing with shoulder issues instead of knee issues given his size.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

The Cards wont care where he rehabed. If he has a good season they will try to sign him. If he has a bad season they wont.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well put, CC. All will quickly be forgotten if healthy and productive. Ozuna has tens of millions of reasons to be motivated to have a good season.

mspaid
    Participant

No. Ozuna and the Cardinals officially broke when Mo called Ozuna out for not taking his rehab seriously. Ozuna reciprocated by refusing to rehab in Jupiter. Ozuna is gone after 2019.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna first hurt his shoulder in February of 2017:

Ozuna was already dealing with the tightness when he reported to camp, but the Marlins are saying that it’s mild. He was spotted making throws from the outfield during drills Friday. Still, he’ll be eased into Grapefruit League action for precautionary reasons. Ozuna batted .266/.321/.452 with 23 homers and 76 RBI for the Marlins last year.

Source: Tim Healey on Twitter / Fri, Feb 24, 2017 10:27 AM

—————————

Then he went on to hit 37 HRs. Just today Mozeliak said that Ozuna threw and took BP at the Dominican facility.

—————————

Marcell Ozuna (shoulder) took batting practice and played catch at the Cardinals’ complex in the Dominican Republic on Thursday. It was a “positive first step” for the outfielder, according to president of baseball operations John Mozeliak, who will meet with Ozuna in the Dominican Republic on Monday.

Source: Mark Saxon on Twitter / Fri, Jan 25, 2019 – 1:00 PM

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This take from Bernie made me laugh.

TRENDING DOWN

Cardinals left fielder Marcell Ozuna.

Here’s how to damage your market value heading into your preparation for a free-agency cash-in opportunity following the 2019 season:

1) Unexpectedly report to spring training with a sore shoulder in 2o18 after the Cardinals trade four prospects to Miami to acquire your talents; that’s always a swell way to make a fantastic first impression.

2) Fall behind in your preparation for the 2018 season by being unable to throw well — if at all –in spring training. Excellent strategy.

3) Have the inflamed shoulder sap a high percentage of your power virtually all season. Good way to make that free-agent case. Continue to make awkward, weak throws from left field … potential free-agent bidders will be enormously impressed.

4) Oversleep, don’t show up in time for a day game. Stuff like this is exactly This why GMs of other teams can’t wait to have their chance to make a big offer.

5) Have a surgical cleanup procedure after the season … but not until a month after the Cards’ final game. Hey, there’s nothing like demonstrating great urgency to get other teams fired up about paying you massive free-agent dollars.

6) Do your rehab in the Dominican Republic instead of working — at least some of the time — with the Cardinals’ training-medical staff in Jupiter. Don’t stay in touch with John Mozeliak, the team president of baseball operations, who has no idea … in late January… if you’ll be ready to throw, hit, and perform at maximum level in spring training and at the start of the regular season. That’s got to be worth an extra $25 million in your free-agent deal.

7) When Mozeliak expresses concern over your condition, and lets it be known that he’ll be stopping by while in the D.R. to check on you, there’s only one way to react: go to social media and troll your boss on Instagram by belittling his justifiable anxiety.

Yep. The PERFECT way to score the largest possible contract offers next offseason.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like something off of Cardstalk. Man, he’s quite the conspiracy theorist.

This one’s great:

5) Have a surgical cleanup procedure after the season … but not until a month after the Cards’ final game. Hey, there’s nothing like demonstrating great urgency to get other teams fired up about paying you massive free-agent dollars.

I wonder how he feels about Molina’s December surgery?

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

6) Do your rehab in the Dominican Republic instead of working — at least some of the time — with the Cardinals’ training-medical staff in Jupiter. Don’t stay in touch with John Mozeliak, the team president of baseball operations, who has no idea … in late January… if you’ll be ready to throw, hit, and perform at maximum level in spring training and at the start of the regular season. That’s got to be worth an extra $25 million in your free-agent deal.

This one too is great. As if Ozuna’s using some third-rate training staff. No offense to the Cardinals, but if I’m an athlete, not amateur-status, I’m going to my own medical staff. I wouldn’t want them to have access to my medical info either. After the Astros did that to Brady Aiken, I am skeptical as what’s in the Cardinals’ best interest is not always what’s in the players’ best interest.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems that either Boras is losing his touch or he just doesn’t give a hoot about Marcell’s future. What kind of agent doesn’t kick his client’s A for acting this way?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This one too is great. As if Ozuna’s using some third-rate training staff. No offense to the Cardinals, but if I’m an athlete, not amateur-status, I’m going to my own medical staff. I wouldn’t want them to have access to my medical info either. After the Astros did that to Brady Aiken, I am skeptical as what’s in the Cardinals’ best interest is not always what’s in the players’ best interest.

That’s a false equivalency if I’ve seen one.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the post gsc. I’ve read the many concerns that have management has regarding Ozuna’s woes. It wouldn’t be prudent to have two outfielders starting just to play themselves into shape. We certainly don’t know what Mozeliak is truly thinking about all of this.

I believe that Ozuna can’t wait to get out of STL. At least IMO, there are indications of that.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years