Ozuna shoulder irritation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Ozuna shoulder irritation

This topic contains 129 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This warrants its own thread, IMO. Those who believe it is nothing can pass this discussion over. While you are at it, you can also assert that Carpenter’s shoulder is just fine, too. 😉

From Bernie Miklasz:

…the worst thing about Ozuna in the opening series? Discovering, through Cardinals TV broadcaster Dan McLaughlin, that Ozuna’s right shoulder is bothering him — not as a hitter but when he throws the baseball from left field. And even more puzzling (concerning? somewhat alarming?) was this disclosure: the shoulder irritation has been there since late last summer when Ozuna was finishing his final season in Miami … hope this is minor and will not worsen…

Bernie Bits: One Series In, a Bunch of Scribbled Notes on My Cardinals Scorecard

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Having said this, he did have to pass a physical before the trade. Further, this weekend I did not see any evidence of Ozuna with ice packs or heating pads or whatever on his shoulder – and I was looking for hints. Still, I imagine he is getting whatever kind of treatment as they deem necessary.

Maybe it will be nothing and maybe it will not.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think it is something, i just dont think they trade for him to throw guys out at the plate…and as long as it doesn’t affect his hitting i dont think anything will be done…not to say much can be done

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That sleeve on his right arm is quite compelling – there is obviously an issue with the arm. Time will tell if it impacts his offense, especially in the power department.

As for defense, when runners are on base you let Pham take anything he can get to on the left side.

Cardinals2016

Free

He started wearing a sleeve in 2016 (a la Stanton).

Again, I believe everybody is just being diplomatic about Pham making a bad play and cutting off his teammate.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Maybe part of the explanation for why Ozuna got put in LF while Fowler and his (theoretically) weaker arm was put in RF?

Cardinals2016

Free

Ozuna won a gold glove in LF and Fowler told the Cardinals he wanted to play right if he got moved off of center.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jen Langosch quantifies the worsening problem with Ozuna’s shoulder.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/marcell-ozuna-battles-nagging-shoulder-injury/c-288871618

Cardinals2016

Free

Well, the Cardinals were aware of the problem, had Statcast information available to them, and they traded for him anyway. That’s an indictment of the front office.

They missed out on Stanton, felt compelled to get Ozuna (because they lacked a power bat) and are paying the consequences.

Sounds like the only solution is shoulder surgery, but that would mean Ozuna missing next year, in which case the trade is a total disaster.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me this has been the most under-reproted and least talked about issue of the year. Yes it was mentioned on here back here in April, but as you can see, there have been few posts since then. The Post Dispatch have had very few articles, if any, about it. Finally Jen Langosch put a story out. I’m really surprised teams haven’t tried to run on Ozuna earlier. Anyone could see early on that he couldn’t throw.

I’m concerned this won’t be remedied without surgery and we only have one more year of control so that is a problem.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

They had 3 months to put him on a shoulder strengthing program last off season. Either they igmored the problem or they tried to fix it and it didn’t work.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

So John “Bowtie” Mozeliak knew Ozuna had a bum shoulder/arm and still traded for him instead of Yelich? At this point you have to question the competence of Johhny Mo. I am starting to get the horses going for the #MoNeedsToGo bandwagon.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

So John “Bowtie” Mozeliak knew Ozuna had a bum shoulder/arm and still traded for him instead of Yelich? At this point you have to question the competence of Johhny Mo. I am starting to get the horses going for the #MoNeedsToGo bandwagon.

Well, if you were ok with giving up either Flaherty or Reyes, plus Kelly, O’Neill and Hudson/Hicks…then I suppose it’s ok to fault Mo for giving up no one to get Ozuna.

As is, there’s no way I would give up 3 of our top 5 prospects and a top 10-15 guy for Yelich.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Then again if he needs surgery and is out all next year we basically got one average year out of him and are down an OF’er for next year and still in need of a power bat, so then Mo failed on two fronts…

And how long before Ozuna is a FA anyway, it can only be like another season or so…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, Marcell will probably end up being near 100% again just as his stint with St. Louis winds down. But there is just too many other positive things going on with the club right now to get drug on down with the trials and tribulations of Marcell Ozuna Idelfonso.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Could end up being a bit like Andres Galarraga’s short stop in St. Louis between successes in Montreal and Colorado.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Good for him then but not sure if/how that would help us really…sadly…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

To me this has been the most under-reproted and least talked about issue of the year. Yes it was mentioned on here back here in April, but as you can see, there have been few posts since then. The Post Dispatch have had very few articles, if any, about it. Finally Jen Langosch put a story out. I’m really surprised teams haven’t tried to run on Ozuna earlier. Anyone could see early on that he couldn’t throw.

I’m concerned this won’t be remedied without surgery and we only have one more year of control so that is a problem.

I brought this up a couple weeks ago. When he was back slumping again I said that we should seriously think about shelving him and get whatever procedure that needed to be done and get him ready for 2019. That was when we had Pham. Now the team has turned a bit of a corner. I think we’re stuck playing him unless you want to just throw Martinez more into the OF mix.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he would have surgery to fix the shoulder now, it would have been nice to still have Mercado.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This has been mentioned on our site a few times, but why have the Cards not looked into a medical/surgery option? They have made it sound like he would heal during the season, and be normal at some time. This hasn’t happened. I think the FO has not done du diligence with players like Ozuna, Cecil. and Gregerson. What happened during their physicals?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I begin to wonder how long Mo and Girsch continue to bungle things. although this is more about denial. We have lost games due to outfield defense. To the opposition there is no thought of not taking an extra base.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

We’ve lost a lot of games to defense as a whole, offensive consistency, bad base running and poor bullpen options and terrible managing.

The team has played a little better since the break. I’m going to hold my judgement until after the Dodgers series.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bullpen is better, and Fowler will not play for a while. I am sorry he had to get hurt, but this is the best team we can field without Fowler and Cecil. Not sure about Shreke. he hasn’t been that impressive yet. I would have rather have tried Layne.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Well, if you were ok with giving up either Flaherty or Reyes, plus Kelly, O’Neill and Hudson/Hicks…then I suppose it’s ok to fault Mo for giving up no one to get Ozuna.

That would be a bit much, but it’s also a huge exaggeration compared to what the Brewers actually gave up. The bigger point though, it was not a simple Yelich versus Ozuna decision. The sequencing the Marlins dictated went Stanton first, then Ozuna, while saying Yelich was not going to be moved….until they said he was. I guess Mo didn’t want to take the risk of missing out on all of them by passing on Ozuna and hoping Yelich would become available.

And another point is Yelich’s contract was/is definitely worth a lot more than Ozuna’s. Gotta to give more to get more. We’re over-trained to covet prospects as opposed to using them to obtain proven, current MLB star power.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well stated Euro. Everything you mention there is 100% spot on.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years