Name 4 sleeper propects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Name 4 sleeper propects

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1) C- Julio Rodriguez, all he done so far has hit and field very well despite being younger than league average.
    2) 1B- Luis Bandes, has the power that the Cardinals system craves.
    3) P- Poncedeleon, might make team as reliever.
    4) P- Herget, I can’t forget his 18 strikeout performance at Memphis. Was that a fluke?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ivan Herrera, Leandro Cedeno, Ramon Santos, Jesus Cruz.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Sleepers for us or sleepers nationally?

bccran
    Participant

Don’t know how you really define “sleeper”, but how about –

Urias
    Ravelo
    Bryant
    Summerville

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sleepers for us. Sort of like Ryan Helsley for me the last few years. Someone who should be ranked significantly higher. Or others who will be in next years rankings.

bccran
    Participant

I’ll go with my above selections.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wanted to write this post 2 hours ago. But while reading he names of the sleepers, I got so bored, I fell asleep. I guess I’d better find out who these players are.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Part of me wanted to do this… Not wrongly lol…

1. Sam tewes
    2. Sam tewes
    3. Sam tewes
    4. Sam tewes

…but I decided to put a few more names down… Just because…

1. Sam tewes
    2. Juan yepez
    3. Matt pearce
    4. J a garcia

Yeah… I went with guys a bit higher in the system. I know those guys better.

Reasoning with all these guys? They’re so far down the list in most cases people dont understand how good they are.

Tewes could pull a flaherty this year. Easily. Will he? Who knows. But he has that kind of talent and tj surgery should be behind him.

Yepez got shoved down the list imo because people were disappointed in the trade. He put up a .700 ops in peoria (league average/slightly above) at 19. Very underrated in low 40s imo. Peoria is NOT fun to hit in.

Pearce is a lot like gomber. He has a good arm and gets people out. Struggled at aaa but is still age apprpriate.

…and garcia. Only in our system could a guy with that arm and those stats be the fifth or sixth best outfield prospect. He is in the top twenty but it just feels way too low… Typical sleeper.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Juan Yepez

It’s the only name you need to know.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I think Eric Carter can be a solid bullpen piece like Kyle Barraclough has been. Cards traded Barraclough to Marlins for Chishek back in 2015.

Chalk it up to a long list of relief pitchers the Cards acquire during the season and fail to retain them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reference brianpnoonan, on our list, Adolis is the third outfielder, after Bader and O’Neill, ranked #12 overall in the system. He is the fifth OF on Keith Law’s list, still ranked #14.

I addressed this in my rankings this way. Though I put Adolis lower than Bader and O’Neill in today’s rankings, I assessed him to have a higher ceiling, but with more yet to do to achieve it. This will be a big season for Garcia, his second in the US.

Garcia 7 medium
    O’Neill 6 medium
    Bader 5.5 low

14NyquisT
    Participant

A lot of talent already mentioned. Since I already have Cedeno#36, Kruczynski#45, Bandes#48 and Summerville#50 on my top-50 list, I’ll go with:… (*YGonzales(another good season will move him upward),… *Prendergast(consistantly good in 6 late July/Aug. starts (2.20ERA-0.98WHIP-6BB 34K/33IP-.217BA). ….*Lane Thomas,(if he’s healthy, he’ll get a lot of playing time in ’18 to see what he’s got)… and a real snoozer, *Jackson(should show more of his potential in ’18, or else).

How about adding a “comeback player”. There’s a fairly good number of candidates.

I’ll take *JeMartinez, I’m still high on him after those rough days at Palm Beach. He finished the season with a big boost.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now, THAT is a surprise…. 😉

14NyquisT
    Participant

The BIG surprise would be you selecting him!

I have a damn good idea who you will pick. ;o

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Aside from Brady Whalen, I’ll say Conner Greene remerges as a prospect. Also expecting big things from future relievers Junior Fernandez and Derian Gonzalez at Double-A, if healthy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT, you should have a good idea who I would pick, since I already listed them earlier in this thread. I am pretty sure you could not have predicted at least two of them as I tried to go far off the beaten path on a couple.

They were four names off the top of my head and without applying the later criteria suggested by C27. Mine are just generic sleepers.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

love this topic

as i am not sure about the scope…i will pick mine for ML spring training

-Jordan Schafer..intriguing set of skills…even if he has just enough to pitch to lefties and go out to the outfield for hitter then come back to the mound for another lefty that would be huge in terms of versatility…it also would allow for the argument for or against the 4manbench/8man bullpen to be sorted on its own
    -AD Garcia (not that he isnt known, just that he isnt in many people’s plans but i think he might break out this spring training)
    -Max Schrock…he gets hits…fans love hits and high averages…he will play because he gets those hits
    -Derian Gonzalez (will light it up…and prove why he got added to the 40man…Perdomo v2?)

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW… how about a comeback player of the year ’18.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Garcia is also behind arozarena and was behind sierra before the trade… Thus the fifth or sixth reference.

He is EXTREMELY talented for that kind of depth.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Comeback of the Year award is a great idea. I am going to add that for 2018. I cannot believe I never thought of that before. I think the 2017 winner would have been Oscar Mercado.

It depends on one’s criteria, but if I start with guys who were once on the top 50, then dropped off with the best chance of getting back on this year, I would say Jeremy Martinez and Dennis Ortega. From a general sense, I hope it will be Daniel Poncedeleon. How can anyone not pull for him?

PadsFS
    Participant

My two big ones are Jeremy Martinez and John Kilichowski.

I really like Delvin Perez and Juan Yepez to shine this year although I don’t think Perez would qualify as a sleeper.

Nobody ever talks about Darren Seferina so he would be my fourth.

If you do a comeback player of the year, can it be two players? One that’s fallen off the prospect list only to re-emerge (like Mercado) like a most-improved award and one that strictly has returned from injuries, like Tewes or Poncedeleon presumably.

It seems the injury returnees always win these awards due to the heart-tugging nature of it, over-shadowing the player that just put in the work in the offseason and produced.

PadsFS
    Participant

The prospects we’ve traded for or picked up would be good sleeper candidates:

3B R. Ascanio (Leake)
    OF JB Woodman (Diaz)
    3B J. Yepez (Adams)
    OF A. Moreno (R5)
    OF J. Selmo (R5)
    SS R. Urias (Mexico)
    SP N. Molina (Mexico)

PadsFS
    Participant

One other name I’d like to add is Vincent Jackson. Jackson, at 6’4, should hit with more power. He plays CF, but didn’t steal hardly at all in 2017 after getting 16 in 23 trys in 2016. He actually had a 117 wRC+ at Peoria this year, but no one seemed to notice.

PadsFS
    Participant

One point on Jeremy Martinez. He went from a .341 BABIP to a .215. His BB% and K% stayed elite. After catching 17 of 37 would-be base-stealers in 2016, he caught 23 of 52 this year. That’s mid-40 percents for two years in a row. I expect big things from him this year.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Andrew Morales RP
    Arturo Reyes RP

I think both guys have very solid seasons at Memphis in the bullpen and both get consideration for 40-man roster because they do so well.Injuries and underperformance by others could lead to getting a shot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.