Mo's view of the off season

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mo's view of the off season

This topic contains 99 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  bccran 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)
  • Author

bccran
    Participant

It goes back to the types of players MM has had in his 6 years. There seems to be a linear relationship between that and the number of wins.

Onyxgem
    Participant

It also goes back to MM’s inability to put consistent lineups out there or even know how or when to pull starters or how to use a bullpen at all

bccran
    Participant

Terrific, analytical, detailed, data laced post, onyx. Thanks very much for your response.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

So you would stick with Piscotty in the #3 hole and Grichuk at #4. Thought he did a good job of utilizing Gyorko in the first half and DeJong and Martinez down the stretch. Not great solutions but what better options?

And I am constantly seeing generalized statements about pitching decisions. At times I would like to see both starters and relievers pulled earlier than Matheny pulls them. I am probably wrong more than I am right. Also I think he uses Bowman too much but Bowman is arguably our best double play guy. One complaint I saw was using a righthanded pitcher against Hayward instead of Sherriff, who at that time was a rookie who had been hammered in recent outings. MM usually uses lefties against good left handed hitters. Not always but as I have often told my engineering friends, the answer to every situation is not math.

I think the new stats are a step toward a better way to evaluate players but they are not perfect and will never totally account for the human factor. I am encouraged with the improvement in defensive measurements.

bccran
    Participant

Wat to many changes in the lineup is right.

Had to change at 3B when Peralta was ineffective.

Had to change at SS when Diaz was ineffective.

Had to plug in a sub when Wong was hurt.

Had to make changes when Piscotty wasn’t himself.

Had to shuffle the pen when
    Broxton, Siegrist, and Oh weren’t
    effective.

Etc.

Yup, way too many changes. Hoping for a lot less in 2018.

This team could use some stability.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Though regardless of who MM has as players he should still be teaching and making sure that they know how to run the bases and don’t keep making the same mistakes that a clueless rookie would make in his first year in their 8th or so like we saw this year…

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Again, BC every team deals with adversity, stop using it as a crutch.

bccran
    Participant

A crutch? For what? For not bashing our manager? All I’ve ever suggested on here is a discussion of both strengths and weaknesses.
    Some simply can’t bring themselves to that because their dislike of all aspects of MM is so strong.

Sure every team has adversity, BH,
    but it’s in degrees. Several years ago a poster compared the actual WAR lost to injury for that season and the Cards ranked #1 in MLB.

This season, 37 1/2% of the starting lineup failed, along with 75% of the back of the bullpen.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

So who deemed them starters? Did the manager tell the GM that the players weren’t good enough? Who chose them for the bullpen? Mo? Over objections from Matheny? Not taking sides, just asking questions that probably none of us know the answer to.

bccran
    Participant

Peralta – didn’t recover from his injury
    Diaz – regressed badly from being an All Star
    Piscotty – regressed badly – sophomore slump, personal issues?
    Broxton – simply went way downhill
    Siegrist – didn’t recover his velocity
    Oh – no one could predict his serious regression
    Rosenthal – how do you predict TJ?

Onyxgem
    Participant

You could say the opposite and you got great numbers from guys they didnt depend on at all, so it works both ways…

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

BC its already been noted than any team in the league could put a list like this together. You must love beating a dead horse because you consistently beat this dead horse.

bccran
    Participant

BH – I denoted in the above post that any team can put a list together, but not all lists are the same. I’m sure you can agree with that. Maybe you should reread that, or read it if you haven’t.

The folks on here who beat a horse who has gone to the happy hunting ground are the MM haters/bashers.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

The same can be said of those who worship Matheny and refuse to acknowledge all of his negatives.

TheLonelyBull
    Participant

Piscotty didn’t have a sophomore slump. The second-half of his 2nd season produced a .767 OPS. He’s been mediocre for better than half of his career so far. This trend didn’t start this season, it started last season.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Which was a big reason why I was against the contract extension on other websites. I thought the FO should have waited to see how he played this year before deciding on the contract extension. Now it looks like an overpay.

bccran
    Participant

I made a comment about Piscotty being too intelligent. That wasn’t tongue in cheek. It’s a theory from inside. He’s an engineering major from Stanford. He’s gotten all tied up analyzing everything about his swing. It’s like a golfer who has read books, taken lessons, and can no longer find the groove because he’s trying to remember and apply too many things at once.

bccran
    Participant

BH –

That’s where you’re totally off base. I have listed what I think are MM’s strengths – and his weaknesses.
    You’re the one who has been closed minded and refused to admit to any strengths.

thejager
    Participant

This is all why the ignore feature would be useful

IMO Stop engaging bcc. No matter how blatant you are they aren’t willing to engage in a way you want.

If you need to keep going then go for it I guess but no matter how obvious and clear your thoughts are presented they will not recognize them in any way other than what they have vilified You as representing. Regardless if it is based in fact or accuracy.

They don’t need to like you or agree with you. Engage with the replies you want and disregard the others. Like I said it is why ignore features were so useful in the last iteration of this board. It made it possible to have an opinion and when you Etre repeatedly attacked or misrepresented you could just not see someone’s posts and as unfortunate as it can be it allowed you to give up on them. Without a feature like that (nor private messaging so I could send this personally) these kinds of terrible and repetitive exchanges are hard to avoid.

Nevertheless I scream into the void and bang my head against the wall on here forums all the time too but I am trying to get better about not reading some posts.

I think this thread should just be closed. It’s obvious the only people really participating have made their opinions clear and are only really here to yell louder. It seems a pointless exercise to keep this going and it is only getting more and more abusive as it keeps going.

Or it can keep going forever as it definitely isn’t going to die without help.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Matheny positive: He is not as remotely bad as Bruce Arena of the USMNT. What a disgrace and embarrassment.

bccran
    Participant

You’re right, Jager. Unwavering negativity by some can be frustrating and a waste of time. It’s like a brick wall. Time to move on and get away from it. Thank you for the advice.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

You could say that Mo handcuffed Matheny by making him coach with the same players year after year, though in that case the players should get better as they go…but they didn’t…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Jager, I am not keeping the ignore function or the PM function away from people on purpose. As I said before, it just isn’t a part of the software as it is installed. However, here is an open offer. When people contact me (via email or the site contact form, not publicly) and ask me for another user’s email information, I will take the time to check with the other person to see if they want to be contacted and make the link if both sides agree. That is the best I can offer right now.

Regarding today’s flareup, it has nothing to do with this thread. If I close this thread, the same people will keep egging others into the same arguments over and over in other threads. Look back into today’s posts here and see where the name-calling began. I bet we are all getting tired of it.

If anyone wants to discuss this further with me, please take it off board and respect those who come here to talk Cardinals baseball. Thank you.

Onyxgem
    Participant

One could say the blind homerism by domes few never thinking the cards could ever do anything wrong is beyond frustrating also.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Yes, everyone is frustrated. Let’s move ahead, please.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.