Molina rest

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The clear answer to the question: “However Molina wants.”

14NyquisT
    Participant

I saw this on another blog:

February 24th:
    The Cardinals prepare to take on the Mets. Carson Kelly looks at the lineup and starts putting on the pads for his 1st Spring Start. Yadier looks at the lineup, slowly turns to Mike Matheny and gives him “The Look.” Mike Matheny has Carson Kelly removed from the stadium by security.

Its meant to be funny…

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT, the funniest line was about the catching gear being posted on EBay…. 🙂

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free
    14NyquisT
    Participant

These comments in the PD CHAT just about tell it all.

COMMENT: Carson Kelly’s stock is very high right now, but we all know Yadi doesn’t like to sit. A prudent play would be to package Kelly in a trade for more pitching, sign a veteran backup catcher that is fine with playing once every 10 days, and letting Knizner develop for 2 more years until Yadi is ready to retire. How can Kelly improve when he plays one game per week?

COMMISH: That may well be what happens down the road. A lot depends on how close the Cardinals think Knizner is, and I’m thinking not very far. I would guess that this is the last year Kelly would be the backup here.

Follow-up: Has ‘Mo’ mishandled Carson Kelly? Two years ago, he was the best catching prospect in baseball. Now, he’s in baseball’s equivalent to the Witness Protection Program — sitting behind Yadi. There’s no way his skills haven’t stagnated. To me, he’s a squandered asset. Prospects should be played or traded.

Commish: If Kelly doesn’t get much time in the first part of the season, he will go to Memphis to play. It won’t be like last year when he sat too much, regardless of how good Molina was.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only thing that is new there is the thought that Kelly could be sent down later in the season to play every day, and that would be a positive, IMO.

The fact is that Knizner is NOT ready yet and the Cards are wisely (IMO again) holding onto Kelly to ensure they have a good catcher ready if 34-year old Molina gets hurt.

The same people whining today about Kelly being wasted would also be the first to do a 180 and attack the front office for being short-sighted for trading away Kelly – the moment Molina has another serious concussion or blows out a knee.

And please do not reply with how great Francisco Pena and Steven Baron are. They are spare parts, not starting quality catchers on a contending team. And let’s not bring up Jeremy Martinez again, please. 😉

Kelly is still only 23 years old. Just as he has considerable value now, he will still have considerable value this coming winter.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i am sorry but lumping all the people who want to trade Kelly into one category isnt fair… I absolutely know the risk of moving Kelly now…i think Knizner is closer than farther away and YES Pena and Baron are spare parts….but they are backup catchers…and that is the role on the 25man…which is a role on every MLB club…there are few teams (maybe Cleveland, LAD,Baltimore) who have roles on their roster for backup full time starter insurance…but most do not…

It is a risk to some degree for moving Kelly now with Pena or Baron or even Knizner being the next man up…but that risk also provides a reward…and forme the reward of someone like Archer outweighs my concerns over losing Yadi….as the backups should at least be able to provide adequate defense

Yadi has been pretty durable…and even his late season concussion they only heald him out longer for precaution after the postseason was out of reach when he would have come back

Also, there are NO guarantees Kelly would do well either…so the assumption that having Kelly somehow allows us no dropoff in production from Yadi is far from fact or any assurances

I liek our backup SPs, youngsters ready to step in…but i value the sustained success of someone like Archer more than the POTENTIAL of Flaherty and Kelly to be able to contribute immediately…

It is not so far from reason to think Mikolas and Waino may be ineffective…or that someone will get hurt who is in the rotation… Flaherty stepping in is a nice luxury high end prospect to fill a role…and Reyes obviously is… but putting so much on their shoulders at a young age and coming back from injury may prove a long term mistake if they flounder or get injured or re-injured due to use

and as you said… dont bring up Lyons or Gant or Norris as saviors either as they are either more useful (Lyons) in other areas of need OR are spare parts as you put it

What i found fascinating in the Q+A the other day was wen someone asked about what it would talked to get Archer and someone put Kelly +_ FLaherty and another good prospect…and they responded that was TOO much

If so…Kelly + Hudson is still top notch but lets us keep Flaherty….or maybe we can offer up FLaherty + an outfielder.. and the idea of moving Kelly now is moot if for someone like Archer…or we move him for something else we need

I think if we made Kelly available to the Nats…or several other teams we may be able to get a lot back.. I have always seemed to like Freeman from the Braves…woudl they consider Kelly + for Freeman? Or maybe Abreu? (his contract lines up with Ozuna i think too so it isnt alot of control but at least a little)

If we could snag Archer for a some SP depth and an outfielder…and a Kelly centered package moved for a big middle order bat like Freeman…wouldnt that be better than having Flaherty and Kelly?

I think it would be at least worth entertaining the idea of cashing in on the prospects we have now if we are truly wanting to compete right now… now do we do all do this for rentals? nah…but for controlled guys like Freeman and Archer..absolutely…. and even if it guts the farm a little bit…so what? we have lots of good arms and good young catchers…plus all the years to produce more gained of not needing them that guys like Archer and Freeman would provide

babbling again…sorry

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If the Cards traded Kelly as part of a deal for a major star, like an Archer, I would probably be fine with it. If they keep him this season, I would be fine with that, too.

My problem is with those who are impatient, demanding he be traded yesterday and acting as if Kelly’s career has been wasted. That is very short-sighted.

If Knizner develops this season, then yes, a deal for one of the two next fall would make sense, but it is not a race. The time will be right.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree with you…one season of this backup job is about all i can handle if he truly is elite level prospect…which is why during the Q+A he said theyd probably send him to Memphis if he really wasnt getting any PT this year…

i dont think we have wasted Kelly yet…but shoudl this current showing of how he is going to be used is how they want him used for the next 3 years then i’d have an issue with it…especially with Knizner developing and closer….

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

From the P-D.

The Cardinals are in trouble if Molina goes down, even with the promising Carson Kelly as their catcher in waiting at Memphis. The former infielder has shown a strong arm and has established rapport with pitchers. Clearly, he didn’t stay sharp last year as a part-time player with only 69 at-bats in 34 games in which he batted .174 with just one homer.

The 3 year deal Molina was handed is already showing signs of poor planning by the cowards in the FO.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cowards? Really?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Yeah, really and truly.

I went through all 29 teams to see if any one of them could make good use of a young catcher MLB-ready. Seattle is the one that stood out. Not a very deep catching corps now, and no one in the “Pipeline”.

Viewing 13 posts - 101 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.