Molina rest

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matheny isn’t my favorite manager in the world but the manager should determine who plays when and how often. Molina may be a future hall of famer but he comes across as a whiney crybaby throwing a tantrum when it comes to his playing time. Matheny should quit worrying about being a “player’s manager” and man up and tell Molina this is how it is going to be. Otherwise we are going to have a Billy Martin/Reggie Jackson incident on our hands.

NJ315
    Participant

I totally agree gscottar.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The thing is that the FO just empowered him to boss status, and IMO he undoubtedly wants Oquendo to manage the team. Not too good for clubhouse compatibility.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I wonder if Oquendo came back with the promise of the manager job if the team doesn’t make the playoffs. Hadn’t really thought of that possibility until.now.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Can someone please show me the quotes or reported behavior that equates to Molina being a “whiney crybaby”?

Why should a veteran who is a perennial All Star, has received MVP votes as recently as 2016, leader of the team, most important player for pitchers, who also is at VERY worst a top 5 defensive catcher in the league, who also was our most consistent hitter last year, hit .273 and 18HRs, led the team in RBI’s and hits, top 3 in GG, AND was healthy pretty much the whole year until a late season concussion (which they were overly careful with) NOT want to be out there every day he can? ANd why shouldn’t the manager of said player WANT him to be out there as much as he can, especially with the inconsistency of the hitting last year?

Yes, Carson Kelly exists…wwe get it…he is “supposed” to be the next coming or whatever

but Yadi plays and keeps playing because he plays well and as long as he isnt injured or gets really bad he should continue to play as much as possible and the manager should try to get as much out of a great player as possible

People really think Yadi could have been even better with the bat or glove last year with a few more days off? come on…

i keep reading the boring line of Yadi getting old and not good…show me how he has gotten so bad…i know that line of discussion makes sense but i don’t see the results proving that in any way…outside of his best ever defense perhaps degrading to the point of only AS, GG level defense.

and if his slow job to 1st on grounders to 2b or SS is an example…he was never fast EVER and just about every player fast or slow does the exact same thing….he also had 7 infield hits tied with Fowler for the year…the most on the team was Diaz at 21

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

oh and grounded into less double plays than “can do no wrong” “super hustle” Pham

NJ315
    Participant

Because Yadi crossed the line with his social media post calling out Matheny because he gave him a day off or two. Molina does not make the lineups if the manager gives days off his job is to take them. He additionally told Matheny he rather have Oquendo as the manager. He behaved like a diva who doesn’t always gets his way. Grow up and if you have a problem with the days off you can talk to the manager in private. But he if still wants to sit your butt down then just do it.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

I agree with Molina i’d rather have Oquendo as the manager over Matheny also!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oquendo was passed over before and I bet he would be again, too. Even when TLR had a managerial opening in Arizona, he did not hire Jose.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

nope no amnesia…just was curious if any other “proof” existed outside the basically ONE instance or at most TWO instances over a 1 week span in the entire career of Yadi

also that “proof” is pretty subjective
    manager is out of line and publicly says Yadi looks a bit …and trailed off… but implying run down or a little tired

said player comes back and publicly says (out of line) that he isn’t tired…and then posts picture of Oquendo and that he misses him…and refers to old school baseball (to me more referring to guys playing every day and shutting their mouths publicly) as opposed to any kind of attack on the fact that he was dragging

he wants to be out there every day…and when someone, especially his coach and mentor, says he shouldn’t be out there of course he would take it a bit personally…who wouldn’t

and that’s the whole of it…people want to turn him into the biggest diva ever because someone said he was tired and he said he wasnt… it’s pretty much a non-story that was blown way out of proportion…and both MAtheny and Yadi were the ones who are entirely at fault for it going that way by saying things publicly when they should have known better

any other evidence of Yadi being a “whiney crybaby”?

Go hunt for it..i am all ears…

IMO people just want an excuse to attack Yadi to validate their bias against him and the team giving him a 4r contract they dont like…because they are so enamoured with a prospect who has done nothing to deserve such praise…especially at the expense of a HOF player who probably was overall from start to finish the best player on the team last year

Who is the best catcher on the CArdinals? hitting and defensively? Yadi… he plays…every day he can do it well he should be out there doing it

That would be the expectation of anyone else out there, and if they publicly said they wanted to play after getting benched they would be applauded for wanting to give their all…but not Yadi..he gets attacked (he may have deserved it in this ONE example) and labeled forever as a whiner….when all he was whining about was wanting to play as much as possible when he was having a very good to great year…and he only did so after MAtheny publicly talked about something he shouldnt have…

If i said so and so was tired and implied they werent any good…i am pretty sure that person would feel like they had to defend themselves…who wouldn’t…especially when you disagree and your year pretty much shows otherwise or at least enough to not get your day or two off that you know you need thrown in your face publicly…did Yadi respond in the best way? nope… but usually people when confronted with something they feel they need to defend rarely do so in the best way someone else would want…

it was mistake on the Matheny and Yadi’s parts…but unless i see mountains of other evidence from his 14 yrs of experience that isnt “whiney” i dont see how that label can be attached with such ease unless extreme bias is in play

i defend him because i am bias too…except i am bias because i look at the whole of his character beyond one week and one instance…

show me more until that mountain rises from the water to create this grand vista for the villain of Yadi Molina to stand so obviously

NJ315
    Participant

Matheny was right Molina was wrong. Matheny did not make a mistake. He made a decision to give Molina a day off. He didn’t like it tough.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can’t have TWO managers.Molina should shut his GDamn mouth and play and sit when the mangers says sit.Matheny knows guite a bit about catching.Only a blind Molina fan who refuses to see Molina’s decline in agility and mobilty .He is still good but nothing like he used to be.Age and wear and tear catch up to everyone eventually.Molina isn’t immune to father time.
    Another point….if he is a real team first guy he would understand why he needs more rest as he ages .IMHO he is NOT a “WE” guy anymore.He has turned into a “ME” guy.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oquendo tells Hummel that he no longer wants to manage, and in the process, removes some potential tension this season.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/oquendo-ready-to-take-the-heat-as-cardinals-coach-but/article_774dd90c-c921-5a9f-9dd1-d4338194a343.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

People really think Yadi could have been even better with the bat or glove last year with a few more days off? come on..

This is contradictory to the argument,

14NyquisT
    Participant

IMHO he is NOT a “WE” guy anymore.He has turned into a “ME” guy.

THE FO f’ed up again. No foresight. No cover for Matheny. If the Cards miss Oct. play again (and there’s good reason to believe they will)… this will be a factor.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matheny can just sit guys without explaining why…he does it all the time..he does it with Yadi all the time

implying that Yadi is not looking good or whatever was unneeded and sparked the whole thing…Yadi reacted poorly… and it all was over with… they moved one…and so should everyone else

as for being contradictory…no…Yadi wanted to play because he recognizes he SHOULD play..and he was one of the best players for us last year…everyone gets a couple days off from time to time…but implying that Yadi is tired and needs to take time off, thus forcing Matheny to sit him is disrespectful…even if not malicious

Yadi should have played every game he could have last year…the team needed him the entire year

what i hear as contradictory is that people say he should just “shut up and play”…. but then they say out of the other side of their mouth that he is getting old and bad (with no proof) so he should sit…then they find another way to complain that the team isnt playing well…yet they argue for one of the best players who isnt tried nor in need of time off most of the time to sit

and as for him having a “decline in agility and mobility”…sure he probably has… no one is arguing that…the problem is that his agility and mobility that he has declined to its still top 5 in the league…and there is no one out there who is available for us that can do better… unless you are willing to take a drop in productivity for the HOPE that Kelly becomes better…yet Yadi has done nothign to show he cant be productive

14NyquisT
    Participant

Molina dropped to #8 on the MLB shredder list. The younger backstops are moving ahead of him rapidly. Saying that he would play better with more rest AND saying that he should play when he wants is contradictory. If you watched any number of the ’17 Card’s games you’d understand why people are complaining about his D.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another positive for giving Yadi more days off is he would then have the energy to actually hustle down to first base instead of walking when “running” out a grounder or popup.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Gsc.. spot on.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PadsFS
    Participant

How many years in a row is Passan going to say that before he’s right?

PadsFS
    Participant

Molina was so overused last year that he got better as the season went on!

First half: 83 wRC+ (.714 OPS), Second half: 108 wRC+ (.798 OPS)

You are also going to have a very hard time convincing me his defense is declining either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Framing is one part of defense. Caught stealing is perhaps the most visible. Last season, Molina was 10th among qualified MLB catchers in CS % at 35.8%. That was up from his career-low 21.2% in 2016.

From 2009-2015, Molina threw out more than 40% in six of those seven years. So, yes, there would seem to be a clear decline in this aspect of his defense. Is it all on him? No, but the numbers are what they are.

As an aside, last season, Molina was second among MLB catchers in innings caught at 1125 2/3. He turned 35 in July.

As another aside, the Cardinals have tutored Molina to turn his head sideways when receiving pitches to try to lessen the direct impact of foul balls to his facemask. One would have to wonder if it would slow his throwing reaction to second base, given his eyes are not facing forward when he receives the ball. Just a thought.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.