Molina rest

This topic contains 100 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 2 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)
  • Author

14NyquisT
    Participant

Signing Molina for three more years spelled disaster from the get go. The F.O. must have had an idea that this would happen. With Kelly on the horizon, it was plain to see that Molina wasn’t about to help the one who would be taking innings away from him. At the time of his signing, Molina had a chance for free agency and finding a team where he could play out a contact without being pressured by the “best catching prospect” in the minors.

So now there’s a chance that this will lead to discord in the clubhouse with Molina and others feeling that F.O. “misinformed” him. Yadi now knows that he should not have signed on here for three more years. The F.O. felt that letting Molina walk would have been asking for problems from the fan base, but Pujols walked in a similar situation and the team’s faithful calmed down after realizing that signing ap was a bad idea.

Yadi is slipping and his trots to first always annoyed me…. very bad precedent in showing the other players how not to hustle. What seems to be happening is that the tail wants to wag the dog….. also another bad example for other players to ponder. I would say to nip this in the bud… trade Pham (a good idea anyway), and regain control of the dugout. Is Molina going to pout each time he doesn’t start? How does that help Kelly and the rest of the team going forward?

Are we stuck with two lousy contracts now?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Without bombast or sensationalism, Bernie points out that Molina’s actions add to the manager’s internal difficulties – or perhaps just draw more attention to them.

If Mike Matheny Loses Yadier Molina’s Loyalty, the Manager Is In Danger of Losing the Clubhouse

gscottar
    Participant

This is basically what I posted earlier in this thread.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Good article by Bernie. Spot on.

A huge part of being a real professional is acting like one is all phases. In this case it means you understand that you’re not getting the job done in the 5 slot so you move down in the batting order. You want the 5 slot? Produce.

And Matheny needs to put on some big boy panties and manage his club house.

Bw52
    Participant

If Yadi wants to make up the lineup and decide who and when to play then he`s needs to retire and become a manager.Otherwise shut up publicly and keep it in the clubhouse.

gscottar
    Participant

That is true but the fact that he had the courage to do it publicly tells you he has no respect or fear of MM. Tells you who is running the clubhouse.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Molina upping the ante by his newest Instagram post, talking about how he misses Jose Oquendo.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Who goes? Molina? Matheny? Or Kelly? I dont see all 3 being here next year. I never wanted Molina and Kelly (thought if the signed Molina they should trade Kelly). I hope at this point it is Molina who goes (waives his ntc). But most likely is Kelly who goes

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m thinking that Molina has little to gain by talking like he has, and a whole lot to lose. Yadi, you got your 3 year contract. Are we going to have to go through 2 1/2 years more of this? Make out a list of teams you’d rather be playing with and give it to Mozeliak. Oh yeah, and start running to first.

EuroWolf
    Participant

Just shows we have another miscalculation by our front office regarding Molina’s extension…unless they are planning to do something with MM, Yadi, or Kelly…yeah right. On a good day, this FO is stuck in neutral.

Onyxgem
    Participant

THat is easy, the one that needs to go is the clown Matheny

Bw52
    Participant

Wouldn`t bother me to see Molina and Matheny gone next season.MCarpenter,Pham,Wong can all go with them.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Why Pham?

Bw52
    Participant

Why Pham? because he`s oldest next to Fowler.He has overachieved so far this season.He has a injury history and eye problems.Plus Cards have many other OF options who are younger and probably more talented.If possible I would send Fowler packing also………but he has the NTC.Phams value is peaking and MO messed up by not taking advantage of that by using Pham in a package trade.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

More talented than Pham, I would debate.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

While I have been doing other work the last few days, I could not get out of my head wondering why Molina is doing what he is doing. I put all my possible theories in one place.

Molina’s Myriad of Motives – Maybe

bccran
    Participant

One other hypothesis is that it has been blown way out of proportion by the media and others.
    Yadi is frustrated by the performance of the club. Spats happen, and then people make up and apologize. Media people keep the fire
    blazing by keeping it in front of the public.

Also, some have made the comment in their synopses that Kelly can only play catcher. I doubt that. He could probably play both 1B and
    LF adequately. He was drafted as a power hitting high school third baseman. With some work, he could get some at bats in the next several year at other positions.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Had the Molina situation ended with the first incident, I would not have written about it. After the first incident, it was discussed among the parties and even Bill DeWitt publicly expressed his disappointment. Yet, it did not go away because Molina fired another volley. No matter how it is spun, this is not a good situation for anyone.

Molina’s long-term status has been known for years. Yet, Kelly has never played even one inning at another position since he was pulled off third base (for very good reasons) four years ago. If you are suggesting they take another player at the MLB level and start trying him around the diamond to see if he can handle it, more games are going to be lost. MLB is not supposed to be a test bed. That is what the minors are for.

In other words, if the Cards had any plans to play Kelly elsewhere, we should have seen it long ago. Or if we see it now, it will be a clear admission their advance planning was inadequate.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW….. I remember when TCruz first came up in ’11 and he was given some time at 1B,2B,3B the OF and of course catching. I know he started his pro career as a 3B, but the Cards were obviously trying to find ABs for him as he was hitting up a storm at the time.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I commented earlier about the Molina outburst. No one in the F.O. wants discord, especially going public. I believe Molina was one of the older players that Heywad was speaking of when he shot off his big mouth publicly and left town. BW mentioned that Molina seemingly has almost everything a veteran player could want, so what else is necessary to make him happier? a pacifier? The contract the organization gave him was a huge mistake… didn’t anyone see this coming? Geez, I was thinking it was a three year deal…. four years is just plain ridiculous.

Both Molina and Pham are career Cardinal system guys, however maybe it’s time they left with another city sticker on their luggage. Neither is indispensable, au contraire. IMO, they can be replaced in a heartbeat.

If Molina keeps up venting his wishes in the media…. off with his head.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

The big difference is that Cruz played catcher, first base and third base EVERY year while coming up through the system. Other than a couple games in the OF, a TLR Special, he worked on the other positions regularly in drills and in games for years without interruption. He did NOT start to diversify defensively AFTER reaching the majors.

Bottom line, when Cruz reached StL, he was already properly prepared for how he was going to be used.

P.S. Regarding “hitting up a storm,” how will Kelly ever get a chance to get in a groove being nailed to the bullpen bench?

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by  Brian Walton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Molina’s new contract is for three years, but it does not start until 2018. Three years, $60 million.

Dennis Johnson
    Participant

The Carson Kelly situation shows how they fail to plan ahead. He certainly is good enough athlete to handle other positions and especially first base. Other times forward planning was poor was Matt Adams playing some outfield AFTER spring training was over and little play at short until AFL for DeJong.

Bw52
    Participant

Get rid of Molina,Matheny,Pham,Carpenter,Mabry and Clean house and start over.Molina because he needs to either shut up or retire and go into managing.Pham because he is playing way over his head and is fools gold,Carpenter because he is overpaid underproductive and its time for a change.Mabry and Matheny because MM might have lost the clubhouse and Mabry because the offense stinks.Others who should be on the hot seat are Grichuk -who should get the remaining season to show if he can be productive.Wong who needs to show he can be consistent and justify his contract.Oh who is gone IMHO.Seigrist needs to show he can turn it around.I think Piscotty gets a chance to show e can return to 2016 form.

thejager
    Participant

if you are only going to be “happy” if they clean house like you say…then prepare to nto be happy…it won’t happen…. so come to grips with being unhappy and deal with it…or readjust your expectations and learn to find some joy in what is in front of you… and if you cant do either…then pick another team and move on

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.