Molina rest

This topic contains 100 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 2 days, 1 hour ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

An annual question is back again. How should the Cardinals manage Molina’s rest and with whom?

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  Brian Walton.

PadsFS
    Participant

I feel like Molina is just a different breed at this point. He’s breaking a lot of barriers and assumptions.

NJ315
    Participant

Molina needs to rest period. Even taking out of the equation that he is a catcher all players need rest. This is asinine. If you won’t play his backup get a better one.

thejager
    Participant

IF we sit him for a game or two people complain and want Carson up and playing, if we play him people complain he isnt getting enough rest

i agree with Pads that he is just a different breed

NJ315
    Participant

and what different breed would that be? Impervious to human tiredness? That is the most ridiculous thing ever heard “a different breed”. He is human like his teammates and they all get rest. He is a catcher and almost 35. Nobody wants Carson up just a backup that Matheny will play.

PadsFS
    Participant

I think it would be different if he was constantly getting pulling for minor injuries like Fowler or putting up poor production, but he isn’t doing either of those. Plus these ten days in a row are right before he gets a 5-day break.

PadsFS
    Participant

NJ315

and what different breed would that be? Impervious to human tiredness? That is the most ridiculous thing ever heard “a different breed”. He is human like his teammates and they all get rest. He is a catcher and almost 35. Nobody wants Carson up just a backup that Matheny will play.

In the same vein of players like Cal Ripken and Michael Jordan.

Julio Franco and Bartolo Colon played for a long time and Molina’s own brother Jose carried on for a long time as well.

I’m 34 and run marathons at speeds faster than I did ten years ago. Maybe I will “fall off a cliff”, but most of my friends can’t do anything anymore, which isn’t the case for me.

PadsFS
    Participant

If Molina ends up falling off a cliff, it sure is nice that we have the top catching prospect in the entire minor leagues ready to fill in for him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Suggests to me that Molina is fine with mentoring Kelly as long as the latter spends his games in the bullpen…

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Brian Walton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Even Jen Langosch, who is the most removed reporter from being a pot-stirrer that I know, notes the discord…

A lot of Twitter disagreement over who is right and who is wrong, but the fact remains airing dirty laundry in public serves no good.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Molina needs to get his panties out of a bunch

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

This is the first time Molina has ever had a viable competitor for his job on the roster – a guy who is not going to stink like most of the backups. So he could be a bit more sensitive.

Still, taking on his manager publicly with a charge of “misinforming” is not a good look from one of the team leaders.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I have not gone to verify this, but internet talk is that several other players “liked” Molina’s comment on Instagram. You can see in the screen grab above that Pham is among them.

vegasjim
    Participant

Thought it was odd to see him spend the entire game in the bullpen last night. He usually will be in dugout on his rare off days.

Also I thought it was interesting that the game shots would pan to him after Kelly threw out the runner and made nice blocks of the ball in the dirt. Assumed the tv crew was hoping to catch a moment of support or open up the conversation for the announcers. However it appeared he was not even paying attention to field only chatting up teammates. The tv team did not get the opening they were trying to lead into.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I wondered about the same thing, vegas. FWIW, Molina is reportedly very close to second bullpen catcher Kleininger Teran, who was in all of the shots from the pen I noticed last night.

If there was active mentoring of Kelly going on, it was sure hard to see.

NJ315
    Participant

I like Molina but he needs to get over himself. I am not a Matheny fan at all but if he sits Molina for a game every week then Molina just needs to sit down and shut up. Molina doesn’t get to make lineups or decide who plays when or where. I thought it was a good decision to let Kelly catch Weaver. To both Molina and Carpenter keep the stuff in house where it belongs.

gscottar
    Participant

Matheny had better tread carefully here. This has all of the makings of “losing the clubhouse”, which usually spells doom for a manager. If the team is forced to choose I bet they choose keeping Yadi over Matheny.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Interestingly, both are under contract through 2020.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

It is a very different, politically-correct world we live in. Suppose Whitey had said that one of his players looked tired as the explanation for giving him a day off. Would he have gotten called out on it publicly? And if he had, what do you think he would have done about it?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

mudville
    Participant

It is understandable that established players would not like challengers from the minor leagues, or anywhere else, pushing them. But it sure is something that will bring out the best in all of the players involved which is really what competition is all about.

In a perfect world the players who have already had plenty of fame and fortune would welcome and embrace the younger players seeking their own fame and fortune. And the game and the fans would be better off because of it. Too bad we don’t live in a perfect world. Its sad to see players being guided by their own self-serving interests rather than respect for others and respect for the game.

mudville
    Participant

Just had the thought that Molina might not be bothered at all by the presence of Kelly. Maybe he, and the other players, just want to be treated like professionals, not like children that need nap time and a guardian.

I hope that the media personnel can get to the bottom of this. If somebody can clearly define what’s going on with Molina and other players, then some kind of correction can be made.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  mudville.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I hope the media is kept out of it. This kind of matter should be handled behind closed doors, IMO.

mudville
    Participant

Disagree. Whatever is going on needs to be pulled out into the open so something can be done about it. If it all stays within the organization, all that’s going to happen, IMO, is that its going to get suppressed and covered over. Hayes and some of the others that work for the organization have already begun that process. If Molina and others don’t like the competition from the rookies, then they should say so. If they think that Matheny is interfering with them personally, then say so.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I think we agree on what should be done, but not on how it should be done.

IMO, as the next level of management, the general manager should get to the bottom of what is going on in the clubhouse and determine what should be done. If handled properly, the media and the public would have no part in it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.