MLB playoff thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB playoff thread

This topic contains 214 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  gscottar 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 201 through 215 (of 215 total)
  • Author

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Houston on the verge of their first world series title. 5-1 Astros after seven innings.

Anybody but the Cubs is fine with me……..

r/Rat

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Top of the 9th now, Astros still up 5-1…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Bottom of the 9th now, Astros still up 5-1…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Astros win it all…

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Great to see that a $265 million payroll can’t buy you a World Series. Strange how the Texas Rangers couldn’t bring a Championship to Texas, but managed to do it this year by trading Yu Darvish to the Dodgers.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Also nice to see Carlos Beltran finally win a title, unless I’m mistaken and he won one earlier as he’s a former Cardinal…

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Beltran didn’t win a WS title with the Cardinals.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Congrats to the Houston Astros! They came into the National League in 1962 along with the New York Mets, and finally get their first title. The Mets got their first way back in 1969, so it’s about time Houston got there.

They had some tough luck along the way, losing close NL playoff series in 1980 and 1986. And they had a future Hall of Fame pitcher, JR Richard, who tragically suffered a stroke at a young age and was unable to recover enough to pitch again.

I am happy for that most young Astros team, and Carlos Beltran as was mentioned. Also I am happy for Jose Cruz, a former Cardinal farmhand who we gave away early in his career, and he carved out a nice career in Houston. He still works for the Astros and does a lot of community outreach work.

thejager
    Participant

grats to the Stros!
    Seeme like a fun team that wont be going away any time soon.

gscottar
    Participant

People talk a lot of about the Dodgers payroll but a huge chunk of it is going towards players who either aren’t on the team anymore or play a minimal role.

Of the players who actively contributed to their WS run, only Kershaw, Hill, Jansen, and Turner were paid over $10M this year. Most of the rest of their payroll was in sunk costs.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I don’t give the Dodgers a payroll pass just because some of their gambles didn’t pan out. It is that large payroll that allows them to take risks – some will payoff and others wont.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

I know that Beltran didn’t win a title with the Cards, only saying that he played for us so congrats to a former Cardinal, I wasn’t sure if he had won a title earlier in his career with one of his other teams…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Speaking of payrolls and the post-season, the three playoff clubs with the highest payrolls – Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers – all lost their head-to-head matchups with Houston.

thejager
    Participant

But didnt the Dodgers beat all their competitors high and low budgets to get to the WS?

maybe the Stros were just good…and it’s not like the Stros kids are really worth less they just arent on huge contracts…but almost all of them will get their big paydays…if Lunhow had signed bregman or Correa for 500k 10yrs deal as a FA id be impressed with their low budgets…but they…just like the cubs are are just in a window of cheap young players that were high enough caliber due to being drafted in the upper part of the draft to be able to be sped through the system to take advantage of their cheapness…

it’s a fine way to keep a budget low..but you seem to play for the window not the long game…Royals did it and are now dealing with the fall out…TB did it and had to retool and sunk back down….
    When all these young players for the Stros paydays come do you really think they will pay them all and keep them all? I don’t…they will be forced to pick a few and hope the ones they pan outand keep dont drag down the payroll…sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt….Royals kept gordon and that looks like it may be stopping them from keeping Hosmer or Moose…TB kept Longoria and it’s been ok…but they havent been able to replenish the good young players around him from within as they won too much and had to pick from a crop of players who arent sure things…

If you want a window you can tank and try to take advantage of the younger players before you have to pay them…if you want to provide year in year out good play and consistency you have to either spend a lot of money and make a lot of mistakes thus eating money sometiems…OR you have to be really wise about how much you spend and how much risk you will take on…which means sometimes missing the playoffs by a couple games or having a few off years where things dont come together or deficiencies or poor play dont correct themselves…sometimes guys just get hurt

gscottar
    Participant

I agree that the Astros have a definite window. When their young players become eligible for the big money they will probably not be able to keep them all. The Cubs, on the other hand, have much more payroll muscle than the Astros.

As for the Dodgers, the point I was making is that a lot of their sunk costs and bad contracts were pre-Andrew Friedman. He will eventually get them under the tax penalty threshold.

Viewing 15 posts - 201 through 215 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years