MLB playoff thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB playoff thread

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thank you Dodgers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bernie Miklasz has an interesting spin. The Cubs being dominated by the Dodgers will make them even hungrier this off-season and they may be competing with the Cards for relievers.

https://www.101sports.com/2017/10/20/cardinals-beware-getting-crushed-nlcs-will-make-cubs-hungrier/

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

No doubt. The Cubs will go strong for everything they need and the Cardinals will be timid as usual.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the 5th, Astros up 1-0, 1 out and bases loaded…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the 5th, Astros up 3-0, 2 outs and runners on 1st and 3rd…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Bottom of the 8th, Astros now up 6-1, 1 out and a runner on 3rd…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

After a sacrifice fly it’s now 7-1 Astros, looks like there’ll be a game 7 after all…

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Astros win 7-1 to force game 7…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Judge saved the first run when he pulled back Gurriel’s solo homer in the second. Scoreless tie in the third in Game 7 between Yankees and Astros.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

4-0 Astros in the last of the 8th. Looks like its a Houston/LA series coming up. Perhaps justice is served as they had the two best records in the game this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Morton and McCullers were really good for the Astros tonight.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It’s an all NL West World Series. The Astros have now won two pennants, one in each league. They are the only franchise in the modern era to win a pennant in each league. Milwaukee has represented each league in the Series, but those were two different franchises.

These are two of the three best teams this year, along with Cleveland. This should be a good World Series.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Saw something that stated the Dodgers are now tied with the Cardinals for third in pennants won with 19. The Giants are second at 20, and of course we know who is first.

By my count however, the Dodgers are now tied with the Cardinals alright, but for second place with 23. The Giants are third at 22. These numbers are attained by going back to each franchise’s origins, and counting up pennants for what was recognized as the major leagues at the time.

The Dodgers have the 19 modern era NL pennants, plus the franchise won the 1889 American Association pennant, and NL pennants in 1890, 1899 and 1900.

The Cardinals have won 19 modern era NL flags, and won four straight AA pennants from 1885-88.

The Giants have won 20 modern era pennants, and also won NL flags in 1888 and 1889.

There have been three eras where the Cardinals and Dodgers combined to dominate baseball. The franchises won pennants from 1885-1890, with the Cardinals getting the AA flags from ’85-88, then Brooklyn winning the 1889 AA pennant. The Brooklyn franchise then moved to the National League in 1890 and won another pennant.

In the 1940s, the two franchises combined to win 7 of the 10 NL pennants, 4 by the Cards and 3 by the Dodgers.

From 1963-1968, the two franchises won each of the six NL flags, splitting them at 3 apiece. Plus each franchise won 2 of the 3 World Series they played in the ’60s.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Some may not know that the NL teams do not recognize their American Association results. The Dodgers start their history in 1890; the Cards in 1892, when they joined the NL. For that reason, the Cardinals celebrated 2017 as their 125th anniversary.

Personally, I disagree, but that is the way it is.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We have commented on that from time to time. I disagree as well. I believe the prevailing thought at one time was teams that started in the American Association did include that as part of their “official” history but then that history was not as formalized as today. My dad had some old books on Cardinal history, one by J. Roy Stockton, and it started with the AA teams.

Bob Broeg’s 1981 book “Redbirds” is subtitled “A Century Of Cardinals’ Baseball”, and starts with the 1882 team.

Even today sites such as retrosheet and baseball-reference list the 1880’s as the beginning of the Cardinals and Dodgers franchises. The organizations themselves seem to be out of touch with their own history.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not recognizing the AA was an MLB decision, not made by the individual teams. There were four AA-NL teams involved and all follow the exclusion.

As I have written about in the past, it is a very murky area. When it benefits them, MLB recognizes individual player results from that period while not acknowledging their team results. Makes no sense.

I’ve discussed it before with Cardinals folks. The disconnect is understood, but my take is that those who get it don’t have the power and those who have the power have other matters on their priority lists.

If I think about it, I will try to ask Bill DeWitt, Jr. for his take when the team HOF committee meets again. It would take someone like him for this to have any chance of being formally reevaluated by MLB. At a minimum, the Dodgers, Reds and Pirates would also have to be on board. How the other 26 teams would react to being put farther behind the leaders in world championships could be another roadblock.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bernie Miklasz has an interesting spin. The Cubs being dominated by the Dodgers will make them even hungrier this off-season and they may be competing with the Cards for relievers.

https://www.101sports.com/2017/10/20/cardinals-beware-getting-crushed-nlcs-will-make-cubs-hungrier/

Oh I have no doubt the Cubs will start the offseason guns blazing.

They will get Hickey as their pitching coach, trade one or more of their young sluggers for Chris Archer, sign or trade for an elite closer, acquire several elite set up men, and probably go after another big OF bat. Heck, they might trade for Stanton. They have one of the most aggressive front office’s out there.

I just hope our front office will be aggressive also.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not recognizing the AA was an MLB decision, not made by the individual teams. There were four AA-NL teams involved and all follow the exclusion.
    As I have written about in the past, it is a very murky area. When it benefits them, MLB recognizes individual player results from that period while not acknowledging their team results. Makes no sense.
    I’ve discussed it before with Cardinals folks. The disconnect is understood, but my take is that those who get it don’t have the power and those who have the power have other matters on their priority lists.
    If I think about it, I will try to ask Bill DeWitt, Jr. for his take when the team HOF committee meets again. It would take someone like him for this to have any chance of being formally reevaluated by MLB. At a minimum, the Dodgers, Reds and Pirates would also have to be on board. How the other 26 teams would react to being put farther behind the leaders in world championships could be another roadblock.

Great information Brian. I can understand other club’s fragile egos being hurt by adding more history to some of their rivals, even though there are already huge differences in team’s history due to expansion. It just makes sense to take a team’s history from their origination as a major league club. Perhaps with the recent league changes by the Milwaukee and Houston clubs, MLB will be more open to recognizing records from teams that changed leagues in the past.

One thing interesting was that the information I saw on the Dodgers tying the Cardinals with 19 pennants, which was on an ESPN crawl, means that they are only counting Dodger pennants since 1901 (or since 1916 in their case). They won NL pennants in 1890, 1899 and 1900 as members of the National League, which gives them 22 with the 19 won from 1916 through 2017. Maybe the crawl had a “modern era” qualifier. I just happened to catch a glimpse of it on a television at the local gym where I work out, so I may have not gotten all of it.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Going to be 100 degrees in Los Angeles tomorrow. Word is it might be the hottest world series game on record.

Unless that was fake news that I saw.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Maybe November baseball is do-able after all. 🙂

Still wish MLB would have some of the games in the day. It will never happen of course as money overrides sentiment. But I think it would be cool if the two “get away” games, games 2 and 5, were day games.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Some of my earliest baseball memories are of rushing home from school to watch the world series on TV.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We didn’t have video games, and there were only like four channels on the TV, CC! 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Very interesting news out of LA. Rather than join his Dodgers teammates for the playoffs, injured veteran 1B Adrian Gonzalez took his family on an European vacation. He is under contract for 2018 as well.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/mlb/la-sp-dodgers-gonzalez-shaikin-20171023-story.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/10/24/adrian-gonzalez-dodgers-world-series/796647001/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Per Richard Justice of MLB.com:

Game 1 winner has won World Series 70 of 112 Times (62.5%). Done it 12 of last 14 and 17 of last 20.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I wonder whats going to happen with Adrian Gonzalez in 2018? At only 35 I assume he still has some gas left in the tank.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.