MLB announces pace of play changes

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB announces pace of play changes

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Smart or not they better do something and quick to fix the game pace. As baby boomers die baseball will lose its biggest fan base. I am all in for all those changes. They have to bring the game up to speed no pun intended with the fact that the attention span of younger fans is that of a gnat. Competing entertainment sources will kill baseball. The game as it is now is slow and boring make changes that will make the game relevant again or suffer the consequences. That is the bottom line for both players and owners.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ, do you think these small tweaks will matter enough to change anyone’s mind about pace?

NJ315
    Participant

It is a start. Keeping the status quo is not an option.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The three batter minimun for a pitcher to face is idiotic. So is putting a runner on at 2nd.

About the three batter rule. What if you bring in your lefty to get the last two outs of the top of the 8th and he is due to hit 2nd in the last of the 8th? You cant take him out, he didn’t face three batters. What happens here?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

1. Universal DH…I could live with it.
    2. Fewer mound visits…NO!
    3. Three batter minimum…NO!
    4. 20 second pitch clock…NO!
    5. Trade deadline before the All-Star game…I could live with it.
    6. Expanded roster..Okay but why would the owners want that?
    7. Lower the mound!!! NO,NO,NO!!!!! It should be raised to fifteen inches where it belongs. It should have never been lowered. At fifteen inches we’d have baseball and not homerun derby.

—————————————————————————————————–

My take:

1) Universal DH? Nope, get rid of the DH altogether, including the AL.
    2) Fewer mound visits? Leave as is
    3) Three batter minimum? What are some people thinking? Or smoking??? Is marijuana legal in the state where this lunacy is being discussed??? Same for putting a runner on 2nd – lunacy.
    4) 20 second pitch clock. They cant be serious???
    5) Trade deadline change: Sunday before ASG is fine but whats wrong with July 31st now?
    6) Expanded roster? 25 is fine. 28 starting Sept 1st.
    7) Lower the mound? Why???

Geez, just start the games 30 minutes earlier, between 6:30 and 6:45. Then every game would be over by 10:00 and the problem of pace is solved.

r/Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re a baseball purist, Rat. God love you!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After these changes are adopted, why not just drop the name ‘baseball’. Lets call it ‘modernball’ or maybe ‘newball’ or
    maybe ‘quickball’? There has got to be a name that fits this new game better than the tired old name of ‘baseball’.

1982 willie
    Participant

I hate the dh rule. it hasn’t bothered me much cause I really only follow the cardinals. ive always liked the yankees but ive only really watched them at playoff time. but I absolutely hate the dh. isn’t how the game is supposed to be played. I also don’t feel the need for a pitch clock, the umpires should just warn the pitchers that are taking too long and if they continue, just call a ball if they are continuing to take too long. that will get the pitchers attention. sometimes there is a need for slowing down the game and a rule them all clock is not the right thing. I personally don’t have a problem with making pitchers have to pitch to more than one batter, I have never liked the match up stuff, that’s the biggest time user. no need to lower the mound either, heck they should raise it back to where it was. no, baseballs problems lie elsewhere. one of them is tanking. its always been around but over the last two decades even prominent teams have started doing it. the bad thing is that it has worked in giving some teams championships but in the long run, its bad for attendance and bad for the game overall. who wants to go watch a team with nobodies playing and not trying to win. how about trying to play a different style of game, build your team around different things like speed, ball contact, better defense. the game can be played more than one way. get coaches that think outside the box, that aren’t glued to these analytic schemes, god bless you whitey Herzog. if the league was really serious they would institute rules that mandate each team spend so much money on the team in the field, not their organization as a whole. its nice if your minor league teams win but if that doesn’t translate to your main team winning, it doesn’t really matter. also baseball seems to want the audience of the nba and nfl. you aren’t gonna get it without totally destroying the game. just look at the superbowl. even though it was a tight game, people were bored by it. they would rather have a wing the ball down the field throw fest like last years than an actually well played defensive games. why cause people want to be entertained. in the end, most aren’t even real fans. they would rather have this back and forth even if the team they are rooting for ends up losing. I think you could bring back the baseball games of old with their shorter game times and those people still aren’t gonna watch. to me part of the problems lie with networks like espn or fox sports. those are the places people get most of their sporting news other than maybe their phone but those networks are there too. they don’t talk about baseball, hardly ever. some big suspension, hall of fame news, the new proposed rules discussion like today yea they will mention it but other than that , nothing. you get a little free agency talk but not much but the owners of the teams have largely been responsible for that cause these teams don’t want to at least try for these guys, theyd rather sit on their fortunes like the cardinals do or spend it in areas that don’t translate. now I understand a baseball show isn’t gonna have the rating power of the nfl or nba shows but it wouldn’t hurt them to have one on especially espn with all its channels. instead of a rerun of highly questionable they could have a regular baseball show. a baseball show with the right people that know the game, that have played the game could do well and would go a long ways to getting the game back in the general audiences minds. would it do as well as the other shows, no but its not that important. getting someone like alex rodriguez or john smoltz could do wonders even if they could only get them part time. im sure there are some other former players that could work well. they have to have the knowledge and be able to translate their information well. I have other thoughts on baseballs woes but ill let it go for now.

1982 willie
    Participant

I want to apologize for the wall of text. I split it up in paragraphs when I wrote it but it came out like that.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Onyxgem:

The mound was at 15 inches for over a hundred years. Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Musial, Mays, Aaron and hundreds of others performed just fine.
    If you want to lessen pitching changes: Raise to 15 inches
    If you want to stop using six pitchers to win a 5-4 game” Raise to 15 inches
    If you want to reduce pitching injuries to young pitchers: Raise to 15 inches
    If you want to speed up the game: Raise to 15 inches
    Lowering the mound was the worst thing baseball ever did.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

nate, while Bob Gibson might agree with you, I don’t think the guys running the game do. They are after creating MORE offense, not less.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well worded Brian. My thoughts exactly. No need to get too caught up in the details of the proposed changes right now. The most important thing is the two sides are talking.

The commissioner’s office and the owners seem to be focused on pace of play issues which is fine but I think the main issue the players want to talk about is how free agency can be modified to enhance the players chances of continued healthy contracts. Somehow all of these issues are going to have to be melded together to reach an agreement. But at least they are working on it. A work stoppage would be unacceptable.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A work stoppage would be unacceptable.

I agree. I’m glad that the sides have begun to talk already and like BW, hope they continue to seriously dialogue until an agreement is made.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

An agreement without adding years to the CBA does nothing to ensure a work stoppage after 2021

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am shocked, shocked I say. You mean because one side asks for a concession, it doesn’t happen immediately? I had seen people already re-working the Cardinals 2019 batting order to get Jose Martinez in there every day. Better start working on the 2022 order, instead…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pace of play… get rid of the replay ridiculousness. 5 to 15 minutes of two men in black with wires and head sets standing around waiting for someone to make a decision which is sometimes wrong anyway. It breaks up the game to the nth degree. I hate it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A key point of view that so many did not understand. MLB isn’t going to give on the DH just to get a 20-second pitch clock and a bunch of trivial changes.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the universal DH, the roster expansion with a limit of 12 pitchers, and the 3 batter minimum. On that last one, the 3 batter minimum likely means within an inning. Thus in Rats example where you bring in a guy, and he gets the last two outs of an inning facing only two batters, if he is then pulled for a pinch-hitter that is fine.

Basically you want to get away from the situation where a guy uses three pitchers to get three outs in an inning.

The runner on second is a little weird, as I thought when Spring games were tied, they just called it after a period of time. I would not involve that rule in Spring games nor the All Star game. It is unnecessary.

Lowering the mound is not a good idea either. It might be that the pitching rubber will need to be moved back at some point though, which again is non-traditional. But as we see more and more power pitchers, it might become a necessity.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I like the universal DH, the roster expansion with a limit of 12 pitchers, and the 3 batter minimum. On that last one, the 3 batter minimum likely means within an inning. Thus in Rats example where you bring in a guy, and he gets the last two outs of an inning facing only two batters, if he is then pulled for a pinch-hitter that is fine.

Basically you want to get away from the situation where a guy uses three pitchers to get three outs in an inning.

The runner on second is a little weird, as I thought when Spring games were tied, they just called it after a period of time. I would not involve that rule in Spring games nor the All Star game. It is unnecessary.

Lowering the mound is not a good idea either. It might be that the pitching rubber will need to be moved back at some point though, which again is non-traditional. But as we see more and more power pitchers, it might become a necessity.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

You’ll like the 3 batter minimum until it starts costing the Cardinals games. 1 run game and you bring in a reliever and he struggles with the 1st batter. Clearly he’s off but you have to leave him in the game. He walks the guy. 2nd batter comes up and its the same thing. The relief pitcher struggles and either gives up a hit or walks him. Then he has to face the 3rd batter because you still can’t take him out and he gives up a 3-run bomb. Boom!

That’s the worst proposed rule change out there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton

Keymaster

Paid – Annual
    A key point of view that so many did not understand. MLB isn’t going to give on the DH just to get a 20-second pitch clock and a bunch of trivial changes.

When you say MLB are you referring to the commissioner’s office, the owners, the players, all, none of the above??

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Commissioner’s office is the owners for purposes of negotiations. The players are the ones asking for the DH.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have not validated these numbers, but they are interesting if accurate.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton

Keymaster

Paid – Annual
    Commissioner’s office is the owners for purposes of negotiations. The players are the ones asking for the DH.

Correct but the players aren’t asking for a 20 second pitch clock or any other pace of play changes that I am aware of. So when you mentioned that MLB wouldn’t give on the DH issue just to get the pitch clock, the players aren’t asking for the pitch clock. Manfred is.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 168 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.