Minor League Roster Projections

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Roster Projections

This topic contains 48 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  CariocaCardinal 6 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author

14NyquisT
    Participant

The ages of the pitchers mentioned as being assigned to (AAA) Memphis

Flaherty………22>>>>>23– 10/15/18
    Gant………….25>>>>>26– 8/6/18
    Hudson………..23>>>>>24– 9/15/18
    NMolina……….29
    Gomber………..25>>>>>26– 1/25/19
    Pearce………..23>>>>>24– 2/24/18
    Poncedeleon……26>>>>>27– 1/16/19
    Helsley……….23>>>>>24– 7/18/18
    Herget………..26>>>>>27– 4/3/18
    Greene………..22>>>>>23– 4/4/18

Note– Gomber is already 25… this is his make or break season. I’m not sure where NMolina would fit in if he doesn’t make AAA. Poncedeleon (26) is in the same boat as Gomber and with the missed time and recovery his clock is ticking. Ditto for Herget, although he has been a relief pitcher. There’s so much starting pitcher competition at the AAA and AA levels right now. The farm must be watching the clock also.

PadsFS
    Participant

Gomber was born on November 23rd, 1993. He just turned 24 years old and will play 2018 as such.

That makes sense because Ponce was a Senior signee and Gomber was a Junior and they were drafted in the same year.

bccran
    Participant

I wonder how fast they will push Helsley. He will probably start at Springfield, but may see a reasonable amount of time at Memphis. Not out of the question he could be called up to St. Louis in an emergency sometime during the season?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Gomber’s “clock” is no longer a pressing matter. It was re-set this winter when he was added to the 40-man. As long as he continues to show some progress, he has three more years.

PDL is in a different boat as he has not yet earned a 40-man spot. A strong recovery and he will – or he might get taken this time in the Rule 5 draft.

flood21
    Participant

Thought I’d play the game too. Twelve position players on each team, will figure out my pitching staff later.

Memphis
    C Knizner , Pena
    1- Voit , Ravelo (OF)
    2-Schrock , Valera (OF)
    SS-Munoz , Tovar
    3- Wisdom
    OF- O’Neill , Schaffer(p)
    OF- Mercado

Springfield
    C- Martinez , Baron
    1- Nogowski
    2- Seferina , Urias
    SS- Sosa
    3- Young , Caldwell
    OF-Arozarena
    OF-Billings
    OF- Drake , Thomas

Palm Beach
    C-O’Keefe , McCarvel
    1- Trosclair
    2- Robertson , Dykstra
    SS- Edman , Ascancio
    3- Hudzina
    OF-Jackson
    OF- Carlson
    OF- Woodman , Moreno

Peoria
    C- Lopez , Lancaster(1)
    1- Yepez
    2- Davis , Lopes
    SS- Figuroa
    3- Mendoza , Y.Gonzalez
    OF-Plummer
    OF-Pinder
    OF-Hurst , Denton

Yepez and Mendoza deserve to be at Palm Beach and will probably be by mid season.

Had some problems with typing so had to edit.

flood21
    Participant

Garcia is my 3rd Outfielder for Memphis. (Had edit problems)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing, flood21.

Off the top of my head, here are some of the guys who would be without jobs: Alex Mejia, Leobaldo Pina, Chris Chinea, Casey Grayson, Jose Godoy, Jose Martinez (ss).

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Possibly the best Memphis rotation ever to start tge season if Reyes starts there in rehab. Potentially 5 top 10 ranked players with 2 in top 100 nationally.

Reyes (1)
    Flaherty (2)
    Hudson (6)
    Heisly (9)
    Gomber (10)

Springfield is almost equally as loaded

Hicks (7)
    Greene (15 – estimate)
    Fernandez (16)
    Woodford (17)
    Jones (23)

No guarantee those will be the starters but the possibilty is impressive.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Where does Poncedeleon fit in your roster prediction CC? Memphis bullpen?

858booyah
    Participant

Maybe one or the other piggybacks.

I think we need to cool the expectations on Reyes a bit. He may not be starter ready off top even for Memphis.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  858booyah.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

I agree with you Booyah. I actually expect Reyes to start the season on the DL

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Yes, BHC, in that scenario both Poncedeleon and Gant would start in the Memphis bullpen.

I wonder from a mental standpoint which is better for Poncedeleon. If starting, maybe he can prepare himself better mentally for facing hitters or maybe it would give him too much time to think and develop anxiety. As a reliever, he would have to come in more often and wouldnt have as much time to either prepare mentally or obsess.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Yes, BHC, in that scenario both Poncedeleon and Gant would start in the Memphis bullpen.

I wonder from a mental standpoint which is better for Poncedeleon. If starting, maybe he can prepare himself better mentally for facing hitters or maybe it would give him too much time to think and develop anxiety. As a reliever, he would have to come in more often and wouldnt have as much time to either prepare mentally or obsess.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Ok, this edit function officially blows!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I have the Memphis bullpen just as crowded with:

Lucas
    Sherrif
    Mayers
    Wick
    Gant
    Poncedeleon
    Morales
    Ar Reyes
    Herbert

And then you have the NRIs and off season Latin signings

Gilmartin
    Schafer
    Guilmar
    Mijuca
    Molina
    Vilalobos

No.wonder Neilsen retired!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Not sure why this keeps double posting . Grrrr

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Its crazy how Nielsen was one of the better pitchers in Memphis, posted career numbers and was still demoted over guys like Zeid and Gilmartin.

I don’t get bringing back Mujica since his MLB career seems to be over and he will be taking a spot from one of the actual prospects.

PadsFS
    Participant

Mujica had an injury which really affected him in 2016. Perhaps his wrist didn’t fully heal.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Mujica is the lowest of low-risk additions. He won’t even take innings away from prospects in MLB camp.

858booyah
    Participant

Cross Wick of that Memphis list CC.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Wick isn’t gone yet. He may very well pass through waivers.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

That was a simple days work. Just replace Wick with Motte in the Memphis bullpen scrum.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Its becoming increasing difficult for me to predict a landing spot for Carlson in ’18. The general consensus is that as a 18 y.o., playing low-A ball, he did a damn fine job. Not great just fine. That obviously hasn’t dissuaded almost anyone from jumping off his potential. And rightly so.

He’s probably too young to make the jump to AA Springfield to start the season, but the FSL may not be the place to increase his offensive confidence. Still that appears to be his fate.

I’m not sure if the organization has looked at moving him to first base. He has the build and the good footwork that could project him there. If he makes that switch, he could start the season at Peoria again and if he succeeds in the new position he can move up to Palm Beach during the season and get a shot at AA in ’19. For April’18… Palm Beach’s OF or 1B at Peoria??

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I dont agree with prospects avoiding PB. First, what most people dont realize is that almost all of the negative park figures are for LH hitters. For RH hitters it is basically a normal place. Second, what a great way to teach hitters the value of hitting line drives and taking walks!

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.