Mike Leake trade

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Mike Leake trade

This topic contains 62 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  mudville 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author

14NyquisT
    Participant

It would be nice to give Fowler the same treatment as Leake. Dump some of the other way to over-spent money to free up some room for the advancing OF prospects. Fowler is not what what we got as advertised by the media and blogs and their followers.

After this thread is finished we won’t hear about Leake ever again… Seattle is on the left coast and the dark side of the moon. Plus it’s in the AL. OAK is about the same… and maybe a good landing spot for Fowler. Of course we’ll have to pay a lot of that crazy $$ we contracted him for but his replacement will be earning a lot less and provide us with better offense and defense. Fowler will go down in Cardinal lore as one of the worst free-agent signings ever. Shame on Mozeliak.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

This offense is in such dire straights that the guy you want to dump, Fowler, is the cleanup hitter!

His .829 OPS is better than a majority of the lineup, including Molina, Carpenter, Gyorko, Piscotty, and Grichuk. Only Pham, DeJong and Wong are higher.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Rats, you are correct. Fowler .258, Grichuk .240, Carp .243, Piscotty .238, Molina .280. Molina is certainly not the worst hitting “regular,” but he is by far the worst running regular. His speed around the bases somewhat diminishes his BA, I think.

But 30% of payroll to two players is not good, unless you’re Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. And that point is not lost on Waino, I’m pretty sure. He knows the cost benefit of his performance, Molina not so much, but he’s with us till 2020.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW…. IMO, Fowler is not the way to go moving forward. Too many dollars vs. what he gives us. We should of spent it on a true clean-up hitter. At some point he’ll be bumped anyway.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW, Your OPS example is weak….. he is only ahead of Carpenter by .010…. and Carp is having such a poor season that many die-hards are calling for him to be traded!!!!
    The majority that you so boldly point out is razor thin and could be different by Sunday. Then you’ll have to find some other # to get your “majority”. šŸ™‚ Give it up, Fowler makes too much for what he adds. Period!!!

PadsFS
    Participant

He’s the worst by any measure other than batting average. Sorry. He has the worst wRC+ and OPS+ on the team after Grichuk’s surge. (among regulars)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Mike Leake beat the Rangers last night to go 3-0 with a 2.41 ERA (no homers, two walks in 18 2/3 innings) since the trade to Seattle.

mudville
    Participant

That proves that it wasn’t his ability that prevented him from winning here. It was his character. This guy is the worst head case to ever wear a Cardinal uniform. Glad he’s in the other league. Glad he’s at the farthest he could be from St. Louis for half of the season. Thank you, MO, for acknowledging your mistake and doing something about it.

Bw52
    Participant

If MO had really wanted to acknowledge another mistake he would get Fowler gone.He can be replaced by younger and cheaper and better defensive players.I think Bader could do the job or Grichuk.It was a desperation move by MO and he way overpaid for way too long.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Fowler is Mo’s second desperate OF acquisition and both turned out horrible. Couldn’t he have foreseen that the Cards would have an OF glut this early on after Fowler’s signing? With all the build up that DF got, he’s not as advertised and now becomes someone who is blocking younger players that project higher that him (Sierra for one). There has to be one club that Fowler would except a trade to that needs a salary dump like we do. What we can get in return won’t equal what some thought was a superstar CF with one good season under his belt. Mo…. cut bait… and let’s move on. Keeping him here with his contract will only make matters worse and remind folks of a big bad mistake. KIR, keeping it real.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  14NyquisT.

gscottar
    Participant

Mets might have interest in Fowler, but like I’ve said before, we don’t have many LH bats in the lineup.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Metsies don’t have any bats at all.

mudville
    Participant

The Orioles were interested in him last winter, also. I like him. But I agree that he is blocking some young players. And I’d rather see Pham in CF than Fowler.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsā„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years