Matheny as manager – fired 7/14

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Matheny as manager – fired 7/14

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 1,000 total)
  • Author
    NJ315
    Participant

Matheny shields his players from the negativity that comes from losing and takes that on himself letting his players worry only about playing. Making a statement of having his players back make him and strong leader. I wish he would translate that into showing those qualities during in game decisions. Overall he is too stubborn to learn and that will be his undoing.

bccran
    Participant

That’s a very interesting and fair assessment, NJ. Thanks for bringing it forward.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He’s doing a bang up job today managing his bullpen.

bccran
    Participant

He never should have thrown those gopher balls.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Like bringing in Oh in a 1-1 game with a week to go? Stand up job my Matheny.

bccran
    Participant

Your turn, BlackHills. What are Mike Matheny’s strengths and weaknesses as a manager?

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tell me Black Hills; If Oh had set them down 1-2-3 would you have said Matheny made the right choice? Who hasn’t been torched in our bullpen lately? Hard to say who has been the most effective. Maybe Lyons and Brebbia. But if they are the best are you going to bring them in in the middle of a 1-1 game. Maybe Alcantara who has been effective since giving up a homer to the first major league batter he faced. But if it went bad you would be the first to say that he shouldn’t have exposed him that way.

Still everyone dealing with generalities.

Matheny does a poor job managing the bullpen. How so

He is too stubborn to learn; learn what he should do different. What should it be. When did he make a stubborn decision.

I’m still not sure how I would rate Matheny. He has had a winning team each year and I don’t buy the superior talent bit. He had just lost arguably the best power hitter in Cardinal history and did OK. He has had terrible luck (if it is luck) with pitcher injuries. He hasn’t had a decent #3 and #4 hitter for some time. Maybe due to him being so stubborn.

He is certainly not at the Herzog level yet. Herzog was a keen judge of talent (and i think Matheny is not bad here) and did a great job of using players at the right time even through sending them to the minors to get their timing back. I think was superior tactically which is hard for me to judge but obviously not to others. LaRussa rarely made a decision that was not computer driven but who am I to criticize. The guy has won the third most games in major league history. He was almost #2 (John McGraw) and #1 (Connie Mack) was the owner of the team he managed. LaRussa was superior in identifying the needed roles to win and somehow got pretty good players into those roles.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have been on the fence about Matheny. He just tipped me over against him with his comment that he would support players who protest during the national anthem.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

How about Oh has been a bad pitcher for most of the season so why bring him into that situation? Because MM falls in love with players (ie Allen Craig) and doesn’t realize when it’s time to use them or not use them. Not that complicated but MM isn’t that smart and looking at some his fanboys the same can be said about them.

bccran
    Participant

Huge series this week against the Cubs. Let’s get behind the Cards in full support and hope for some loses by the Brewers and the Rockies.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with you CC. Political statements don’t belong on the field.

bccran
    Participant

He may go the way of a former Mizzou football coach if he’s not careful.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bccran
    Participant

Interesting comments about bullpens.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

DeWitt has been very clear that Matheny will be our manager for the foreseeable future so I don’t know why we continue to debate it. Let’s focus our attention on more important matters like how Mo and Girsch are going to revamp this team this winter so we can finally take down the stinking Cubs!

bccran
    Participant

It will be an interesting case study in how a number of present Cardinals are viewed. Right now, they probably have Fowler and Pham penciled into the OF for 2018. That leaves one Of slot open. With
    Piscotty (who they are still high on), Grichuk, Martinez, Bader, O’Neill, Adolis Garcia, Sierra, Mercado, and Arozarena in the organization, will they go outside for a big OF bat who will require (or already has) a long term contract? Or will they take a look at a possibly brittle Gyorko who should probably be a super sub anyway and not a starter, and go outside for a big 3B bat. My guess is the latter.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

That is really to bad that Dimwitt is to stupid to see how big of an issue MM is as the head coach, i guess if he wants to keep being an average team go ahead and keep a below average manager around.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

It wont matter what moves are made if MM is still the manager. I didn’t the like the hire from Day 1 and every single year MM defends my original view of him.

bccran
    Participant

I respect the Dewitt Family’s experience and baseball acumen. It goes all the way back to Bill Dewitt Jr.’s father who was a protégé of Branch Rickey. The trail leads from the Cardinals to the Browns to the Orioles to the Reds and back to the Cardinals of today. I’ll have to remain in the position of respecting Bill Dewitt Jr’s decisions. His track record speaks for itself, and he’s one of the most respected executives in Major League Baseball.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

His comment about the bullpen was interesting. I figured MM wouldn’t be fired before he started his new 3 year contract in 2018. If he misses the playoffs next year for the 3rd straight season I think it would be safe to assume Matheny would be on the hot seat.

bccran
    Participant

BH – Agree 100% regarding your hot seat comment if he misses the playoff both this year and next.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

If Matheny lasts that long and actually misses the playoffs three straight years he shouldn’t be on the hot seat he should be fired…actually if we miss this year he should be fired along with Mo and Girsch or whatever his name is…

bccran
    Participant

Logan Trump?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting data here. It suggests to me that injuries were not a major factor for the Cards this year in comparison to their peers. Their number of games lost is among the bottom half-dozen teams. And the quality of the players who were out (denoted by the size of the circle) looks to be no more than middle of the pack.

https://twitter.com/ManGamesLostMLB/status/912409419337670656/photo/1

forsch31
    Participant

Free

bccran

Participant

Instead of opinions, let’s look at the changing face of the Cardinals roster over the past number of years and see what it tells us –

2010 –
    2011 – Pujols/Holliday/Berkman/Rasmus/Molina/Freese/Theriot/Schumaker
    2012 – Holliday/Beltran/Craig/Molina/Freese/Descalso/Furcal/Jay
    2013 – Holliday/Beltran/Carpenter/Craig/Freese/Molina/Kozma/Jay
    2014 – Holliday/Peralta/Craig/Jay/Wong/Adams/Molina/Carpenter
    2015 – Holliday/Peralta/Carpenter/Reynolds/Wong/Bourjos/Heyward/Molina
    2016 – Holliday(injured)/Peralta(injured)/Adams/Wong/Molina/Diaz/Grichuk/Piscotty
    2017 – DeJong/Carpenter/Molina/Wong/Gyorko/Pham/Fowler/Piscotty

In an objective way, please notice the shift. There’s simply no experienced big bat meat in the middle of the lineup anymore. The failures of Grichuk and Piscotty as well as Adams have been monumental. Risks that haven’t paid off. We’ve gone from Pujols/Holliday/Berkman to (last night) Fowler/Martinez/Molina.

Matheny doesn’t have a top tier lineup like the Cubs, Nationals, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Indians, Astros, etc. That’s why I tend to be less harsh than other posters.

BA OPS HR Runs ERA RA Wins
    2010 0.263 0.733 150 736 3.57 641 86
    2011 0.273 0.766 162 762 3.74 692 90
    2012 0.271 0.759 159 765 3.71 648 88
    2013 0.269 0.733 125 783 3.42 596 97
    2014 0.253 0.689 105 619 3.50 603 90
    2015 0.253 0.716 137 647 2.94 525 100
    2016 0.255 0.767 225 779 4.08 712 86
    2017 0.260 0.767 186 737 3.95 660

Notice our runs scored went up in 2012 and again in 2013 without Pujols.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 1,000 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years