Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Marlins Yelich-Ozuna trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 208 total)
  • Author
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

That ended up being a steal from the Marlins.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Considering that in two years Boras will be asking for 8 years and 200M for Ozuna, I think this was a reasonable trade.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a bad deal ;
    Cards get a 2 time ALLSTAR for 2 years and a chance for him to want to stay in STlouis
    Marlins get Alcantara a hard throwing RP who has some control issues.
    Sierra a speedy 4th OF
    Gallen a RHP with potential
    and a long term pitching prospect.
    Not a bad deal at all.Cards dealt from areas that they felt they had surplus and got a big bat .

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont know what Gallen’s ceiling is but he has accomplished a rare feet in making it to AAA at 21 as a college draftee. Particularly as a 3rd rounder.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gallen’s likely future role is a No. 5 starter, floor as a middle reliever because he lacks a quality pitch to neutralize lefties. Ceiling: No. 3-4 starter which is best-case.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Good deal i think…

sierra we are dealing from strength and i’m not sure he will hit. if he does, it’s a loss but i highly doubt it is an impact loss when we are dealing FOR a guy that plays the outfield with a much bigger bat.

alcantara could be huge… or not. he struggled badly in aa to start the year and turned it on toward the end of the year. huge arm but you have to give up something.

gallen? derek covered him. if he sticks as a starter he’s a loss… from a team that has a ton of guys like that.

and the other guy is a project.

we didn’t lose guys that i feel like would have been a long term loss to our team. i think we have to call this a win.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the trade. Ozuna was a center fielder so he should do well in left. I think he may be more durable than Stanton and I thought he looked like a very tough out in the games we played against Miami. Don’t know what his production really was but that was my impression.

Alcantara will probably be a good major league pitcher, maybe even next year. He almost had to be included in this kind of deal. Sierra good defensively but did not move Mercado out of center field at Springfield and has less power.

Bader, Adolis Garcia and O’Neill give us plenty of insurance in the outfield. I expect them to start at Memphis in 18 and Jose Martinez probably starts the season in St. Louis. They need to move Mercado up to Memphis but probably doable with the number of DH games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I may be in the minority, but I was a bit disappointed this afternoon when I read that Adolis Garcia might be in the deal and was a bit relieved when it turned out to be Sierra instead. Seems odd when Sierra is ranked a better prospect, but I just think there is more runway for Garcia. He is only a year in.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Agreed, I prefer Adolis Garcia to Sierra

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Same here.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I never thought much of Sierra other than speed. His arm was wild and I thought his defense was suspect. There’s a million of those guys out there. Bader would be a better 4th OF’er.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I cast my vote officially as positive on this deal. When it looked like Alcantara and Flaherty were part of the deal, I was negative. But now the deal makes more sense, as Sierra looks to be blocked for awhile, and while the lower level pitchers may work out for Miami, they are taking on more risk. Hate to give up Alcantara, but that is what it takes to get a premium player.

It’s not exactly a steal in my opinion, as the jury is still out on Ozuna maintaining his production, and then you’ve got only two years before he could move on. And then if Alcantara has his location, he could be Miami’s all-star this coming July.

An outfield of Pham, Fowler and Ozuna, with Bader as the fourth guy looks pretty good.

One word of caution to throw out there – as I mentioned earlier our offense was not all that bad last year. We were sixth in the NL in runs scored. Where we have regressed the last two years is in runs allowed. Our offensive “woes” were magnified by poor pitching and defense, not too mention giving away far too many outs on the base paths. I suppose one way to fix that is just overpower teams so you can live with giving up more runs. But we need to get better in field as well, and somehow keep our head in the game on the bases.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked watching Mags, but realistically he was a speed guy whose peak was probably an average hitter with little power and good defense. Alcantara is potentially good, but we don’t lack power arms in the system.

Ozuna is a clear upgrade over Piscotty from last year. The question is…is 2017 what we can expect the next two years?

I’m also curious what the OF rotation will look like. One of Piscotty and Grichuk seems likely to go, if not both…and there’s still Bader to look at. Hopefully Pham looks closer to his 2017 self than before and the Of should be pretty good.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BikeMike,I think right now, Grichuk and Jose Martinez are your reserve outfielders. Bader still blocked, IMO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Sierra and Gallen are “lesser” ilk? With Alcantara also gone, that’s #7-#8-#9 out the window. This Ozuna better hit like the lights went out. If he has a Fowler-esque season… FO resignations should be demanded.
    Giving away 3 very highly regarded prospects for a guy with one good MLB season is highly questionable. IMO, the trio above should have and could have brought in a better player. (Yelich)

Jeter and Co. should be feeling pretty damn good today for the gift package they received. The Cards can assess the carnage during the summer.

Good luck to all four Cardinals going to Miami. They will be playing MLB sooner but MIA will be a team in sheer distress. Nobody was going to their games with Stanton.

I’m a Cardinal fan…. of course I’m angry.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I spent most of the yesterday looking at some prospects in the 30-50 range to surmise who would be headed to Miami with Alcantara. I guess Jeter and Co. mesmerized Girshe to give up much higher prospects. Or it could have been those Pina coladas. A lot of Card fans don’t know the difference and think of top-10, nearly ready for MLB, prospects as cord wood.

14NyquisT
    Participant

As I read along here… now the guys that selected Alcantara-Gallen-Sierra into our top-10 are finding flaws in them. Wait… what? Thursday morning QBs drinking the kool-aid.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of Cards fans also realize that Sierra is probably never going to be anything but a 4th OF.Alcantara who is a real talent but Cards have a abundance of pitching so you deal from depth.Gallen could be a solid pitcher and i like his potential.THIS FACT REMAINS ;Cards got a 2 time allstar OF who possibly could end up staying term for a top prospect (Alcantara-who has proved nohing other than he can throw hard with control issues) Gallen- a POTENTIAL Solid pitcher.sIERRA-A SPEEDY BANJO BAT of AND A Long term prospect.
    So it cost a bit.Cards still have several rising Piching AND of prospects.NYquis you should realize that it does take quality to get quality .

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nyquis-which did the Cards need now ?Alcantara,Gallen,Sierra or Ozuna to be a serious contender?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This. Alcantara could turn into an ace, Sierra could be Kevin Kiermaier lite and Gallen could be a mid rotation starter while Ozuna looks no better than Piscotty would have, which could make this trade look silly. Or we could have just gotten a middle of the order bat and solid defender for a reliever, back end starter and reserve OF.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

What part of having to give up something to get something is so hard to comprehend?

My feelings on the prospects we sent havent changed.

Gallen still dominated the acc in college and needs another pitch to stick long term despite his success.

Alcantara still needs consistency and to learn how to channel that talent… And was one of about thirteen guys who needed room in the bigs in the next two years.

Sierra had issues hitting at aa… And nobody knows if he will fully develop into a stud. And we have …how many outfielders with similar upside? (A TON is the answer) IMO we sold relatively high on his mlb hype. If he develops… Well we got an allstar in return. I will take it.

… And I still dont know who the last guy is. Maybe I should.

Point with all this… We had to be willing to package prospects to get players. Our situation demanded it. Did you expect an unrealistic valuation given how highly I think of our system? You have to pay to play the game.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Um Ozuna looks head and shoulders better than Piscotty has ever looked. And while we gave up some prospects not really anything i would lose sleep over, really think the Cards got the far better end of this deal and it is not even close.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sierra’s value depends on who is around him. If I have Schwarber in LF and JD Martinez in right, I want a Sierra in CF even over Bader.

PadsFS
    Participant

I agree that lesser ilk didn’t accurately describe Sierra or Gallen. Nor did minor leaguers since Sierra was more of a ML player than Alcantara.

I didn’t care for that round of voting (#6-10) during our vote. EVERYONE went with some combo of Alcantara, Hudson and Sierra for #6-8, but then the votes scattered, there was, imo, a clear top 8 players that all could make a MLB top-100 list, which we saw at mid-season when those lists came out and several players were rated on several different lists. At #9 and 10, we end up with Gallen and Gomber.

Gallen was probably around #14-15 for me. I definitely liked Alcantara (#6), Hudson (#7), and Sierra (#8), but I have Arozarena, Perez, Garcia, Hicks, and Gomber over Gallen. Gallen would be there with Knizner, just before Helsley, Fernandez, and Woodford. Fangraphs is the only major publication to put out an updated prospects list and had Sierra at #4, Alcantara at #5, and Gallen down at #18.

Beyond that, there is still a massive amount of talent in our system.

We probably have another Sierra already in the system in Mercado. We have two Alcantara’s in Hicks and Fernandez, and we have Gomber and Hudson which backfill just fine for Gallen as if he had a place on our future ML roster.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

You have to give up something to get anything worth having. In THE past we gave up very little and got very little in return. This was a bold move by the Cardinals and it’s about time. Good job Junior and the gang. But don’t stop…get some more QUALITY.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 208 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.