Luke Gregerson – Closer

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Luke Gregerson – Closer

This topic contains 89 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  mudville 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author

Nigel T
    Participant

I think the Memphis shuttle comment infers that the 13th guy will be organizational guys who are not in a rotation until those plays dry up.
    I would guess Lucas, Wick, etc…would be the first calls rather than more talented rotation guys. I would also guess younger guys with lower inning limits like Hicks and Fernandez may be the first to get pulled from rotations because this doesn’t diminish their perceived trade value like it night for Hudson or another guy trying to prove he is a starter.
    Reyes should take a few rehab starts to work command and build strength. I would guess they could even burn an option since he figures to stick. Reyes could become a long fireman until he moves towards the back end.
    If he were to emerge as a top of the rotation starter, that would Trump more conservative plans.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

I actually see Reyes starting out on the DL so they don’t have to waste an option. He can rehab 30 days before coming off the DL which should give him ample time to be recovered.

Also I am in 100% agreement with Noonan regarding the Front Office.

bccran
    Participant

Sure, Mo made a mistake thinking Grichuk, Piscotty, Wong, and Adams
    would become core players. But it’s in line with the Cardinal theme that most strength comes from within. He augmented that, however, with bringing in some veteran leadership from the outside to help – Heyward, Fowler, Gyorko, and now Ozuna. Sometimes
    prospects stumble when they’re first called up from Memphis and sometimes they excel. One poster said that all 10 call-ups from Memphis last season didn’t help us
    get to the playoffs. Perhaps not, but some of them sure did their best to try – Reyes, DeJong, Martinez, Weaver, Tuivailala, etc. and they got valuable experience which bodes well for strong contributions in the future.

I still go back to the flame throwers in the minors who may be destined for the bullpen – Hicks, Helsley, Fernandez, Hudson, etc.
    I think Mo is just waiting for Holland and several others to shorter their term demands. It’s a smart move on Mo’s part. Who wants another 4 year deal for a bullpener
    ala Cecil?

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Team need another bat………………….

forsch31
    Participant

If we NEED another bat, at what position and/or in place of who?

NJ315
    Participant

Hosmer at 1B trade Carp or let him play 3rd and share time with Gyorko. Or trade Gyorko.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Cecil only had 2-3 good years before signing with us and he actually had a better year with us last year than his last year in Toronto. My whole take is Mo is not as good at evaluating talent as people want to give him credit for. That’s why we overpaid for Leake and Cecil who are mediocre pitchers. Nicasio signed a 2 year contract. What was wrong with re-signing him after we traded for him. That trade comes down to being entirely pointless and a waste-another Mo specialty.

bccran
    Participant

I like Mo, but sometimes his moves are head scratching. I thought he would sign Nicasio as soon as possible when the off season started.
    Natural fit. He had performed well here, and he had stated he would like to stay here. Puzzling.

PadsFS
    Participant

Cecil didn’t convert to relief pitching until a few years ago. He was also injured in 2016 some if I recall correctly.

For all those against Greg Holland, I noticed his ZIPs projection of 1.4 is higher than any of our relievers.

Ours go:
    Cecil – 1.1
    Bowman – 0.9
    Gregerson – 0.9
    Lyons – 0.9
    Tuivailala – 0.7
    Brebbia – 0.6

thejager
    Participant

team front line starter

mudville
    Participant

I think just about anybody would like to have Holland. But at what price?

bccran
    Participant

I wonder if they’re thinking about slotting Leone at closer. The stats and bulldog attitude seem to be there.

Bw52
    Participant

I think it will be Gregerson,Lyons,Leone starting the season as 3 headed closer.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

To be fair… We could have a line on an elite guy. Throw one of those in and our bullpen looks extremely solid in both depth and quality.

PadsFS
    Participant

(Assuming we go with 7 relievers)
    Well, now that Leone is on board, we’ve at least pushed Sherriff back to AAA. If we acquire another bullpen piece, it will be at the expense of someone that is pretty good. Tuivailala is out of options and Brebbia and Bowman have options, but were more reliable in 2017. Cecil, Lyons, Gregerson, and Leone are all fixtures in the BP.

(Assuming we go with 8 relievers)
    Now that Leone is here, we will still have Sherriff in the bullpen so acquiring another bullpen piece would just push Sherriff out to AAA.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

There is no reason to not assume eight relievers (other than the first week of the season perhaps). Mo was very clear about that.

I suspect we will see someone else signed. I doubt he will be an “elite” guy, though. (Just a guess – no inside information implied.)

PadsFS
    Participant

With the Grichuk trade and the arbitration salaries set, I have our payroll at $141.59M.

With our typical 5% payroll growth over the last ten years, That leaves $17.15M to spend for 2018.

If we go to $175M as Goold indicated, that would leave $33.42M to spend still.

I bet they still add Holland personally.

NJ315
    Participant

I hope they add Hosmer.

gscottar
    Participant

There are still a lot of players still on the board and we still have a lot of dry powder. Hopefully Mo will get the green light to light the fuse and hopefully he will have the gumption to do it.

If we signed Hosmer and Holland that would put us around $175. If we signed Hosmer and Lynn/Cobb that would put us around $175. There are still options out there if we choose to do it. Otherwise it is wait until July. It wouldn’t surprise me if some of these free agents decide to take a short term pillow deal.

stlcard25
    Participant

In hindsight, how much better would it have been to overwhelm a guy like Kenley Jansen (who was my personal favorite free agent in 2016) than have to pay for a Greg Holland this year? 5/90 may have pulled him away from the Dodgers.

I’d rather take a chance on one of the AA/AAA arms than spend huge money on a 32 year old closer.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Hosmer isnt worth the money. We dont need another mediocre high paid player.

NJ315
    Participant

He is not mediocre just not elite. He is a good compliment to Ozuna. They are both young and can be good together. As far as the money goes he will be paid accordingly. He is not getting Stanton, Harper, Machado, Trout type contract. What player that is better than Hosmer will get paid less than him? Money is an investing and like with any investment there are risks. But he won’t get 10 years or over 200 million.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  NJ315.

PadsFS
    Participant

If Moustakas is going to sign for Jay Bruce money, then he would be a much better option than Hosmer.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Hes barely above average. There is a word for that.

Mediocre.

mudville
    Participant

I hope they don’t add Hosmer or Moustakas.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.