Logan Morrison free agent thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Logan Morrison free agent thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Rob Rains:

“Indications Tuesday were that the 30-year-old Morrison was considering offers from both the Cardinals and the Los Angeles Angels.”

https://www.stlsportspage.net/CARDSBASEBALL/tabid/91/entryid/11949/cardinals-have-had-conversations-with-free-agent-logan-morrison.aspx

On a potentially-related point, the P-D reports the Cards told Carpenter to be ready to play multiple positions in 2018. And they are laying the groundwork to move Fowler out of center.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinals-prepare-fowler-for-possible-move-to-corner-outfield-position/article_d5d5c943-0f6d-5975-8590-9cdfb8ee8120.html

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Interesting on the Carpenter comment. He’s not good defensively anywhere, so first base is probably the best place to have him. But then he does not provide the run production you like to see from a first baseman. He sort of cramps our lineup because he does one thing good, get on base, but his game is not complete enough to where you can count on him to do a lot of other things. He’s bad defensively, not a particularly good base runner, and does not move runners over or in very well.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Morrison is the type of low hanging fruit we all get upset about. He had a breakout year at 29 (2017 season). No thanks!

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Ehh one career year and nothing else higher than 23 hrs not sure i sold on him at all.

philcron77
    Participant

Free

Dont like chasing 30 year old players coming off a breakout year who strikesout a ton. Especially when he will be looking for at least 15 mil a year probably.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

not a fan of this unless it comes along with several other moves… and even then im not sure id want him… it’s not that he is bad but he seems the last thing we need right now…

maybe he’s good friends with Stanton from his time in MIA… 😛

NJ315
    Participant

We have a better and cheaper version….Pham. Unless his vision is an issue.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems to me 29 year old Pham had a breakout year last season also and struckout over 100 times also.Morrison did have a breakout year and he also got more ABs than ever before.If he can be signed for a short term deal 2 years for reasonable price then why not?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Bw52 we need someone who is not low hanging fruit. I mean if you’re fine with mediocrity then so be it but other fans have a higher standard when talking about a quality bat.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BHC- i have been following the Cards for over 50 years.I am not satisfied with mediocrity.I realize Morrison is not the greatest player.I also think a signing of Morrison would not be the only bat MO and Girsch trade for.I would love to see Stanton in Cardinal land but i think the FO needs to cover all areas.Besides i think Morrison goes to KC.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Get rid of this crap!!!!

No one wants him and no one accept this BS any longer from ownership! He’ll be hated more than Tino was.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so no moves unless they are Stanton Trout Harper Machado KErshaw Scherzer etc…everything else is worthless eh?

im not so against Morrison only against him as the only move…if he was acquired along with other solutions then so be it…

to me i just think JMart isnt much worse than him except you lose potential power…but gain average…aND Jose Martinez wont cost huge money

he just seems a sidestep but without LOTS more moves i cant see the point in him

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Instead of hysterical rantings why not wait and see what unfolds over the offseason before getting the pitchforks and torches ready.I am as impatient as any fan but i am not jumping over the cliff or leading the rabble marching on DeWitts office.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not hysterical, but am also discouraged they are not aiming higher.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

You guys need to relax and LOWER your expectations way way down there. Other teams in the Cardinal’s position would go big in the off-season. They’d trade for Stanton, sign Morrison and bring in Arieta or Darvish. This Front Office does not operate that way and they are not going to suddenly start free spending or trade those top prospects. IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! They will sign a second tier bat, like Morrison or someone else of that ilk. They’ll find a closer and maybe another bullpen pitcher and they’ll be done and go to spring training. If you are a Cardinal fan you need to get used to the way things are done. I long ago lost my angst over this organization and accept their band-aid and promises approach to the off-season and the deadline and I am at peace with the world.

NJ315
    Participant

I am not sure why are they even talking to this guy. We have a team full of Morrisons…many of them way cheaper.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Nate, I see you have come back to troll some more. I hope one of these days you stop with the drive-by diatribes about how the front office will do nothing. Why not give a constructive opinion on what the should do or state an opinion on why they should not do something?

As for Morrison, if he has finally found the potential that he once showed, he could be of help but I don’t see how he improves our team much more than what we already have. Maybe by having Carpenter as the super sub, there is an improvement. One thing that Morrison does bring is a LH bat.

PadsFS
    Participant

Morrison and Martinez would be a heck of a platoon at 1B.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

We had a Logan Morrison last season and traded him to Atlanta.

NJ315
    Participant

Platoon at first. Then send Carpenter packing. How much money is Morrison going to get? This going after the same types of players is getting old.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

This only makes sense if they trade carpenter.

PadsFS
    Participant

BlackHillsCard
    We had a Logan Morrison last season and traded him to Atlanta.

Did we? I don’t recall Adams hitting 38 homeruns and before you mention that he hasn’t gotten the 600 PAs that Morrison got, that’s because he couldn’t.

I don’t have any desire to get Morrison with our current team, but I could see a smart platoon opportunity with him at 1B. He draws walks far better than Adams.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

forsch: I am no more of a troll than you or anyone else.

I complain about the front office doing nothing because the front office does nothing to make the team appreciably better when clear needs are there every year.

I have said for years to get Stanton

They also need another bat Votto at first would be nice.

A quality starter from the outside…Arieta or Darvish would be nice.

A closer…Davis or someone of that type.

They need to go BIG or sell and rebuild. Band-aids and promises does not work.

I have suggested moves for years but they do nothing in perpetuity and it is frustrating for a lifelong Cardinal fan.

I don’t expect this off-season to be any different.

I hope they surprise me.

Have a nice day Forsch

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

nate, I don’t recall you saying anything about Stanton, though I might be wrong about that. You did campaign for several years to get Goldschmidt, even though by all appearances, he was not available. Your answer was to offer the entire farm system for him, then. If I remember correctly, you also wanted CarGo, who was already on the downhill slide. I know for sure you shifted to free agent Chris Davis, who has been a terribly expensive bust for the Orioles.

Bottom line, I am pretty sure the Cards would be in far worse shape than they are if they had followed your advice over the years. Perhaps knowing that in your heart, you instead just make the same generic “they will do nothing” posts over and over. Getting specific does not usually work out well for you.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Nate’s answer to everything is to go give away the farm or 300 million for the best player du jour.

Not practical even if he does have a point that they really do have a tendency to do nothing repeatedly.

You notice that every player he mentioned is pretty much the highest paid guy available?

Morrison makes sense if they trade carpenter for stanton… Or similar. That’s the best I got. For all I ripped on carpenter this last year he was an above average 1b…

I think a platoon with morrison and martinez (even if he regresses a bit) could do just as well if not better.

That’s actually saying a lot…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.