Lilliquist, Ilsley Let Go – Maddux new PC

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lilliquist, Ilsley Let Go – Maddux new PC

This topic contains 76 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

I’d be fine with Hickey or Maddox. I don’t know enough about Bosio though.

gscottar
    Participant

I would be fine with any of the three. Maybe Eversgard will get the bullpen job. Would be a nice promotion for him.

thejager
    Participant

I think Eversgard will get a look but will probably end up with the bullpen coach job as long as the new pitchign coach is cool with it

I like Maddux and Hickey…but we will have to really drop coin to pry hickey i think from the Cubs grasp

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

This article makes the case for John Smoltz for pitching coach

St. Louis Cardinals: The ideal pitching coach nobody saw coming

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Thanks, CC, but I am not even going to waste any time reading it. Smoltz has been clear in recent years that he does not embrace analytics.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Indians named Carl Willis their new pitching coach. He had been the Red Sox pitching coach under John Farrell. Cleveland’s prior pitching coach, Mickey Calloway, is the Mets new manager.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Twins also add new pitching coach, a guy named Garvin Alston. He was Oakland’s bullpen coach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Ken Rosenthal reporting via Twitter that Mike Maddux will be the new Cardinals pitching coach. Jon Heyman now also saying same thing.

gscottar
    Participant

Works for me. I assume Hickey is going to the Cubs.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  gscottar.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Not surprisingly, Eversgerd was given the bullpen job.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Derek Shore
    Participant

Hickey to the Cubs:

SoonerinNC
    Participant

I suspect that the reason Bosio was let go was to hire Hickey. Had he not been available the Cubs would likely have stuck with Bosio.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Have read probably 10 articles on the Maddux signing. Lots of accolades about his teaching and handling of pitchers. Not one mentioned of his use of analytics.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Within descriptions of Maddux’s approach – from his early arrival at the ballpark to his extensive use of analytics for scouting – is the framework of what the Cardinals want from a different look in his role. The Cardinals want a coordinator as well as coach

From the Post-Dispatch article below
    Cardinals hire Mike Maddux as pitching coach, promote Eversgerd

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by UConn Card UConn Card.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

According to Ken Rosenthal, Maddux had five offers, but of course, the Cards were said to be his first choice.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

A friend of mine from DC told me that Maddux was making $2 MM per year on his two year deal with Washington that had just ended. It will be interesting to see what he got from StL, if it comes out. Given he was reportedly in high demand, one could guess he did even better this time around.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Bosio went to the Tigers. Lilliquist news is non-existent.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Good story about how Mike Maddux turned the corner as a young pitcher against the 1986 Cardinals.

https://retrosimba.com/2017/11/04/cardinals-helped-mike-maddux-get-foothold-in-majors/

TexasCard
    Participant

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I wonder if there is a difference between assistant hitting coach and bullpen coach.

TexasCard
    Participant

Probably not lol.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Just thinking how it is ironic that a team with bullpen issues hired a pitching coach coming from a team that has suffered the last few years from bullpem issues. Not saying it was Maddox’s fault or that that makes him a bad hire, just pointing out the irony.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I will preface this by saying that I got to know Brent Strom better than Derek Lilliquist, so that is bound to affect my opinion of them. And I can certainly be accused of second-guessing.

However, in reading the following story, it reminded me that the Cards had the right pitching coach in house when Duncan retired, but they gave the job to the bullpen coach Lilliquist who was more aligned with Duncan, instead of the minor league pitching coordinator Strom. Perhaps the events were affected by Duncan’s indefinite “leave of absence,” but I have always had great respect for Strom’s knowledge and was really sorry he left. I figured he would do well with Houston.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/260820376/luhnows-hiring-of-brent-strom-a-game-changer/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Well, Lilliquist did get an MLB pitching coach job – with the Nationals. So in effect, he and Maddux traded places.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.