Lilliquist, Ilsley Let Go – Maddux new PC

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lilliquist, Ilsley Let Go – Maddux new PC

This topic contains 76 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I would call Duncan a data miner. He had huge binders detailing every matchup and looked for trends to exploit.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Jenifer Langosch reports that Mo was to meet with Jim Hickey in Florida this week.

mudville
    Participant

I wonder how much Larussa would have won without Duncan’s coaching, his consultation and advice, and his reclamation projects. I don’t believe he would have won nearly as much as he did.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

La Russa was always very straightforward about the importance of Duncan.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

What no one has mentioned as part of the Baker firing in Washington is whether pitching coach Mike Maddux will be considered by the Cardinals. He is very highly respected.

858booyah
    Participant

Any news on whom the bench coach will be? It appears that all the focus will be on the Pitching Coach. Any chance it’ll be an outside hire or you think it’ll be someone that Matheny is comfortable with?

Maybe they’ll consider Mabry for bench coach and hire a new hitting coach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Not sure how you can assess that all the focus will be on the pitching coach since the bench coach job has been open for less than 24 hours so far.

Interesting thought on Mabry. If so, the hitting coach decision would also draw a lot of attention.

What I am wondering about is whether top external coaches will be reluctant to consider the Cardinals with Matheny’s future potentially hinging on next season. Long-term contract for coaches or not, a new manager might want his own guys. (That assumes it would be a veteran with some clout, not another first-timer.) Of course, there is no way to predict the future. But if I was a coaching candidate, the managerial situation would surely cross my mind.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Goo point on the potential coaching decisions. It’s obvious that Matheny’s job is on the line in 2018. Unless a guy feels very loyal to Matheny, a more stable situation would probably be more attractive than the one in St. Louis.

Then again, a more stable situation most likely will not have any openings, so a coach looking for a job may not have many options.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I bet top pitching coaches Hickey, Maddux and Farrell (if he doesn’t manage) will be in demand.

As an aside, I noted that with the departure of Bell, Bill Mueller is the only remaining member of the Cardinals staff to have ever coached at the major or minor league level with another organization. Lilliquist was another career Cardinal coach.

Internal hires are great, but it is past time for fresh ideas.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

As I said, there is demand out there. According to Bob Nightengale, the Cubs have fired their pitching coach Chris Bosio, with speculation that Maddon wants Hickey to rejoin him in Chicago. If so, Mo wasted his interview trip to Florida.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Another opening has been created. The Giants have fired pitching coach Dave Righetti, who is moving into the front office.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

If all these pitching coaches keep getting fired before long we will have to bring back Hub Kittle.

Speaking of Hub, is he still with us? Mark Riggins is still available as well.

858booyah
    Participant

Are any of these guys numbers geeks?

I’m betting on Eversgerd. It’s the right price and someone who will just be happy to have the job.

Bench coach who know….another friend of the program.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I wonder if Flores is being considered.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

I think Flores would make a better bullpen coach… we need one of them also. Not sure that he would be interested in that job though.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

I think Flores has a more important job.

TexasCard
    Participant

SO here are the teams that need pitching coaches:

Cubs
    Cardinals
    Indians
    Rays
    Mets
    Nationals
    Twins
    Giants
    Red Sox
    Royals

Have I missed any? There is some competition for the top guys and we don’t win those battles for players do we win it for coaches? The Cubs may have already beat them for the top choice.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

My money is on neither Eversgerd nor Flores. Outside candidate more likely.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Hickey is interviewing with the Cubs on Monday, according to a Chicago ESPN radio personality. Hickey reportedly already interviewed with the Red Sox in addition to with Mo.

nbr1hawkeye
    Participant

So far, all of the talk has been about the pitching coach. What about the bullpen coach? Who are the candidates? I think it should be someone who was a reliever himself.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  nbr1hawkeye.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  nbr1hawkeye.
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Let’s stop hiring guys guys with zero coaching history…have we learned nothing with the Matheny fiasco?!?

I agree with Brian that outside eyes could help us. We haven’t gotten better by promoting from within, although I do like Jason Simontachi

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Pitching coach will probably have a say in the bullpen coach selection so it will probably come later.

Onyxgem
    Participant

I am sure whoever they sign for either will be just brought up from internally or be low hanging fruit, they won’t go get anybody major.

gscottar
    Participant

We can’t beat the Cubs at anything these days. Now they will get the pitching coach we want.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Bob Nightengale tweeted that the Cards are “expected to hire Jim Hickey, Mike Maddux or Chris Bosio” as pitching coach.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years