Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Considering the qualifications they covet, they better be paying no less than 150K per year for this position. And Bobby……you strike me as a 750K per annum guy.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m with you Brother Pugs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Looks like they are taking longer to find the desired candidate. As a result, Jenifer is heading to Jupiter for spring training.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Meyers looks like he’s wearing one of those Russian hats that’s made from an otter. BTW, otters have no natural predators, and according to my understanding, if you barbecue one and try to serve it up, it will be the last barbecued otter you’ll ever serve because your guests will lynch you. OTOH, they have a voracious appetite for fish. Otters have been known to completely clean out a farmer’s fish pond in one night. They were reintroduced to Missouri a few years ago because somebody thought it was a good idea. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, you must have missed this in his profile: “Profile pic not me, but we went to the same HS.” I think he got you! 😉

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Alright. He got me.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not about sports writers but about sports anchors.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

National MLB TV game analyst to also work for an MLB team. Interesting.

https://www.mlb.com/mets/press-release/jessica-mendoza-joins-mets-as-advisor

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’d argue all of these are conflicts of interest, but Mendoza’s is possibly worse since she’s not just a face that throws on a suit for special events. She’s an true member of the front office.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jen Langosch’s replacement, Anne Rogers, will be taking over the beat after she graduates this spring. Big job to fill.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Though written by the Peoria Chiefs beat writer, this is not about baseball specifically. It is an example of the growing trend by sports teams to try to control the media who cover them by limiting access.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s so much fake news being thrown around. You’re taking a risk trusting any writer who writes in any media. Many writers collude with agents and others in order to manipulate the reader’s thinking, and many of them can’t keep their political bias out of what they write.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Here here Mud!!! These last couple years have sure been an eye opener for me.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Guy had 29 year cover the Bradley beat. Pretty sure he has no outside agenda other than wanting to cover the team and get better.

Funny that Bradley can’t do anything about the press at the MVC or NCAA Tourney. If I’m the press and know what I know about a guy getting railroaded. I’d defer all my questions to him.

dac8b9
    Participant

There’s so much fake news being thrown around. You’re taking a risk trusting any writer who writes in any media. Many writers collude with agents and others in order to manipulate the reader’s thinking, and many of them can’t keep their political bias out of what they write.

I would agree that one should be skeptical of a writer who passes off spin from certain parties as fact-based reporting. Usually it is pretty easy to distinguish with a little critical thinking. But I would also argue that many people are quick to dismiss news they don’t agree with as fake news, no matter if it is corroborated by other sources and comes from reputable reporters, simply because the news paints someone they like in a bad light. If the truth hurts, that doesn’t mean it’s not true anymore. The problem is that too much of news consumption nowadays is done from openly biased sources. Consumers have seemingly prioritized getting their news from organizations they align with ideologically, rather than prioritizing accuracy. In some ways, this has even permeated sports media.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sometimes ‘You don’t promote the Bradley Brand’ means ‘You’re slamming the team and its coaches and its Athletic Director for being inept or stupid when you know nothing about the problems that we are dealing with.’

IMO, sportswriters need to report and offer opinions/editorialize. They don’t need to be controversial. They don’t need to be smarter than everybody else. They don’t need to be fighting for some cause of their own. Just write about sports.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Employees of the Post-Dispatch and The Athletic are having a Twitter fight.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is Hensley the sports editer?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That was some petty tweeting by Hensley.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Petty, sure. But I don’t mind Saxon getting knocked down a peg or two at all. As I’ve already said, he is the reason I won’t subscribe to The Athletic. If he were to leave, they’d likely get my monthly business. Not a fan of his style or his lies.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

dac8b9
    Participant

That was some petty tweeting by Hensley

Not to mention biased and missing the point. The Athletic offers a different type of coverage than the PD. The PD will do a decent job telling the story of a game or giving a peek behind the scenes. The Athletic does that some too, but it’s not their focus. Instead, they do a lot more analysis and incorporating advanced metrics into their articles. Personally, I find that type of writing more valuable than game recaps and behind the scenes looks that the PD does, though admittedly I read it all. It’s just that I only choose to pay for The Athletic. The PD does fairly good work, especially Goold, but the quality isn’t something to be bragging about on Twitter, especially if you feel the need to put down a competitor who is trying to do it differently.

If I had to rank Cardinals writers by quality, I’d go 1. Joe Schwarz, 2. Goold, 3. Miklasz, 4. Ben Clemens, A. E. Schafer from VEB, 5. Saxon and the other PD writers.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s just me? But I get this sinking feeling that when Seymour passes, Gilston (Grandson) will have the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau on the sales block quicker than a Ponce de Leon sneaky fastball. Seymour has built such a prestigious well oiled business machine that it would be a shame to see it run into the ground. But who knows? Maybe the kid will end up being a blue chipper and the company will continue to hit on all cylinders. In most circles, “The Bureau” has been associated with the federal one. But more and more, especially with the disturbing revelations over the past couple of years, “The Bureau” now conjures up immediate thoughts of the revered Elias Sports Bureau.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SiriusXM has canceled the daily Jim Bowden-Craig Mish show after nine years, replacing it with a gambling-oriented program. I don’t have details, but I know the network has been cutting costs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Oh, no. Now I will be losing my cheap access to ESPN Insider. I could see this coming as the magazines got thinner and thinner and they dropped from every other week to monthly. For me they were airplane reading during takeoff and landing.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 176 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.