Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 4 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I have been part of the audience for video pushes from higher-ups from multiple organizations. The demographics of those who like to watch video trend younger. Younger is typically what advertisers are targeting. They spend their ad money to reach their target market segments.

So it is not driven by customer preference as much as by what the business believes will maximize their advertising revenue.

If/when advertisers stop paying premium rates for video ads, the sites like FOX will drop video like a hot potato and rush off to embrace the next new trend.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

But the catch is video only isn’t really proving to be that great for FoxSports as they are not only losing web traffic but also video impressions. Video content is useful but video only isn’t going to work in my opinion. I might be wrong but I don’t I am.

I find it weird that the market for baseball writers has been more exciting this off season than the actual players market.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Well, you are right that if FOX’s traffic trends way down, video could have been a losing decision. But the ad rates between standard articles and video are very different – not close at all. Further, this takes time to play out and for the cause and effect of traffic changes to be analyzed. There are always a number of changes going on concurrently.

To take a different course, it often requires changes at the very top of an organization, as these overconfident executives often refuse to admit their business strategy is flawed. Instead, they feel they had the wrong people to execute the plan – so they fire the old and bring in the new, burning another year or more, only to fail again. Trust me, I’ve seen it first-hand.

The only hot place for writers right now seems to be The Atlantic. The ESPNs and FOXes, along with newspapers, all continue to trend down. The Atlantic is scooping them up.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Well Jay Jaffe is heading to FanGraphs. That was a big move in my opinion. I love Jay’s HOF analysis.

I feel like I need a spreadsheet just to keep up.

Ken Rosenthal unlocked this article talking about The Athletic’s expanded MLB coverage:

https://theathletic.com/234988/2018/02/13/rosenthal-welcome-to-our-expanded-coverage-of-major-league-baseball/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Yes, Jay joined Fangraphs, but likely because SI is among those cutting back. Eno Sarris, a really, really smart guy, is among those who left Fangraphs – for The Atlantic. So there you go!

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Which brings up my mention of needing a spreadsheet to keep track of the moves. šŸ˜‰

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.