Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Less and less demand for traditional sports writers

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Brianpnoonan 6 days, 9 hours ago.

• Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Latest example of a troubling trend. FWIW, the old Scout (the one that used to be part of FOX before being sold off and going bankrupt) was pushing very hard for us to go heavy toward video.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Brian Walton.

stlcard25
    Participant

That’s why I have no interest in viewing their site anymore. Watching videos for everything is a pain in the butt.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

It is what they think advertisers want. Heck with the customers.

CariocaCardinal
      Participant

I thought it was because it was cheaper and faster than having to gather the information and then write the article (particularly for interviews).

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Just sickening.

gscottar
    Participant

I detest watching videos. I much prefer written articles.

bicyclemike
      bicyclemike

Same here. Whenever an article is accompanied with a video, I never watch the video. I just want to read about the topic. With a video, I find my mind drifting and do not get the same information as I do from reading.

But I think this is a reflection of a changing world. The younger people prefer video. Whenever my wife’s sons come over to our house, especially if there are a bunch of people around, they spend a lot of time showing everyone these funny videos they find. They pretty much do everything by video.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

I don’t really care for coaches and players interviews. If you have heard one you have heard them all. And I really don’t like it when they minimize the action and show the interview on half or even all the screen while the game is going on.

the whole world in too much into editorializing today. And ESPN doesn’t seem to be able to cover an event with less than 5 people talking.

Oh for the days of just Chris Berman, George Grande and Gail Gartner.

blingboy
    Participant

I don’t do audio recordings for all the same reasons I don’t do videos. I’ve missed a lot of content here, in the form of interviews that I would find interesting, but have never been able to work in more than a sprinkling of the audio content despite many attempts.

Maybe people who grow up watching youtube videos and whatnot prefer the video format, and I suppose it is a way to spew more content with less man hours. That seems to be what many things are all about.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

That is too bad as I just taped five interviews over the last two days with State College. Some like to hear the players’ and coaches’ voices tell the story in their own words. We don’t do it for everything obviously, but audio and video can have a place.

As a one-man band, I can’t handle a video camera and conduct an interview simultaneously, but audio works fine.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Didn’t mean to offend Brian. I do enjoy your interviews, particularly with the coaches and minor league officials. I am referring to the sideline interviews during the games.

Brian Walton
      Keymaster

No offense taken. I agree with you about in game chats. My response was more to bling.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

That trend will continue for a while but there will always be a need for good writers.

People don’t like robot voices. It may happen that someday ai will be able to imitate human writing to that point but it sure isn’t here yet… And reading isn’t declining really. Just changing formats.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.